SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Somebody explain to me how the ground control coilovers work? I know se-r's have a problem with lowering and the ground controls seem to be the answer... i thought coilovers were a replacement for struts and the springs. Can somebody explain?

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Well, they won't solve the lowering problem, as it is travel that gets our cars. When you lower the car it takes away suspension travel...even with GC's you will still have this problem...the difference with GC's is a higher spring rate..most drop springs are to soft, allowing bottoming out of the strut..GC's handle this a little better due to that higher rate, but they don't solve the problem...you should check out Motivational.net for their shortened struts...these along with threaded coilovers are the answer due to increased travel...for info on how to mount them, there is a godd write up in this months edition of Sentra Online magazine (SOLM) http://www.sentra.net/solm/sept01cover.shtml

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,GReddy Catback, ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's,SMC short shifter,Royal Purple synthetics..AND A VANILLA AIR FRESHENER!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
You can also lower the car as little or as much as you want with coilovers.

GC coilovers lowered ~3/4" should have OK suspension travel on all but the worst roads.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm curious how you figure out how much of a drop you've got once the coilovers are on. What do you measure when the stock springs are still on for a baseline? I'll be installing my GCs in the next week and I was wondering this. I have 350f/300r springs btw, will a 3/4" drop work well for autox duty?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
I'm curious how you figure out how much of a drop you've got once the coilovers are on. What do you measure when the stock springs are still on for a baseline? I'll be installing my GCs in the next week and I was wondering this. I have 350f/300r springs btw, will a 3/4" drop work well for autox duty?</font>
Paul,

If you had an FSM, there is a procedure for measuring ride height. Not sure of the accuracy of this method, but get a measuring tape and measure the distance from the ground (or center of wheel) to the highest point of the fender well arch. As long as you have the same wheel/tire combo before and after installing the GC's, you'll at least have an approximate idea of how much your car has been lowered/raised. I'm not sure how low would be adequate for autox as it would depend on the surface (3Com park is like stock height or bust!) Just remember to have at least .75"-1" of travel before hitting bumpstops. Snipping your stock bumpstops, or using the Koni bumpstops might help with that.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R (GC's, uncut stock bumpstops... don't know why)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can attest to the ride quality of the Motivational Engineering shortned struts. I have them on my EX with the Eibach Sportline (1.9" drop) and the Koni poly-bumpstops. The ride is very smooth. Only on the Big bumps does it feel any different than stock. With the poly bump stops I never feel like I bottom out, and thats no joke. The only problem is you have to remove them to adjust the rebound stiffness. The SE-R I have just bought has the Tokico Blues on them. So I might be intrested in selling the shortned struts if anyone is intrested. I have had them on my car for about 6 months and less than 2,000 miles. You will not lose any suspension travel with these.

------------------
91 Sentra SE-R with mods.

·
Registered
184 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RedRacer:
I can attest to the ride quality of the Motivational Engineering shortned struts. I have them on my EX with the Eibach Sportline (1.9" drop) and the Koni poly-bumpstops. The ride is very smooth. Only on the Big bumps does it feel any different than stock. With the poly bump stops I never feel like I bottom out, and thats no joke. The only problem is you have to remove them to adjust the rebound stiffness. The SE-R I have just bought has the Tokico Blues on them. So I might be intrested in selling the shortned struts if anyone is intrested. I have had them on my car for about 6 months and less than 2,000 miles. You will not lose any suspension travel with these.

</font>
How much do you want? And why do you want to get rid of them?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, I would also be very interested in purchasing your shortented struts. Let me know how much you want and when you want to sell.

·
Registered
441 Posts
$$$ money I am willing to spend. I am also interested in purchasing the struts. How much did the Motivational shortened shocks cost you brand new?

------------------
Chris Alfonso
Few mods and a bottle of laughter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you people be intrested in just the struts, or the Sportline springs too? Oh and to answer the question. "Why am I thinking of selling them?" Need the money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The struts alone are $235.00 plus s/h
This does not include the top spring mounts or the rubber insulators. (you can use the stock ones...thats what I have done) It does include two camber bolts for the front. Also just for the info, the struts are silver. If someone were to offer me $800.00 for all four I would sell them. I know thats not a huge savings, but I really hate to sell them.

------------------

·
Registered
441 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RedRacer:
The struts alone are $235.00 plus s/h
This does not include the top spring mounts or the rubber insulators. (you can use the stock ones...thats what I have done) It does include two camber bolts for the front. Also just for the info, the struts are silver. If someone were to offer me $800.00 for all four I would sell them. I know thats not a huge savings, but I really hate to sell them.

</font>
800 <<is this including the springs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, sorry, the $800.00 us just for the struts. I think it took 3-4 weeks and this is including ups ground shipping time, which is approx. 4-5 days from Cali. to North Carolina. The owner's name is Mike. He is a real cool dude that doesn't mind answering questions. Best of luck.

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts