SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a GTI-R engine drop in a 92 Sentra SE-R.
Also, will the hood have to be modified to make room for the top mount intercooler.

·
Registered
194 Posts
But you can also mount the IC upfront but you'll need to get custom piping which will only set you back like $90 if even that. Its been done.

Mel

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
>If you keep the TMIC, you will need to get a hood scoop.

No longer! SR20Developments also sells an intercooler relocation kit that
relocates the BB top mount intercooler out front, like Ben Moses and Ben
Davis did. The kit comes with all the brakets, pipes, and clamps, etc that
you will need to install the kit. I think Chris told me it sells for $375.

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies

·
Registered
64 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by STU:
Will a GTI-R engine drop in a 92 Sentra SE-R.
Also, will the hood have to be modified to make room for the top mount intercooler.
</font>
how far are you from Baltimore

·
1,168 Posts
The hood doesn not nessecarily have to be modified you can get that kit that i mentioned in the post before
and i believe www.Mrengine.com had a few in stock, im not sure they will come and go pretty fast..AND some people say that you cant put that engine in the classic or the 200, but thats also false just ebcause its AWD does not mean it wont work the the FWD configuration

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies [[email protected]]

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
I don't think a GTi-R IC would fit front mount, it's way bigger than a BB IC. I'm sure you could do it but you would probably have to hack off a good portion of bumper metal in the process. If you could get a nice functional hood scoop would be nice, although you would have to cut a nice size hole in your otherwise hole free hood.

·
1,168 Posts
You can purchase the turbo hood, i believe that will solve all your problems actually. I ave some pics of that application on a car if you were intrested!

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies [[email protected]]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Problem with top mounting is that the IC is right on top of the VC. It gets really hot really quick and totaly heat soaked. Even with a hood scoop you arent getting the full effectiveness of the IC. There just isnt anywhere for the air to go it has to push its way around the intake penum and everything. Yes there are people that have ran the TMIC on both GTi-R and BB engines with no problems, but there are tons others that have spun bearings mainly cause of heat.

Personaly I dont see the need of the GTi-R engine in a daily driver. Since it requires much more matience with its mechanical lifters. i guess if you just want to do some dick waving and say "uhh i have a gti-r engine" and then pay twice or more the price....go right ahead.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Bowlcut, I basically want to kick any civics ass that comes my way and I want to be able to toy with an Si then kick its ass too!!

·
1,168 Posts
So go DET..DET will beat most n/a civics..now if the sivic has a greddy stage 3 turbo, uhm i dunno..but you dont see to many of those

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies
http://www.geocities.com/averex2k/dennis/dennis.htm

·
1,168 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
i guess if you just want to do some dick waving and say "uhh i have a gti-r engine"
</font>
HAHAAHA, that is absolutly the funniest thing i have ever heard!!

------------------

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
I guess if you just want to do some dick waving and say "uhh i have a gti-r engine"

</font>
Hey I like my "Dick Waving"

sr20B12
"With GTi-R engine and real 93 GTi-R (my pops)"

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by STU:
Well Bowlcut, I basically want to kick any civics ass that comes my way and I want to be able to toy with an Si then kick its ass too!!</font>
Well, unless you're into dick waving, get the BB DET and invest the money you save into that. For the same amount of total money, the BB DET will be faster if you invest wisely.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel E Bog:
But you can also mount the IC upfront but you'll need to get custom piping which will only set you back like $90 if even that. Its been done.
</font>
Bullshit <cough><cough> bullshit!

Having just made a complete set of IC piping, I can tell you the cost of the materials alone is at least that much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts