SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so.. after a long time of tryin to get the damn starter off, finally got it and i realize they sent me the wrong starter!

my original starter is the long one on the right... i dont know what car this other one is for?

at that point i called it quits and went in (started getting dark anyway)

is it possible to some how switch the end from the old one to the new and make it work? frustrating.

took a week for it to get here... so now maybe another week of walking around the lot at school asking people to help me push my car to get it started.. lol

im gonna call tomorrow to see if i can get the right one sent or something.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Don't despair. Yet.

Your original starter, on the right, is the Mitsubishi and the other is the Hitachi. They both should fit even though they look different.

Give it a try!

Bill Conner

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
billc said:
Don't despair. Yet.

Your original starter, on the right, is the Mitsubishi and the other is the Hitachi. They both should fit even though they look different.

Give it a try!

Bill Conner
exactly...the shape is the same if you look closer at it you will see that they will both fit in the hole. Throw the new one in and be amazed at how much more quiet it is when you start your car.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh really guys? yeah, i wanted to give it a try because the shape looked the same... but the lil gear head things had a different amount of of things on em and looked a lil different, like one had 8 and mind had 9 (i think) so i didnt think it'd work...
But i might as well try it huh?

Oh by the way i just looked at them and they both said Mitsubishi on them, the new one didnt say Hitachi. :confused:

thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was swapping trannies between my dads SE-L and my 200sx and noticed his starter looked like the one on the right on your picture and my starter looked like the one on the left. Both work fine.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SE-R-2-Go said:
I was swapping trannies between my dads SE-L and my 200sx and noticed his starter looked like the one on the right on your picture and my starter looked like the one on the left. Both work fine.
alright, well GOOD to know. I'm going to give it a try today. :)

thanks for the replies guys.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
You wont run into any issues. I did this only a month ago and had ZERO fitment issues.

·
SE-R Mana
759 Posts
This is good info. I need to change the starter on one of my SE-Rs and have been holding back due to a few reasons: difficulty at accessing the starter location; still trying to find the receipt of a Bosche starter that my brother put in (supposed lifetime warranty); lack of free time.

·
Registered
746 Posts
as long as the bolt patteren is the same, and the connectors are the same, you should have not problem installing it. i've changed my fair share of starters. they've had shrouds, without shrouds and once i got a starter with a noticably smaller motor assembly, must have been from a newer sr20, i dont know, but i've killed it already. it seems that starters hate me. i've killed so many and i hate changing them out.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Ae you having someone help you install this?

If not, it gets a lil tricky but it can be done alone.

FUN FUN.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i had someone help me out. I got the new one in today and was about to finish puttin everything back together so i could try and start her up... but it started to rain a lil so we went inside. :( hopefully i'll check it out later on today

·
Big Juice & Big Boost
832 Posts
DOn't worry the one on the left is gonna work on your car. The only different is the left one is for automatic and right is manual. I just install the same starter u got on the left. You just have to extend a wire on it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ThomasSr20 said:
DOn't worry the one on the left is gonna work on your car. The only different is the left one is for automatic and right is manual. I just install the same starter u got on the left. You just have to extend a wire on it.
yeah, i extended the wire on it like a foot almost and it worked out fine. :)

and thanks, i was wondering why they were different.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
REDLINEse-r said:
as long as the bolt patteren is the same, and the connectors are the same, you should have not problem installing it. i've changed my fair share of starters. they've had shrouds, without shrouds and once i got a starter with a noticably smaller motor assembly, must have been from a newer sr20, i dont know, but i've killed it already. it seems that starters hate me. i've killed so many and i hate changing them out.
I thought my car liked to eat starters too. Turned out it was just an intermittent ground problem. The factory ground sucks. I now have a wire running from the starter bolt to the chassis.

·
Registered
746 Posts
myprojectB13 said:
I thought my car liked to eat starters too. Turned out it was just an intermittent ground problem. The factory ground sucks. I now have a wire running from the starter bolt to the chassis.
interesting, i might have to try that too...

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
well if mine poopes out again ill replace the wire...im not diving under that car unless i have to. Its allready enough of a PITA to get to as is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts