SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just want to be sure I'm not going crazy here.

Seeing as the GT30R wheels are pretty much the same as the HKS GT3037 I'm assuming the housings are very similar as well. 84 Trim 60mm turbine side with a 76.2mm 56 trim on the cold side in a .60 housing with a 4" inlet.

So, here's the confusion. The Garrett catalog lists two turbine housing kits. One is a .82 and the other is a 1.06. They are "rating" this turbo from 350-500hp. This is obviously crank hp. Reading other reviews of the GT3037 includin Rob Cadle's write up where he says the .73 housing is good for 400-425whp and the .89 is good for 475whp+! So what the hell is the 1.06 going to be like and support! I'm being told the .82 housing will have "very good" spool characteristics on a 9.5:1 SR20. Sounds like conflicting information.

Essentially I need something between the 300whp GT28RS and the 450whp GT30R We are looking for 350-375whp with more attention to spool than max hp potential. The maps for the GT30RS hit spot on where I want to be considering this will be more of a "street gas" car as well. The only thing I could find in the Garrett catalog was the "small" GT30R but the only housing they list is the big old .82 housing. So What's the deal/difference between the GT3037 turbine side and the housings that Garrett lists?

Anyone have any insight real world or otherwise?

Thanks in advance. ( I hope this makes sense as I'm typing it between phone calls and questions from across the room lol )

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
andris said:
Get a .73 HKS turbine housing for $170 and bot it up to a gti-r manifold :)

andris
Well...unfortunately that's not really an option as I'm a Garrett dealer and both current customer jobs already have a log style manifold. :)

I already have a GT30R with the .82 housing sitting here, so I guess we'll just bolt it up and see what it does. :D

If anyone else has any other info to contribute, please do!

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
uhh, 1.06 sounds like a lag monster. there was a video floating around of a 539 whp 240 with that turbo, he had the 0.82. looked to have fairly decent spool, like a little quicker than a stg III 0.82 ball bearing T3, which is to be expected.

the HKS has a T25 flange and this funky housing. its smaller than a garrett T3 housing, but close. that would probably explain its better spool.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
JayHass said:
Okay, I just want to be sure I'm not going crazy here.

Seeing as the GT30R wheels are pretty much the same as the HKS GT3037 I'm assuming the housings are very similar as well. 84 Trim 60mm turbine side with a 76.2mm 56 trim on the cold side in a .60 housing with a 4" inlet.

So, here's the confusion. The Garrett catalog lists two turbine housing kits. One is a .82 and the other is a 1.06. They are "rating" this turbo from 350-500hp. This is obviously crank hp. Reading other reviews of the GT3037 includin Rob Cadle's write up where he says the .73 housing is good for 400-425whp and the .89 is good for 475whp+! So what the hell is the 1.06 going to be like and support! I'm being told the .82 housing will have "very good" spool characteristics on a 9.5:1 SR20. Sounds like conflicting information.

Essentially I need something between the 300whp GT28RS and the 450whp GT30R We are looking for 350-375whp with more attention to spool than max hp potential. The maps for the GT30RS hit spot on where I want to be considering this will be more of a "street gas" car as well. The only thing I could find in the Garrett catalog was the "small" GT30R but the only housing they list is the big old .82 housing. So What's the deal/difference between the GT3037 turbine side and the housings that Garrett lists?

Anyone have any insight real world or otherwise?

Thanks in advance. ( I hope this makes sense as I'm typing it between phone calls and questions from across the room lol )
I am putting a GT30R with a .82 on an EVO VIII right now, should have information soon.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
choaderboy2 said:
I am putting a GT30R with a .82 on an EVO VIII right now, should have information soon.

Mike
SWEET! Will the old T3 style 4 bolt housings bolt up? I havn't even looked and don't have one hanging around to try right now. (.63 is what comes to mind for lower hp applications) All I've got is this funky GT stuff in the shop. :D

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
JayHass said:
SWEET! Will the old T3 style 4 bolt housings bolt up? I havn't even looked and don't have one hanging around to try right now. (.63 is what comes to mind for lower hp applications) All I've got is this funky GT stuff in the shop. :D
Yes, its the same bolt pattern as the old T3 housings. GT stuff totlay kicks ass, its not even a fair fight.

Now every dork can build a 500 hp street car.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
choaderboy2 said:
Yes, its the same bolt pattern as the old T3 housings. GT stuff totlay kicks ass, its not even a fair fight.

Now every dork can build a 500 hp street car.

Mike
Hell yea! When I got my first GT turbo in I was like :eek: :cool:

What's your thought about the old style .63 turbine housing on the GT30R?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
JayHass said:
Hell yea! When I got my first GT turbo in I was like :eek: :cool:

What's your thought about the old style .63 turbine housing on the GT30R?
I think its too small for a 2 liter, with the high tech innards the 82 will spool like a old 63!

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
choaderboy2 said:
I think its too small for a 2 liter, with the high tech innards the 82 will spool like a old 63!

Mike
Well hell if that's the case...the .82 should be just fine for this application! :D

Actually I just realized I DO have a .63 T3 housing that's coming off a car we are (re)building. I might just try it to see the results. Who knows, maybe it will be uber responsive and flow well enough for the guys who only want 350whp. :)

I'm really interested in hearing the rusults of the EVO. Although it does seem the 4G63 takes more kindly to small exhaust housings than the SR20 for whatever reason.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
yeah, 0.63 is considered big, and the 0.82 is considered unbearably laggy for the DSM guys. compression ratio maybe? valve timing? bore/stroke? who knows. the other thing is they can make big power on the 0.63 A/R housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts