SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently debating the purchase of either a 70's pickup or a 200sx se-r. If I get the 200 I really want to do the gti-r swap. I was looking on heavythrottle.com and one of their engines comes with the awd tranny and rear drive parts. Would convting the 200sx from fwd to awd be very difficult using the gti-r parts? Also, they're selling a complete motor with ecu, maf, intercooler, pipes, and everything for $3000. Is there anything that I'm missing? Could the swap be done properly by backyard mechanic such as myself. My last question is, where can I find more information on the gti-r motor? Thanks :)
 

·
En mi barrio..
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Logo said:
I'm currently debating the purchase of either a 70's pickup or a 200sx se-r. If I get the 200 I really want to do the gti-r swap. I was looking on heavythrottle.com and one of their engines comes with the awd tranny and rear drive parts. Would convting the 200sx from fwd to awd be very difficult using the gti-r parts? Also, they're selling a complete motor with ecu, maf, intercooler, pipes, and everything for $3000. Is there anything that I'm missing? Could the swap be done properly by backyard mechanic such as myself. My last question is, where can I find more information on the gti-r motor? Thanks :)
If you pick up a Se-r and want to put a DET in it, I would say you should go with the Bluebird engine. It's a easier swap and i'm getting the feeling that your not gonna be going for big hp's anytime soon (if u get the det). Converting a Se-r to 4WD requires a lot more than an AWD tranni and engine. U would basically have to get either a complete bluebird or a GTi-R and have every drivetrain piece custom fabricated onto the Se-r, which has no guarantee on working properly.
 

·
Turbo owns you!!!!!!!!
Joined
·
781 Posts
i got my GTi-R motor on heavy throttle. i have everything off the car. the whole rear end driveshafts suspension from the GTi-R. in about 6 months i am going to attempt 4wd.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: GTi-R swap for se-r

Sr20 B12 said:


If you pick up a Se-r and want to put a DET in it, I would say you should go with the Bluebird engine. It's a easier swap and i'm getting the feeling that your not gonna be going for big hp's anytime soon (if u get the det). Converting a Se-r to 4WD requires a lot more than an AWD tranni and engine. U would basically have to get either a complete bluebird or a GTi-R and have every drivetrain piece custom fabricated onto the Se-r, which has no guarantee on working properly.
I have been told by several people that the GTi-R motor will bolt right up to the existing se-r transmission. In fact, I believe it even says so on heavythrottle's site. How much horsepower does the bluebird engine make?
 

·
En mi barrio..
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Re: Re: Re: GTi-R swap for se-r

Logo said:


I have been told by several people that the GTi-R motor will bolt right up to the existing se-r transmission. In fact, I believe it even says so on heavythrottle's site. How much horsepower does the bluebird engine make?
I never said that it didn't! I'm just telling you that the GTi-R 4 wheel drive system will not work on the Se-r with out serious fabrications. I'm gonna tell you the basics of the sr20det conversions into the Se-r. This is the last time I will be ever telling anyone this because this question is asked weekly and i'm tired of typing it over and over again. Who ever is doing the swap for you should be telling you something simular to what i'm telling you, if not I wouldn't trust them to do anything. Here is the basics on the swaps (not the engines):

The Gti-r engine does bolt up to the sr20de tranni, but that's only one step in the det swap process. You have to wire up the ECU correctly, adjust the TP sensor have to adjust the thottle cable, have to drill the Se-r flywheel to fit on to the GTi-R engine, and I could go on and on. I have work with about 5 GTi-r engine swaps into Sentra's and GTi-R's. I've also worked on bluebird swaps. I can tell u right now, that personally your not gonna want a GTi-R engine. To you it's only a name, cause you basically can't tell the difference between a Gti-r and a bluebird engine.

A Gti-r engine puts out 220hp's - 235hp's. It can run you $3000 - $4500 for a complete engine and tranni (which you don't need) and about $1500 - $2000 to install. Harder to do, most of the parts are not interchangeable with the sr20de and if missing from your engine or you break something you would have to order it from Europe or Japan (or pay a parts importer over here a grip for it).

A bluebird engine puts out 205hp's- 215hp's. It will run you about $1700 give or take for a complete engine and tranni (which u also don't need) and about 1300 to have it put into a se-r. It's the strightest wire up and mount out of the swaps and the easiest to tune. Many of the parts are interchangeable with the sr20de. They will not be that hard to find and too expensive incase your missing something from your engine or your upgrading later on. Bang of buck this is the easiest and cheaper swap, and you can spend the money your saving on other parts you'll be needing when your swapping (such as exhaust, or front mount intercooler if you want).

If you wanna know more about the GTi-R and the Bluebird SSS engine engine hit up a search engine and type in GTi-R or Bluebird SSS, it's not that hard.

-Mario
1987 Sentra w/sr20det (GTI-R)
1992 GTi-R (crashed but still running)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: GTi-R swap for se-r

Sr20 B12 said:


I never said that it didn't! I'm just telling you that the GTi-R 4 wheel drive system will not work on the Se-r with out serious fabrications. I'm gonna tell you the basics of the sr20det conversions into the Se-r. This is the last time I will be ever telling anyone this because this question is asked weekly and i'm tired of typing it over and over again. Who ever is doing the swap for you should be telling you something simular to what i'm telling you, if not I wouldn't trust them to do anything. Here is the basics on the swaps (not the engines):

The Gti-r engine does bolt up to the sr20de tranni, but that's only one step in the det swap process. You have to wire up the ECU correctly, adjust the TP sensor have to adjust the thottle cable, have to drill the Se-r flywheel to fit on to the GTi-R engine, and I could go on and on. I have work with about 5 GTi-r engine swaps into Sentra's and GTi-R's. I've also worked on bluebird swaps. I can tell u right now, that personally your not gonna want a GTi-R engine. To you it's only a name, cause you basically can't tell the difference between a Gti-r and a bluebird engine.

A Gti-r engine puts out 220hp's - 235hp's. It can run you $3000 - $4500 for a complete engine and tranni (which you don't need) and about $1500 - $2000 to install. Harder to do, most of the parts are not interchangeable with the sr20de and if missing from your engine or you break something you would have to order it from Europe or Japan (or pay a parts importer over here a grip for it).

A bluebird engine puts out 205hp's- 215hp's. It will run you about $1700 give or take for a complete engine and tranni (which u also don't need) and about 1300 to have it put into a se-r. It's the strightest wire up and mount out of the swaps and the easiest to tune. Many of the parts are interchangeable with the sr20de. They will not be that hard to find and too expensive incase your missing something from your engine or your upgrading later on. Bang of buck this is the easiest and cheaper swap, and you can spend the money your saving on other parts you'll be needing when your swapping (such as exhaust, or front mount intercooler if you want).

If you wanna know more about the GTi-R and the Bluebird SSS engine engine hit up a search engine and type in GTi-R or Bluebird SSS, it's not that hard.

-Mario
1987 Sentra w/sr20det (GTI-R)
1992 GTi-R (crashed but still running)
If you're not going to be civil please don't bother answering my questions. I apologize that I'm new at this. I tried searching the forums myself but came up empty handed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
I thought that the answer given was very civil, very informative, and extremely good advice. Where is he not being civil? He gave some excellent info that you can really use from someone who has done the swap.

Also, I did the search here in the forum and came up with multiple hits. Did the search on this forum not work for you?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tommy said:
I thought that the answer given was very civil, very informative, and extremely good advice. Where is he not being civil? He gave some excellent info that you can really use from someone who has done the swap.

Also, I did the search here in the forum and came up with multiple hits. Did the search on this forum not work for you?
It wasn't that he didn't give me helpful information? He gave me plent of that and I thank him for it. He just came off very rude and condesending on his last post.

I guess the search feature did not work for me. It gave me 0 results. I'll try it again. Don't get me wrong. I have no problems with searching for the answers myself. I just need a quick steer in the right direction and some good resources. The thing I'm really looking for right now is detailed information on the bluebird and gti-r motors. I'm only finding very vague and general information. Thanks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
logo,

ok the gti-r motor will botl up to a sr20 tranny, just about 80% of the bolts line up but it will work. sr20 b12 gave you some VERY imformant info that will be desired to know when coming around to picking parts out. i bought my gtir- motor with the entire front clip and it ran me 3200 after being shipped. as far as truning awd, that is a l;arge feat to accomplish. not to say it is not capable of being done, but very expensive. if heavythrottle gives you the spindles, full suspension and rwd housing as well as some other small peices. then you'll have to find a custom chassis shop to fabricate everything after that. believe me i talked to eip tuning and they said a outrageous amount to turn my b14 awd and i threw that right out the window.
if you want to make your dolar cost effective then keep your motor in the se-r buy anoght block build it and turbo that so that you have less down time and a totally built motor in the meantime as well.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html
 

·
-
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
Logo said:


It wasn't that he didn't give me helpful information? He gave me plent of that and I thank him for it. He just came off very rude and condesending on his last post.

I guess the search feature did not work for me. It gave me 0 results. I'll try it again. Don't get me wrong. I have no problems with searching for the answers myself. I just need a quick steer in the right direction and some good resources. The thing I'm really looking for right now is detailed information on the bluebird and gti-r motors. I'm only finding very vague and general information. Thanks :)
Try searching the motherlode: www.se-r-list.org

If you think he came off as rude, try to ask questions on the mailing list that have been rehashed. You'll see in time that it does get majorly frustrating when the same questions are asked on a weekly basis, and more often than not, whoever is asking will then *doubt* the response.

Examples:
"I cant afford Premium gas, will I get hp from advancing my timing?"
"Surely there is a better solution to ECU tuning than Jim Wolf, and its probably cheaper!"
"AWD *has* to be possible, you guys are just naysayers"
"I should be able to lower my car 3 inches, but I cant afford struts"

I dont think you are doing this, but Im just trying to paint a picture of where this tone is coming from , because it must seem to you to come out of left field (I know, Ive been there...7 years ago!)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
llaprad1 said:


Try searching the motherlode: www.se-r-list.org

If you think he came off as rude, try to ask questions on the mailing list that have been rehashed. You'll see in time that it does get majorly frustrating when the same questions are asked on a weekly basis, and more often than not, whoever is asking will then *doubt* the response.

Examples:
"I cant afford Premium gas, will I get hp from advancing my timing?"
"Surely there is a better solution to ECU tuning than Jim Wolf, and its probably cheaper!"
"AWD *has* to be possible, you guys are just naysayers"
"I should be able to lower my car 3 inches, but I cant afford struts"

I dont think you are doing this, but Im just trying to paint a picture of where this tone is coming from , because it must seem to you to come out of left field (I know, Ive been there...7 years ago!)
Thanks. The list was very helpful. I understand how it can be very frustrating when the same question is asked over and over again. I apologize for that. I guess what I really should have asked to from the beginning were links to resources.
 

·
-
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
Speaking of which, I *swear* Ive been on this list long enough not to have "SE-R Newbie" under my name. Sheesh, how embarassing. :p

Ive owned 4 SE-Rs for Pete's sake!!!
 

·
En mi barrio..
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
if I wasn't civil, I can't change it cause that's how I talk. I'm just saying if you wanna learn try and do it on your own first. To me ur first post sounded like you only wanted the GTi-R engine because it was from a Gti-R. Hell, I went to heavytrottle.com and they had a GTi-R engine under Bluebird!!!! See what I mean?

Do your homework and you'll be fine. Hell i'm only 16 and look at what I know!:cool:

-Mario
1987 Sentra w/sr20det (GTi-R)
1992 GTi-R (all mine!!!!!)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top