SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you use the gtir tranny for fwd until i finsh the awd? will it hurt the tranny? any info is appreciated dont try to giv eme **** along the lines of exta weight and what not im going awd i just want to know if ill be able to drive the car after i get the motor and rhd conversion done.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No, for one I dont think it would even fit , axles are way different and even if you removed the AWD portion , you would still not have a way to hook up the axles ..also the mounts are different ...sorry , your gona need a FWD SR trans ..

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SHAWNATGERBROCK said:
No, for one I dont think it would even fit , axles are way different and even if you removed the AWD portion , you would still not have a way to hook up the axles ..also the mounts are different ...sorry , your gona need a FWD SR trans ..

[bitter chef]ok dont give me that crap, will the tranny work as FWD? i dont care about the mounts and everything if you dont know dont respond i dont need answers to questions im not asking[/bitter chef]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
serchef said:
[bitter chef]ok dont give me that crap, will the tranny work as FWD? i dont care about the mounts and everything if you dont know dont respond i dont need answers to questions im not asking[/bitter chef]
Hmm, well ...Then next time dont include "any info is appreciated" .....I just stated what I do know from the GTi-R Transmissions I have had ...

·
Witness The Power Of AWD!
819 Posts
i dont think the rear part of the tranny will clear the floor/fire wall on the B series chassis....i could be wrong. Only one of the engine mounts will work, the drivers side, there is another mount for the transmission on the drivers side farther back into the engine bay which the B series dont have (i think).

If you still feel the need to pound, hack, weld, "fabricate" and spend your way into understeering heaven by all means do. If you leave the rear output shaft free of obstruction it will work as a fwd open diff tranny, you could always put a nice boat prop on the rear ouput shaft for those deep puddles?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Awd

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE AWD 50 BOX AS A FWD ONLY GEARBOX!!!!

Serious damage will result from trying to elimanate the rear drive portion.

The rear differential MUST spin at the same rate as determined by the gear reduction within the transfer case. if you allow that output shaft of the transfer case to "freewheel" the transmission will transmit ALL available power towards the rear.

If you could SOLIDLY mount the output shaft of the transfer case to the body so that it didn't move at all, you may be able to limp around, HOWEVER, that's a whole lot of work. it would be much easier and much more simple to just reinstall the FWD 30 box.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mubarick5243 said:
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE AWD 50 BOX AS A FWD ONLY GEARBOX!!!!

Serious damage will result from trying to elimanate the rear drive portion.

The rear differential MUST spin at the same rate as determined by the gear reduction within the transfer case. if you allow that output shaft of the transfer case to "freewheel" the transmission will transmit ALL available power towards the rear.

If you could SOLIDLY mount the output shaft of the transfer case to the body so that it didn't move at all, you may be able to limp around, HOWEVER, that's a whole lot of work. it would be much easier and much more simple to just reinstall the FWD 30 box.

ok thanks

that just means i will have to go ahead and cut the tunnel and everything before i can take the car out, thanks for answering my question.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,625 Posts
Kid: "Mom, can I eat Drano?"
Mom: "No."
Kid: "Why not?"
Mom: "It'll kill you dead."
Kid: "But how will it kill me dead? I think you're wrong unless you can explain in detail."
Mom: "The cuastic portion will rupture the cell walls in your intestinal tract causing massive edema and hemorraging. You will experience excruciating pain until your body runs out of blood and and your brain ceases to function."
Kid:" Oh, okay. I won't eat any Drano, then."

·
slave to the grind
2,707 Posts
roflmao

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Jeff, do what you have to do with the AWD conversion and prove these peeps wrong. You know you can do it. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have already completed the front end of my AWD B13 SE-R, and yes, the gearbox does fit, you just have to do a little bit of persuading to get it there.

I wasn't telling hommie not to attempt the AWD swap, i was simply telling him that if he doesn't secure the output shaft of the transfer case, serious damage would result to the gearbox.

don't go jumping down people's throats... i don't think that anyone in this thread was saying not to attempt it.

SERCHEF -- best of luck to you and your project.

I'll start posting pics of mine as soon as i get some more work done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts