SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after turbocharging 4 or 5 SR20's in the area, I've finally decided to turbocharge our Red 97 B14. My main motivation is that the previous JDM engine threw a freaking rod for no reason last week, after running nice and strong for 2+ years. So I am going to have to put in a new JDM motor and might as well put a turbo on it while we're in there :D I'm hoping to have it ready for convention time. So Jay can ask me why his old car is making 100 less hp.

I'm going with a "quasi" common setup. We're not going for super duper tranny breaking power. Just a nice comfy 300ish wheel hp for pleasant commuting :)

I just need some opinions if you all think I am expecting too much from the setup.

Here is what my bro and I are going to run.

JDM motor stock compression.
Nismo 555cc injectors (stock rail)
S15 SpecR turbo (BB T04B compressor/T28ish exhaust housing ala potato)
Fmax FMIC
Custom IC piping
GTiR or JGY Exh Manifold
3 inch exhaust
Cobra MAF

all this plus stuff that was already on the car: C1 cams/springs, Pulley's, flywheel etc.

I am getting the turbine and J pipe extrude honed. Plus all the usual Swain or HP coatings for the turbo/manifold/Jpipe.

I am not sure wether to go with the JGY manifold or not, the pictures on their website aren't too helpful as far as comparing design goes.. Has anyone ran this manifold before?

I'll post pics of what I have so far after I get home.

Thanks,

Luis

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean the one that costs as much as a GT30R :D
It will do it.. you'll see :)

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
is it a 9.5 cr motor goin in? if so, i'd expect maybe 260ish on 91 pump. with race gas, it'll get close too 300. how much can those injectors handle?

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
spdracerUT said:
is it a 9.5 cr motor goin in? if so, i'd expect maybe 260ish on 91 pump. with race gas, it'll get close too 300. how much can those injectors handle?
upwards of 350whp

and the jdm des are 9.5:1

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
its more or less the same setup im hoping to hit 300whp with ;)

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
make sure to have a divider between the turbine outlet and the wastegate port welded on there while you have it out. should be relatively easy to do, just gotta preheat the cast housing until red hot and then weld it. let cool in sand or something similiar, do not air or water cool.

should be worth a couple of ponies.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would also like to hear more about JGY's GTi-R type manifold. I've heard nothing about it at all.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah and no clear picture so you dont know what the heck it looks like flow wise..
Thanks for the tip Steve.. the turbo actually has a divider cast into it stock :)

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Yay, Luis! :)

Sounds like an interesting and somewhat unique setup, that's for sure. Keep us in the loop with the buildup.

·
Registered
593 Posts
yes please keep us in the loop, and best of luck, btw luis what u doing as far as tranny strengthening?

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I will try to keep everyone as updated as possible. It's kinda sad to say but putting it all together will be the easiest part. The extrude hone and coatings should add a 4 week wait. Which is alright since I'm still waiting on my ecu from JWT :cool:

Here are some crappy camera phone pics. I will post better ones when I dig out the real camera.

Nice TO4B compressor.

Exhaust side with wastegate/turbine flow separator.

Overall View

Nismo 555cc injectors

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah basically.. I'm gonna run a 6puck and shift gently. Nobody up here has dealt with broken trannies yet.. Well asides from wheel hop.. but welding or JB weld can fix that..

·
Registered
593 Posts
ehh im on number 4 :) first one had bad motor mounts and no welded case, #2,3 were both destroyed from third gear goin away, thats the reason i ask.

·
TT Tuning
1,977 Posts
Luis said:
Yeah basically.. I'm gonna run a 6puck and shift gently. Nobody up here has dealt with broken trannies yet.. Well asides from wheel hop.. but welding or JB weld can fix that..
ummm the jb weld trick did'nt work for me :( then again i dont baby the trany.i've been thew 10 tranys :rolleyes: i run the act 6 puck with extream pp. go with a street disk with a extream pp and i think the trany will last longer. :cool:

Tim

1 - 20 of 43 Posts