SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the little fitting that comes out of the top of your radiator last year and JB Welded it (with a ton of patience) and as I was working on my car I hit it and it broke off.

I would like to NOT get another radiator and that is why I am asking for some ghetto rig advice. I have thought of drilling and tapping the hole and putting a fitting in there but the rad cap is too close. Ideas?????

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
I would just fork over the 110$ for a new rad, but since thats out of the question...

You may be able to get one of those screw clamps with a hole in it, and put a new bung through the hole and seal it with something. If you dont know what I am talking about, look at the autometer ET gauges that DON"T need the sensor welded and you will get a general idea...Josh

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
I'd buy a brass fitting with tapered pipe threads on one end and a barbed nipple on the other. Then drill the hole out and thread the fitting in, and seal the seam with some more JB weld and hook your hose up to the barbed end and hose clamp it on. Cost you a couple bucks, take an hour tops and there won't be anything ghetto about it. If you really want to get fancy you could use a torch and some solder to sweat the thing in instead of using JB weld.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
just make sure to put a rag or something in there so metal shavings don't go down the neck of the radiator. But that sounds like a good idea to me Toolapcfan.

Brent

·
355 Posts
if you are worried about the opening being too close to the radiator cap, you could close that one off and tap a hole somewhere else.
then use a fitting to run a line from another location. I would suggest looking in a junkyard for an cheap radiator though. i'll keep my eyes open incase i see one around here.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toolapcfan said:
I'd buy a brass fitting with tapered pipe threads on one end and a barbed nipple on the other. Then drill the hole out and thread the fitting in, and seal the seam with some more JB weld and hook your hose up to the barbed end and hose clamp it on. Cost you a couple bucks, take an hour tops and there won't be anything ghetto about it. If you really want to get fancy you could use a torch and some solder to sweat the thing in instead of using JB weld.
WEll there is only about 1/8 inch to tap, is that enough? The fitting can't go deep because when the rad cap is closed I can see it though the hole. Still think that will work?

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
R0b_ said:
isn't JB weld the wrong thing to use for that?

I bought some plastic epoxy for one project that is designed to "melt" the plastic together.

Might be able to use that, worth a shot.
This is exactly what I did on mine. Same piece broke on a perfectly good rad. Two part epoxy fixed it up tight. Works great.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What would you guys say about this radiator? It was my friends and he replaced it with a new one. I would imagine I could cut the cracked outlet to make it even and then put the hose over it with a T clamp. I just spent over $3000 going turbo last year and now I have spent almost $2000 on my new drivetrain so I am being a cheap-ass. TIA

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a barely used radiator the I could sell you. It is a 1.6L radiator but i used it on my SE-R for a couple months (installed it the beginning of September, and put it awawy for the winter, then installed a KOYO like one month after taking the car out the next spring). If your interested send me a PM. ~josh

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
SR20RACER said:
What would you guys say about this radiator? It was my friends and he replaced it with a new one. I would imagine I could cut the cracked outlet to make it even and then put the hose over it with a T clamp. I just spent over $3000 going turbo last year and now I have spent almost $2000 on my new drivetrain so I am being a cheap-ass. TIA

That looks like it would work just fine man. I say use that. Or, if you cover shipping and $10 i could send you my old SE-R radiator or an NX2000 radiator. One stem that goes into a mount on the NX radiator is broken off on the top, but it stays in just fine.

Brent

·
Big Cheddar fan club
1,466 Posts
I just had this happen to me. I used a 2 part made special for plastic. I had tried just about everything else and it didn't work. I know of something else that should work too if you can find it. The stuff is called plasiweld, it is for industrial use on electroplating barells and aquarims. It is chemical resistant and heat resistant and sets up in like 30sec.

Erick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts