SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last week, I've been noticing a small crunch when I put my car into reverse. A few times, the noise has been more like loud grinding...now I've been driving a manual for quite sometime, and I'm sure that my clutch was depressed all the way...with no car mat getting in the way.

Once it was grinding when I was putting it into reverses, and when I tried to put it back into neutral, the shifter wouldn't budge...I had to kill the engine, move into neutral and then re-start.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
My car does this also. Before you put it in reverse, shift to first then to reverse. It almost never grinds this way.

------------------
Red 99 SE with: CAI, Stillen Front STB, Redline MT90, ES Motor Mounts (4-set), Timing changed to 15 degrees

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, mine's been doing it for years. It's not a problem. I just wiggle the shifter before I put it in reverse... if it's really stubborn, I shift to first and then reverse.

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that this is happening to. Hopefully adjusting the cable will help...I don't remember this happening as often when I had my 94XE.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i think that that happens with most car.... i rest at a complete stop for 2-3 seconds... or stick it into 1st before putitng it in reverse

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Adjust your clutch cable. Also just be careful putting it into gear. At first mine ground no matter what, then after I adjusted the clutch cable it worked a lot better. I still have to be careful putting it into gear though. A little patience and careful force is much much better than just slamming it into gear.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate it when you drop your car off for a service, and they can't re-create the problem!!!

My grinding problem continues...twice on the weekend I went to start my car, and when I went to push the clutch in (with normal pressure) it wouldn't budge. The first time this happened, I thought that I was tired and pressing the brake, so I looked down, and my foot was on the clutch. Then it happened the next day!

I dropped it of at the dealership, but they cant re-create the problem, and can't see anything that would of caused it. Any ideas??? (they said that the clutch cable was tight)

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
One other thing that comes to my mind is the transmission mount. You can try adjusting it to see if helps.

Oh, I just noticed you mentioning that you are having trouble pressing the clutch...the tranny mount would not really apply to that problem.

-saaby

[This message has been edited by Saaby (edited 06-25-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts