SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, gang--
Over the last 2-3 weeks, I've been busy buying and installing parts on my '93 240sx convertible. All in preparation for re-turbocharging it in the next month. The most recent additions are a Xenon front lip, Mishimoto radiator with twin fans, and a DiF dual fan controller.
Pics, reviews as follows:

Which box has a front lip, and which has a fan controller? The Xenon box is gigantic, just be warned if you order this part.

The Xenon front lip (part #5351, IIRC) ready to go on the car. The install is time-consuming due to having to pre-position the lip exactly how you want it on your car. The tools that made this much easier are pictured next...

The job is MUCH easier with some clamps. You'll need about 5 or six of these to do it right. Luckily, I have a brother-in-law who designs tools for Irwin, so I'm flush with clamps, at the moment.

Installed, finally. Monty wanted to see this lip on a white S13 like his, and here it is. I really like it, as its not boy-racer-body-kit overbearing, and is a nice, tasteful addition to the car without taking away from its inherent nice lines.

Front shot. I will have to trim the area in the large opening, in order to re-install my FMIC here shortly. It should take about 5 minutes with a Dremel.

Eye-level angle. I briefly considered having the Xenon lip painted white to match the car, but decided that leaving it in its matte-black unfinished state looked just fine by me. Regardless...it really works with the car, IMHO.

I bought mine from Performance Center Online for $232. Here's the link: http://www.performancecenter.com/product/Body+Kits+&+Styling/Air+Dams+~+Bumper+Covers+~+Sport+Valances/0/0/0/NISSAN/1993/240SX?brandname=XENON

Next up was a Mishimoto radiator and twin electric fans. I also added a DiF dual fan controller:

Mishimoto radiator and dual electric fans. Much thicker than the stock S13 radiator, and the fitment was excellent. Literally a drop-in. The dual electric fans replace the stock clutch fan. About $320 for the entire setup.

DiF dual fan controller. Outstanding piece, I must say. It is adjustable via the adjustment screws on the top. I can program each fan to come on at different temps, in a staged setup. Install was cake and it worked right out of the box. I have since adjusted when the fans kick on as the weather changes in the fall. I'm considering adding another DiF controller to my B13 as the adjustability factor is worth the $120 asking price.

Wait, what's this sitting in the corner of the garage?

Ah yes, my trusty old-school T3 turbo. I just had it rebuilt by Limit Engineering in Arizona, and it is brand-freaking new. I decided to stay with it since I already have a downpipe made for it.
The manifold is new, and from Treadstone Performance for $320. Cast iron, heavy as a rock, probably won't crack. Ever.

And that's where we stand today. I hope to have this car re-turbocharged by mid-October at the latest, in time to make some dragstrip runs before the track closes down for winter in November.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Monty wanted to see this lip on a white S13 like his, and here it is. I really like it, as its not boy-racer-body-kit overbearing, and is a nice, tasteful addition to the car without taking away from its inherent nice lines.
I did, very much indeed... Thanks for taking detailed shots of this. I do like this lip on the S13, doesn't look out of place and gives the front of the car something it seems to be missing... as others have asked me in the past.

Front shot. I will have to trim the area in the large opening, in order to re-install my FMIC here shortly. It should take about 5 minutes with a Dremel.
It's been a while since I've seen this lip... I forgot that it went up inside of the airdam like that. If I decide on this one, I'd really have to hack up the opening to fit it.

here is what mine looks like.. well, more like this is what mine looked like when I was test fitting the bumper, the lower lip is pulled down some to fit under the IC, so I know that I'd have to cut out most of the lip to make it fit...

The cars looking good as always, GP. Leaving it in the black was a good idea, I like it...

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
Pretty sweet Greg. I've been curious about the DIF controller, for a while; my Pivot unit works great, and displays the temp, but the DIF has a much wider range of adjustability.

I like the lip too. It makes me wonder if it'd fit on a Silvia bumper at all; the stock S13 lip does, from what I've seen, so it might work.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My stock front bumper is even more hacked up (previous owner) that yours is, Monty. Yours will need to be trimmed along that bottom edge where it meets the intercooler. Mine is about 2" wide at that point. The Xenon lip covers all that up.

When FMIC re-install time comes, I'll just have to trace a line across that area on the Xenon lip and cut off that section with the Dremel. It should literally take 5 minutes, tops.

The thing I like about that lip is that it directs air straight up into the large opening on the bumper, something we all need with a radiator, an AC condensor, and a FMIC in that small space.

Kent, the DiF controller is fan-freaking tastic. Highly recommended. As for the Silvia bumper fitment...you've got me. If other S13 240sx lips fit a Silvia bumper, then maybe this one will fit, too. At $232, it's a slightly risky move. However...you can sell the Xenon front lip (if it didn't fit your Silvia) verrrrrry easily. It's a hot item these days in the S13 world. Only Performance Center seems to be able to still order them from Xenon.

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
Well, this thread is more than two years old. Greg doesn't have his 240SX any more, nor is he on this board much these days.

I'd say do a search for the Xenon lip (google, whatever) and try your luck. I'm not sure it's even in production any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts