SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DBA/IT
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on changing my starter soon, so today I got under the car to see how difficult the task would be. There's a big intake manifold support bracket(in the shape of a "V") that's completely in the way, so it looks like I'll have to take that off before having any chance of getting to the starter. Question is, does the intake manifold really need this bracket, or can I just scrap the thing(weight savings) once I take it off? Here are pics of the bracket I'm talking about:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
you should be able to remove it without going through all that stuff. Think rubberbando when you reach in there and shift and twist and turn and it will drop, If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
377 Posts
you really don't have to take it out, i just took all the bolts out of it and sort of pushed it aside. It looks like a bitch but it isn't as bad as it looks. All 4 of the support bracket bolts can be reached from the bottom, it is easier to unbolt the starter from the top though, it isn't bad, took me and a friend about 20 minutes to get it out, and me and dad about 5 to put it back in

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
it's not bad, i know ppl have taken it out, but it is hard to actually get it out. so i did what IXLR8 did and unbolted it and pushed it aside, really doesnt take long.
After doing one i can do it again in about an hour or so, if i have a helper to get the starter bolts out and put back in, from up top, while im under the car.

btw, the two on nuts on top of the bracket are 12mm and the two bolts on the bottom are 14mm.

Aloha...

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
I changed my starter by myself in like 40 degree weather last november....i just removed the intake tube....got down in there....removed the 2 14MM bolts that keep the satrter on the tranny bellhousing....removed the wire to the solenoid and pulled it out from the top...i kinda just wiggled the damn thing outta there....did it in about an hour from start to finish....no power tools....LOL should be really easy in the hawaii weather LOL

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Whatup Jeremy. Changing the starter is a real bitch IMO. It took me a while to get it out. I would recommend taking out that bracket and all the clips/wires attached to it. You will also need to take the 12mm or 14mm screws i believe on the right side of ur motor holding the starter in. Just be patient with this swap and be prepared to get cut up by the metal

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
And yes, put back the bracket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts