SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tird of a 91 se is ready for it's heart transplant , so any way I am trying to get everything ready but a few things I am not shure of
1 - what fuel pump are you guys using

2 - what is the deal with the flywheel starter. IE :some say I have to have a usdm starter and flywheel .Some say the GTI-R stuff will work or any combination of the too might work ?
so who is right

3 - I found a supposed jdm sr20det fwd trannie but how do I identify it from a plain jane usdm stock trannie ?

4 - maf - my motor didnt come with a maf so what can I use so that I dont have to upgrade my ecu for a lil while

5 - ecu - I plan on using the GTI-R ecu

6 - left and right axels I assume just stock se-r 91 - 93 will work

7 - passenger side/front and rear motor mounts and brackets
I assume these from a 91 - 93 se-r will work

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
RBNMYZ said:
my tird of a 91 se is ready for it's heart transplant , so any way I am trying to get everything ready but a few things I am not shure of
1 - what fuel pump are you guys using

2 - what is the deal with the flywheel starter. IE :some say I have to have a usdm starter and flywheel .Some say the GTI-R stuff will work or any combination of the too might work ?
so who is right

3 - I found a supposed jdm sr20det fwd trannie but how do I identify it from a plain jane usdm stock trannie ?

4 - maf - my motor didnt come with a maf so what can I use so that I dont have to upgrade my ecu for a lil while

5 - ecu - I plan on using the GTI-R ecu

6 - left and right axels I assume just stock se-r 91 - 93 will work

7 - passenger side/front and rear motor mounts and brackets
I assume these from a 91 - 93 se-r will work
1- I'm using the stock G20 fuel pump and keeping it below 10psi and its ok.

2- I used the FWD flywheel. Drill out the holes from 10mm to 11mm then it will bolt onto the GTIR crank. I used the GTiR starter but I think the USDM one will work also. The GTiR and the USDM flywheels use the same ring gears.

3- You can use any FWD transmission. there are 8 holes that line up. The 3 on the front, 2 on top, the 2 starter bolts and one on the back that bolts the rear mount to the motor/tranny. It will bolt right on but it won't line up 100% on the bottom of the engine to tranny but don't worry about it.

4- Get a SAFC-II and get a Z32 MAF. Don't use your USDM MAF. you'll run soo rich that you don't have any power. If you have a FPR you can actually tweak your FP and run the Z32 MAF with out a SAFC.

5- I'm running the GTiR ECU no problems so far... do you have the injector resistor pack from the GTIR harness? If not then you will still need injector resistors.

6- Yep.

7- The GTiR pass sidebracket will need to be swapped with your original ones. Basically just take your mounts off your motor and bolt them to the GTiR. Alternator and A/C bolt up too.

Here's my G20 Swap.... http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18100

Charles

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there any reason to swap flywheels at all .If they use the same ring gear then they are the same diameter and if you are using the GTI-R starter on a usdm flywheel then it sounds pointless to change anything ? just pull the AWD trannie off slap on the FWD trannie and go ? of am I missing something

SR20Turbofreak said:
1- I'm using the stock G20 fuel pump and keeping it below 10psi and its ok.

2- I used the FWD flywheel. Drill out the holes from 10mm to 11mm then it will bolt onto the GTIR crank. I used the GTiR starter but I think the USDM one will work also. The GTiR and the USDM flywheels use the same ring gears.

3- You can use any FWD transmission. there are 8 holes that line up. The 3 on the front, 2 on top, the 2 starter bolts and one on the back that bolts the rear mount to the motor/tranny. It will bolt right on but it won't line up 100% on the bottom of the engine to tranny but don't worry about it.

4- Get a SAFC-II and get a Z32 MAF. Don't use your USDM MAF. you'll run soo rich that you don't have any power. If you have a FPR you can actually tweak your FP and run the Z32 MAF with out a SAFC.

5- I'm running the GTiR ECU no problems so far... do you have the injector resistor pack from the GTIR harness? If not then you will still need injector resistors.

6- Yep.

7- The GTiR pass sidebracket will need to be swapped with your original ones. Basically just take your mounts off your motor and bolt them to the GTiR. Alternator and A/C bolt up too.

Here's my G20 Swap.... http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18100

Charles

·
Registered
603 Posts
no not so fast , i have the same swap in my car on the gtir flywheel ring gear is the same as the usdm but the outer diameter is different, so no the your tranny wont fit
as for the injectors you dont need the resistors am running my car with out it with no problem for the fuel pump get a wallbarrow 255 its cheap......

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'd recommend the resistors because My friend Jon burned up his driver circuit in His GTIR ecu by not using resistors. But that was his experience and there could have been some other factor that I don't know about. I've got a Walbro on the way and would call it a must. The Flywheel outter diameter is different and I guess that I won't fit into the FWD trans. Its basically a "lightened flywheel" upgrade......almost. I know that you can grind parts of the FWD belhousing away to get the GTiR flywheel to fit but thats too much work.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
having never seen a GTI-R motor in person yet (I will see mine on friday wahoo)where is this resistor pack, I take it this is oem equipment and not something I have to add on .
and where the hell can I get a GTI-R MAF from I sorced on here in the states but I dont really like to buy from the guy who has it .any one have one for sale or know someone who knows someone who knows someone who has one for sale ?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
RBNMYZ said:
having never seen a GTI-R motor in person yet (I will see mine on friday wahoo)where is this resistor pack, I take it this is oem equipment and not something I have to add on .
and where the hell can I get a GTI-R MAF from I sorced on here in the states but I dont really like to buy from the guy who has it .any one have one for sale or know someone who knows someone who knows someone who has one for sale ?
I got some spare GTiR parts but nothing much that you might need. I have No idea about where to get a MAF off the top of my head. When you get your motor If there is a 8 pin connector that is not used and there isn't much else beside it and it is on the same part as the injectors that is where the resister pack goes. You wanna see pocs of a GTIR? here ya go....

http://www.g20.net/gallery/showgall...=gt20ir+gtir&perpage=12&sort=2&stype=&ppuser=

heres a few of my car and a few others. (GT20iR is me)

Charles

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kinda fubard about saying I have never seen a GTI-R in person I have but just never messed with one sry bout the fubar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts