SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was driving home and my lights all of a sudden got real bright... gauge lights, headlights... etc... I looked at my volt gauge and it was at 18v! The wierd thing was that it was inconsistant. It would be at 18v then down to 12v while the car was on. What ever was going on killed my battery. It wouldn't start this morning... dead. I bought a new one the car starts and runs fine but it's charging at 18v. I didn't let it run I just turned it on, saw 18v, and shut it down immediately... I don't want to ruin another battery. So could this be a bad alternator? Do we have regulators in the car or is it built in to the aternator?

Thanks guys,
Mike

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
I believe the regulator is built in to the alternator. IF you want to cruise down to my house, I have a spare alternator you can try.

I'll be home tonight and all day tomorrow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cnynracer1 said:
I believe the regulator is built in to the alternator. IF you want to cruise down to my house, I have a spare alternator you can try.

I'll be home tonight and all day tomorrow.
Thanks Frank... I'm going to pull it tonight and go get it tested. I might take you up on that or I might just go ahead and get a new one with a warranty... we'll see. Thanks

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts