SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, what are the cheapest or free-est mods for an NX2000? Any reccomendations for my broke ass?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
You've come to the right place

First thing to do: go get yourself some bailing/chicken wire. Remove the bottom of your airbox. Rotate the top 180 degrees so the air filter points upward. Wire the filter to the box. Whalla. Instead intake! I had that mod on my car for months and you will LOVE the sound. Brings you several ponies for free too.

Also bump your timing to 17 degrees for 87 octane or 19 degrees with 92. Good for a few ponies as well.

Check your Throttle Position sensor voltage. Should be at .55V with the throttle closed. Our cars are usually set lower than that from the factory. Checked my 3 year old car's TPS voltage today and it was .3something. Fixed that right up.

For a "feel" of better throttle response, make your throttle cable just tight enough not to move the throttle arm(?) off of it's stop.

That's all there is I think. Anyone else?

Ben Davis
98 Sentra SE Turbo
King of the Ghetto mods

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
ben remember he has a b13 it has the AIV stuff on the air box. you cant just rotate the top over. the aiv connects to the top of the box. if you want to do the ghetto box you will either have to leave it facing down or go get you a cheap breather filter(2 bucks) to take off the aiv hose. i will look for the part numbers again i have them somewhere. its a simple breather filter for like a v8 from auto zone. its in the archives but i think they are in my outbox somewhere.

yea tighten the cable up it helps a ton on feeling. timing is soooooooo crutial. helped my car like night and day. TPS i dont know about
hard to check mine. Clean your TB really good, do a good tune up, run some stp motor flush though, clean the EGR system pretty good just freshen up the car about every 3 months with an oil change it helps

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
part numbers are

from the list:
FWIW, the part number for the filter I used on my AIV valve when using a
CAI was Deutsch BF402 Breather Filter from AutoZone. Price was $2.99.
I had to ream the I.D. out slightly to slip on to the hose barb on the
AIV. This is about a 2" diameter filter and seems to flow a sufficient
amount of air. Also, it looks completely stock.

K&N part number 62-1360

more list stuff:

Or you can go to Autozone and buy a small Fram crankcase filter with
replaceable element for less than $5. I bought Fram filter # BA7345. This
filter is for the AIV resonator and I didn't think it was critical to have a
K&N filter in that area. I zip-tied the hose under the intake elbow and
sort of use it for support. HTH

think that should get you going for cheap mods

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
i originaly used the Deutsch filter. its sorta a pain to get it to fit tho. you gota pull out your knife or something and ream that inside out a bit. i took a knife, then a rat tail file, then a piece of emory cloth(like sand paper but tougher) to open it up. then just slid it on, it was pretty tight as it was. you probaly could use a short piece of tubeing to act as a coupler but i didnt want to cut my stock piece( incase i needed to take it back to stock) and didnt have any tubing handy.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
The B15 airboxes would look like that, but the B14 and B13 I think would not stick up like that. They sit there very well between the strut tower and the battery. Wish I had a pic of mine.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
First thing to do: go get yourself some bailing/chicken wire. Remove the bottom of your airbox. Rotate the top 180 degrees so the air filter points upward. Wire the filter to the box. Whalla. Instead intake!
I would use a Zip Tie instead of bailing wire. BTW,this "GHETTO" mod makes as much HP(As proven at a SoCalSERCA Dyno Day earlier this year!) as a POP Charger for a lot less $$$$!
Here's a pic of what Ben was talking about:

go get you a cheap breather filter(2 bucks) to take off the aiv hose. <snip> its a simple breather filter for like a v8 from auto zone.
This is what they're talking about.

If you look carfully,you'll notice a small round K&N filter just in front of the Distributor cap. It's attached to the AIV(Air Injection Valve) by a small rubber hose and worm gear clamps. The whole set up shouldn't cost no more than $5.00 or so.

Also bump your timing to 17 degrees for 87 octane or 19 degrees with 92. Good for a few ponies as well.
And here's a link that will show how to do that.
www.se-r.net/engine/about_timing.html#How%20is%20it%20done?

For a "feel" of better throttle response, make your throttle cable just tight enough not to move the throttle arm(?) off of it's stop.
Here's a link that will explain just how to do it.
www.geocities.com/n_dahi/
Just click onto the Throttle Cable Link.

Clean your TB really good,
And the link for that:
www.sr20de.net/engine/clean_throttle_body.html

freshen up the car about every 3 months with an oil change it helps
www.sr20de.net/engine/change_oil.html

There,that should do it.

Thomas Fox
93 NX2000
With WAY too much time on my hands.

[Edited by Subculture (11-17-2000 at 12:40 PM).]

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
I eliminated my aiv altogether. If I can I'll go out and blow the dust off the car and take some pics of my routing. It's kinda hard to explain but really easy to do.
Blair

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx. The pics helped alot. I wonder if they have a book out there called Ghetto Mods for Dummies? How noisy does this mod make the car?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
How loud does it make it? Under WOT acceleration, quite pleasantly loud
You will be thanking me months down the road of how wonderful the ghetto intake made your car sound. I had a smile from ear to ear from the day I learned to do it and took it out for it's first spin to months later
It actually sounds quite a bit better than a pop charger.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Hey! is that big picture a new GXE with a 1.8? I wonder if my wife will let me do that when we get her car back.

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
hey Mike, is the 1.8 an auto? Been wondering about the new QG18DE. Would it beat a Civic EX? How about the 2400rpm torque peak of that thing, what's that like? You like the motor overall for what it is? Better than the GA16DE?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I like the SR better

Her car is a 5 speed and it goes ok. I don't know what it would do against an ex(never drove one). It rides nice and feels strong down low but it seems to peter out around 5k. Some mods would probably do it justice. All around its a good motor but I haven't driven it in a few weeks so The feeling of it is lost.

Mike

[Edited by Mike Gosselin (11-20-2000 at 04:33 PM).]

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
if you wanted to get real ghetto, you could get a glasspack and weld it right onto the cat and just take out the rest of the exhaust and cut a hole in the hood for the open airbox trick to really work

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
and even though this may not be the easiest thing in the world to do, you can port match intake and exhaust manifolds too. just be sure not to take off too much, or else you can screw up alot. serious about these mods though. free if you have a dremel and a few extra gaskets laying around (and some major freetime)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts