SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys. Im new here at the sr20 boards but a reg at the 1.6 one but anyways...i had a few questions for all you guys. What exactly am i looking at for parts for the swap besides the obvious (engine, tranny, and ecu)? Also i know it varries but what kind of ballpark am i looking at saving? Thanks for all the help!

------------------
Blair 93XE
Soon to have a GTi-R Swap

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Well I've prepped my 1.6L 200sx for the DET swap and heres my list o' goodies I've got.... I've heard a ton of people say that only one mount is different - and from what I've seen one or two are the same but the rest are different - I was missing the engine and tranny in my 200sx so I had no mounts to begin with.... anyways here was my list:
You'll Need
Obvious - SR20DET Engine
SR20DE US sensors (TPS/2 coolant/o2 and maybe distributor)
Tranny from a SR20 car
Flywheel from SR20 car (most engine from japan have an auto flywheel on them)
Axles from SR20 car
I'd plan on all motor mounts - it can't hurt pluss you can have the ES mounts pressed in before hand....
I've heard about adjustment issues with the clutch cable to get it right....
Jim Wolfe ECU
SE-R wiring harness (although SR20development can rewire the 1.6 harness but thats downtime)
SE-R cluster is optional

I haven't finished my swap and I don't have the GTi-R motor so you'll have other issues... best of luck
Chris

It sounds easy but all in all if I coulda found a SE-R wrecked for the same price I woulda bough it in a heartbeat....

oh ya Some use their 1.6L radiator but I'd go with a bigger one for better cooling...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just as a guess, I'd say you probably need about $5000. This is if you have a shop do it rather than yourself or a friend.

About $2500 for the engine and tranny and $600 for the ECU from JWT. I would guess another few hundred dollars for things like axles and cross member and cluster gauge, etc.

Then about $1500 for labor. Wiring up a GTIR is harder than a BB DET, and I know that doing the wiring for a GTIR into a 1.6 is a nightmare. You gotta splice the GTIR wiring harness and 1.6 harness together.

If you have any money left over, you should try to get a front mount intercooler, or rig the stock top mount intercooler to mount it up front. Plus, the 1.6 radiator is really small, so you probably want an SR20 radiator at least. Then, you would probably have to get a new 3" exhaust or at least 2.5" since the stock 1.6 exhaust is really, really small (like 1.5" or something). Brakes would also be a nice thing to upgrade since the 1.6 has pitiful brakes that won't be adequate for the power of the engine.

Didn't you have a lot of bolt ons on your 93? I thought I remembered you having a pretty quick Sentra from what I remember from the other board. I used to be pretty active over there. I had the JDM SR20DE swapped into my 93 XE. It was quite an ordeal. I hope you don't need your car for a little while also because the swap may take a while.

Anyways, good luck with everything. I'm sure I left stuff out, but there are other people here who can fill in any missing pieces. Welcome to the board.

Tommy

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks guys and no tommy i dont have many bolt ons i just bought it last august and only have a cone filter on it now. Im saving for a gtir as u probably noticed. About that harness where would i go to get it wired up? Also i would either need a se-r cluster right? or could i just add an aftermarket tach to my existing setup?

------------------
Blair 93XE
Soon to have a GTi-R Swap

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm pretty sure you would have to get another gauge cluster as your speedo won't be calibrated correctly for the GTIR engine. I also think the speedo cable would be different between the 1.6 and GTIR.

As for the wiring harness, I am not entirely sure which harness you have to use for the GTIR engine. Hopefully somebody else can help you with that one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey ive got a friend in the area down here who has a gtir in a 1.6 sentra. he spent around 5k on it im not sure what all he needed but if u want a list i can talk to him

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
y would you need a new speedo cable if your using the 2.0 tranny that is calibrated for said car?? you cant use the gtir tranny.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
I would highly recommend just getting a bluebird DET over the GTiR. The GTiR engine has a lot of different parts compared to the regular DET/DE which share a lot of common parts. Not to mention the hp difference is neglidgeable.

G

·
0 Posts
I would highly recommend just getting a bluebird DET over the GTiR.

***Amen brutha!

The GTiR engine has a lot of different parts compared to the regular DET/DE which share a lot of common parts.

***Exactly, I have had a hard time sourcing simple replacement parts like a new oil pan and water pump. If you throw or break a rocker arm, your car will be down for a while, too..as the mechanical valvetrain is very different than the USDM hydraulic lash adjusters. You will have to order these parts from Japan, England, or Australia.

Not to mention the hp difference is neglidgeable.

***AT stock boost levels, this is true. However, at higher boost levels with a bigger turbo, the GTi-R head and short runner intake manifold shine through. Also, the GTi-R has mechanical lifters, which can be safely revved higher than the hydraulic lash adjusters in the Bluebird and SR20DE.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have turbocharged my SR20DE or just got a Bluebird engine. The quad throttle bodies are very finicky and it is hard to adjust the idle speed properly, as the throttle bodies need to be synchronized.

I got the GTi-R to be cool, to be different, and b/c the engine was rare...not realizing that I would have been much happier with a low maintenance Bluebird.

IMHO.

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ditto what he said...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SucKit:
y would you need a new speedo cable if your using the 2.0 tranny that is calibrated for said car?? you cant use the gtir tranny.</font>

------------------
92'XE/w-Primera swap
sleepr w/N20

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hey Jay what does your car idle at now that it still pisses you off? As far as water pump goes wouldnt you be able to get yours rebuilt from a shop that specializes in rebuilding stuff like that? I dont know if this helps since you mentioned your throttle plates were played around with but after my ecu was fuc*ed up and i changed it to a new one...the new one constantly idles at 900-950 no matter what while my old while idles at 600-900 or with the afc 900-1100.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SucKit:
y would you need a new speedo cable if your using the 2.0 tranny that is calibrated for said car?? you cant use the gtir tranny.</font>
Hmmm....well, he has a 93 XE, so it runs off an electrical sensor...so it would NOT involve a speedo cable...FYI

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SENTRASER:
Hmmm....well, he has a 93 XE, so it runs off an electrical sensor...so it would NOT involve a speedo cable...FYI

</font>
Exaclty, so if you swap in a 2.0 tranny, you have to swap out the gauge cluster because the 93 Xe gauge cluster will not accept a speedo cable. Make sense?

So, the conclusion is you DEFINTIELY need an SR20 gauge cluster.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Jay what does your car idle at now that it still pisses you off?

***I just bought a used set of throttle bodies and intake manifold from Andreas in Miami. I have not yet installed them, as I am still in the process of rebuilding the bottom end.

As far as water pump goes wouldnt you be able to get yours rebuilt from a shop that specializes in rebuilding stuff like that?

***Probably. My water pump is fine. I simply ordered another to have as a spare in the event that my current pump fails, which could be right away or in several years.

***My friend's car idles at 950/1000 RPM whihc is fine with me...as long as I can accurately set my timing, I am happy.

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
247 Posts
How much you guys pay for a sr20de to GTI-R swap? Engine included.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
You know you're posting on really old threads, aren't you?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I got the GTi-R to be cool, to be different, and b/c the engine was rare...not realizing that I would have been much happier with a low maintenance Bluebird.

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
jay as always has hit the nail on the head.

blair you kneww i had a gti-r motor in my 200sx. you should have come to me. i would have told you the same thing. get a bb or a avenir motor. the gti-r is nothing but a headache and neds constant attention. the heads are noisy, and unles you have tons of time and rescources stay away from the gti-r motor.

if i had to do it all over again, i would have built a de and puit a turbo set up on that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts