SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up for a Automotive focus group this weekend and one of the cars that was evaluated was the new SE-R Spec V. There were 5 silver cars there besides the Sentra.
VW GTI 1.8T
Subaru WRX
Mazda Protege MP3 Wagon
Acura RSX Type S
A Renault Clio Sport V6

This event was obviously put on by Nissan/Renault because of the questions we had at the end of the session. Like.....
The WRX 24k
The RSX 23k
The SE-R 17k

And Nissan tested the new Spec V against the current Type R and the SE-R beat it on almost every test.

When asked to rank the cars I picked the SE-R second after the Clio. That Clio was just amazing I'm wondering if they are thinking of bringing it to the US and selling them at the Nissan Dealers.

The SE-R was very nice though if you like the B15 body style and a 4 door. Being a Classic owner I would have prefered a 2 door coupe but I must admit that for 17k I might get one as a daily driver and just use my Classic for Autocrossing. I would post a picture but they took my camera away until I left. The Black Seats with the Red insert did not look as Ricey as I thought it would and my overall impression was highly favorable.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Did you get a chance behind the wheel of these cars? Even if not, getting to prod and ogle a real-life Clio Sport V6 sounds like fun.

Oh, and that question - could you elaborate? Do you think it suggests the SE-Rs are going to start out around $17k?

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JimR:
Did you get a chance behind the wheel of these cars? Even if not, getting to prod and ogle a real-life Clio Sport V6 sounds like fun.

</font>
I drove one once. On Gran Turismo that is.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Art did you go to the EOS, I left at around 12:30-1, did you get to see the R34 I left to early and missed it.

Alfie

------------------
92'XE/w-Primera swap
sleepr w/N20

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JimR:

Oh, and that question - could you elaborate? Do you think it suggests the SE-Rs are going to start out around $17k?

</font>
No they wouldn't let us drive them. Since they asked for autocross people for the eval I thought that we might get to try them on a small course but alas no they didn't.

The 17k is supposed to be the MSRP for the Spec V SE-R. This is a very good price if true. Anyone going to buy a new car may want to hold out until Nov when they hit the showroom floor.

Al, No I didn't make the EOS BBQ. My brothers Jensen Healy broke down so he couldn't go to an autocross practice and said I could have his spot so I was out dodging cones.
I heard there were 3 Skylines there, I'm bummed that I didn't get to see them.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trys_Hard:
I signed up for a Automotive focus group this weekend... </font>
Art,

You're a lucky bastard.
How were you able to sign up for this group? Did they have an autox type course setup or was did you only test on the street? Thanks,

Steve

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
A thought:
If Nissan is so interested in enthusiasts (bringing Clio Sports over to show to focus groups), I'm a little sore about why they're waiting until now to do anything about it. They saw their unsporting image catching up to them in the late '90s, yet they did nothing about it.

The S15 Silvia was already a production car, and they missed out on the early years sport compact craze by not selling it here - it would have been stellar. No hiding behind crash testing, emissions, or marketing - that's all bunk.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The 17k is supposed to be the MSRP for the Spec V SE-R. This is a very good price if true.</font>
The Spec-V? Wow. If that's true (almost too good to be true), that's a kick in the pants for the segment.

For that price, I could stand to warm up to that gaudy interior and that ugly front bumper. And that's just MSRP. A while down the road, that would mean we would be seeing people getting them out the door in the $16k's.

If anyone is willing to trade their old SE-R (blasphemy!), that would leave a very reasonable sum to finance. I'm watching with interest.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by autoxer7:
Art,

You're a lucky bastard.
How were you able to sign up for this group? Did they have an autox type course setup or was did you only test on the street? Thanks,

Steve

</font>
This focus group was mainly used to get our feedback on what type of car an autox drivers would like. Of the eight people interviewed at the end (3 domestic car drivers did not participate) 6 of us were drooling over the Clio. The guy who just bought an RSX picked it and another guy who always owned VW picked the GTI (which was last on most others list). We just got to look at them, we did not get to drive or sit in them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
how the hell are u supposed to evaluate a car (especially autocrossing ability/performance) without even driving the freaking thing!?!?!

But, damn! 17K MSRP for an SE-R VSpec? where do i sign?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts