SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just put my gt28rs on a hass top mount manifold and down pipe. before the install my car did not smoke, or anything. well i got it cranked today and grey smoke filled my back yard. i drove it and it never got hot. i drove it around and it smokes at idle and when you rev it. but i checked my reservoir and it didnt use coolant.

well i am going to drain the oil tomorrow to see if there is colant in it, but i was wondering if you switch the coolant drain, and feed lines will it cause this? the only thing i could think of was blown head gasket, or that. i set my boost controller wrong and it got to about 18psi, but i didnt think that was enough to blow a headgasket.

does anyone know what it could be?

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
do you have an oil restrictor on the turbo?

You said grey smoke, was it "burning oil" looking smoke or coolant smoke. Uusally coolant has that sweet smell to it and is thick white smoke.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have the jgy oil line with resrictor, i am also using the stock banjobolt and it has a very small hole in it.

i meant to say white smoke, my bad. its not blueish like oil.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just drained my oil and there is no coolant in it.

are there coolant lines to the intake manifold? my turbo only has about 700 miles on it. how do you check for blown seals on the turbo?

·
Registered
420 Posts
just side to side play because a friend of mine just blew a 2871r and believe it or notit did not have in or out play but side to side it move about 7 to 9mm unbelieveable......i know

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
FYI we had a GT28RS come through the shop that puked oil brand new, we got it warrantied and the new ones fine. Word is they (garrett), have had some problems recently with this.

Travis E.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
did the turbo have to be primed b4 start up? did u "prelube" it?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the turbo was primed. yesterday the smoked looked more blueish. so i took my intake off and there was some oil in my intake , but it didnt come from the valve cover because i pulled that hose and it was dry. i kinda looked like it came from the turbo.

i switched the turbo oil drain, and the catch can oil drain on the block. will that make a differance?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts