SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys can anyone please help me. I"m trying to hook up my oil pressure gauge and I'm trying to find out where the oil pressure sensor is. I looked in my repair manual (Haynes) and it doesnt' say anywhere. The only one that I've seen that resembles it is to the left of the oil filter, looks like its on hte intake manifold. Or is it on the back of the block that I can't see from above, or does it have any? thanks for the help

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok now I have a new problem, how do I get it off?? I tried numerous sized wrenches, sockets, vise grips and a monkey wrench. I hope i'm trying to take off the right thing. What size is that sensor? I don't want to apply heat yet cuase I don't want to melt the existing harness. How did you get this thing off???

·
_______
3,640 Posts
It should spin rite off. The harness has a rubber protector over it and its filled with white grease. Make sure you taking the rite on off. Mine came off fairly easy :-/

Mike

·
Registered
858 Posts
this fitting is made of soft brass metal. be careful ,very easy to crossthread.don't overtighten

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right there was a black boot that came off that also had the connector on it for the sensor. After that was pulled off there is a whitish placic piece, I'm assuming where the harness connects to then there is something metal, which doesnt' have any kind of bolt pattern on it for a wrench. Do I unscrew the whitish plastic piece or do I have to take out the metal piece with an undistiguished bolt pattern on??

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You need to unscrew the metal piece. It has ribs on it rite? You should be able to unscrew it by hand or with a set of vice grips lightly clamped on it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it has ribs on it. How comes everything came off easy for you, I'm jealous hehe. Lightly huh, so I guess if i'm putting too much pressure on that piece it wont come off right? Maybe I'll put some WD-40 on it and let it soak. Thanks again.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Lightly so it won't crush the plastic on the inside. What kind of sender are you putting in? Is it mechanical or eletric?

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its an electric sensor I beleive. I give up on trying to take out that oil sensor, I'll just take it to a local nissan dealer and have them replace it for me. Nothing seems to come easy on my car. I had to use a torch just to losen up the 1 bolt for my power steering pump so I could put on my pullies. Oh well,.. thanks for your help I appreciate it

Brent

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a little off topic, but is using a blow torch a good way to get a bolt out that is stuck? I've been trying to change my transmission oil for a while, but I cannot get that damn bolt out. Should I heat it up with a torch? I'd hate to have to bring my car to a mechanic, since I've managed to do everything myself so far.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used torches once and I'm sure I'll use it again since it seems that most of the projects that I take on can have problems. If there isn't any plastic or rubber hoses or anything else that can melt or be damaged due to heating then I don't see why not. don't have to hold it on there long, maybe a minute. Have you tried an impact gun or using a ratchet with a hollow tube on the handle to help break it free? Just becarful not to break anything.

Brent

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Its rite behind the oil filter. You need to get under the car to hook it up. When your under it it will be rite to the left of the the filter. Its on the same chunk of metal as the filter.

Mike

·
Registered
466 Posts
The oil pressure sender will come off with a 1 1/16 wrench. I had to loosen the braket tha attaches to the intake manifold and also blocks the starter to get a beter angle on it.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help. My brother was sucessful in getting it off. He used a 27mm socket to get it off (not sure how he did it cuase I was re-assembling some of my interior. both gauges work well, the a/f ratio gauge really reflects that I need a tune up, at warm idle she will mainly stay in the 'lean' area. Its an Auto Meter gauge. As for the Greddy oil, awesome. I love it. Sensitive but yet accurate. :)

Brent

·
Registered
858 Posts
usually lean on idle is good for emissions but if it leans out at wot' let go of the gas cause its bad for the engine. as long as when you floor it and it goes late yellow or early green you're OK!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, greddy makes good gauges........ the best imho

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, greddy makes good gauges........ the best imho

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

1 - 18 of 18 Posts