SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So from what I understand, the GT series turbos will bolt on to the factory T25 manifold, but will a GT3037 clear the steering colum? If so, I'm down...order it up.

Thanks in advance.

·
RWD Junkie
119 Posts
According to Al, all of the GT series turbo's are supposed to bolt up to the stock manifold.

However, if you plan to run an external wastegate, there is something you can do with an extra spacer or mount. He tried to explain it to me and my head still hurts. :D

:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Only the GT25's and GT28's bolt up to the standard manifold, the GT30's have a T3 style flange. Anything GT30 and up requires an external manifold while the GT25's and 28's can be built either with an internal wastegate, the external wastegate welded up (dodgy solution IMO) or with a proper exhaust housing for an external manifold.

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMOA said:
Only the GT25's and GT28's bolt up to the standard manifold, the GT30's have a T3 style flange. Anything GT30 and up requires an external manifold while the GT25's and 28's can be built either with an internal wastegate, the external wastegate welded up (dodgy solution IMO) or with a proper exhaust housing for an external manifold.
Actually the 3037 will bolt up as well I believe. In the research that I have done everyone has said that it uses the same style flange. They have a separate line of T300/E/S turbo's with the T3 flange style. :D I have also heard from 1 person that he has a 3037 with internal wastegate. Still checking on that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*sigh* so basically no one knows for sure...

I'll have to hit up Rob Cadle at Garrett and see what he has to say.

Thanks for the input guys...everything helps. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well looking through the HKS goods master there is not a 3037 for sale with an internal wastegate. It doesn't have measurements for the exhaust flange on the 3037 so I can't confirm the size but in the end thats somewhat moot as you're going to need an external wastegate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well actually it's not really moot as you can just have the stock manifold modified for the wastegate(I don't recommend this). :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wuz up Jay. Greaser here.

The GT25xx series will bolt up with no problems, the stock SR o2 housing will bolt onto the turbo and it will fit. Mods only required to the oil and water lines. Simple for you i'm sure.

I used to utilize a HKS GT2510 on stock manifold made [email protected]

I now use a GT3037s with custom log manifold to the tune of [email protected]

The GT3037's compressor housing is 8.5" in diameter. I'm positive it wont fit under the stock manifold without hitting the block or something else. You'd never get an intake pipe on there either. I had a tough time making one for the GT2510 which is much smaller.

I think the GT2835 will fit on the stock one without clearance issues.

HKS GT25xx and GT30xx turbos use T25 flanges. so the GT3037 DOES use a t25 flange....i have one. There are options for T3 flanges with each turbo as well.

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
damn

IMOA said:
Well looking through the HKS goods master there is not a 3037 for sale with an internal wastegate. It doesn't have measurements for the exhaust flange on the 3037 so I can't confirm the size but in the end thats somewhat moot as you're going to need an external wastegate.

Just the name GT sounds expensive. Kinda like those Green turbos.

next to a 20g (the small one is the 20g)

http://www.forcedperformance.com/

The guy who has this Turbo on his DSM hit 400hp on pump gas. 93 octain a couple of times with a PMS, now he hits 409hp with a stand alone on pump [email protected]psi

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Yellow.......

I saw the forced performance link in your post. They are the ones that did my turbo. :D Do you know any of the guy's there? They are local here and I have met a few of them. Very cool and very knowledgable. Is the DSm your talking about a black awd? Loren's? That thing is F'ing fast. Oh well I guess I got off topic. Sorry everyone.:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greaser said:
Wuz up Jay. Greaser here.

The GT25xx series will bolt up with no problems, the stock SR o2 housing will bolt onto the turbo and it will fit. Mods only required to the oil and water lines. Simple for you i'm sure.

I used to utilize a HKS GT2510 on stock manifold made [email protected]

I now use a GT3037s with custom log manifold to the tune of [email protected]

The GT3037's compressor housing is 8.5" in diameter. I'm positive it wont fit under the stock manifold without hitting the block or something else. You'd never get an intake pipe on there either. I had a tough time making one for the GT2510 which is much smaller.

I think the GT2835 will fit on the stock one without clearance issues.

HKS GT25xx and GT30xx turbos use T25 flanges. so the GT3037 DOES use a t25 flange....i have one. There are options for T3 flanges with each turbo as well.
Bam! There it is! Thank you. I know understand where the confusion came from. You can get both housings on the GT series. Cool. Ignore my post in the other thread asking this same question. :)

I have to line things up and take measurements, and obviously this is PURE speculation at this point, but my thought was this:

The stock flange is about .5" thick on the manifold and .5" turbo. On just the manifold alone, you can machine about a 45* angle into the flange by taking about 1/4" away. (Just cut the whole thing at and angle) By modifying both you can do almost a 90* angle.

I have to see what is in the way for clearance issues and flange bollt alignment but hey you never know. Maybe step up to the GT3037 right away if I can fanagle the thing on there. :D

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Re: Hey Yellow.......

TX180SX said:
I saw the forced performance link in your post. They are the ones that did my turbo. :D Do you know any of the guy's there? They are local here and I have met a few of them. Very cool and very knowledgable. Is the DSm your talking about a black awd? Loren's? That thing is F'ing fast. Oh well I guess I got off topic. Sorry everyone.:D

Naw his name is Andrea he lives in NY or some place like that. Nope don't know any of the people at that store I haven't order anything from them....yet

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I know this is the RWD forum, but any ideas which of these three GT turbos will fit (i.e. clear block and all other hard objects) with a Bluebird manifold? A GTi-R manifold?

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Ben98SentraSE said:
I know this is the RWD forum, but any ideas which of these three GT turbos will fit (i.e. clear block and all other hard objects) with a Bluebird manifold? A GTi-R manifold?
I believe there is not much that will fit on a BB manifold. I think the 3037 will clear the block with a gtir mailfold if the flange is milled at an angle and holes drilled out. Wastegate is still a small issue.

There is a little confusion about the 3037. HKS 3037 is not equal to GT30 - series turbos. The HKS 3037 is a garrett-based turbo, but is HKS-proprietary. meaning, you can't get the exact turbine/compressor from anywhere else. It seems that you can get something very similar from elsewhere. the 3037 has a t25 flange.

a turbo rob told me should perform similarly but should be easier to come by (Garrett turbo. I think Incon can source) is the GT30(r?). I'm not positive which flange it uses (t3 or t25) but its a full ballbearing turbo like the 3037 . 76.2mm 52/56 trim compressor, 60mm 84 trim .82 A/R turbine. These turbine specs are awfully similar to those of the 3037, the only difference is the A/R, which makes me think its the same t25 housing. (not positive). The compressor specs are identical, except the 3037 uses a (newer, i think) wheel with different aerodynamics.

The GT28(r?) series turbos are supposed to be good in some configurations. this is similar/same as the GT2835 and uses a t25 flange. (cut GT30 wheel in a t25 turbine housing). the horsepower cieling on this one might be a bit lower. (350-400)

GT25-based turbos (hks 2540, gt25r) are big turds according to rob.

for more moderate street power, the disco-potato B15 SEMA car's turbo is supposedly the hot ticket, but is not available to the public yet; and i believe will bolt to the gtir manifold. its sortof similar to Ray's turbo ; a t28 with a to4b compressor housing.

There is also a rumor circulating occasionally that Garrett's ballistics-series turbos (all the GT30, GT28, etc. stuff) are being discontinued. this rumor is apparently untrue.

Disclaimer: im not an expert at this, i'm just passing along what i've learned. YMMV IMHO, etc...

Andris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts