SR20 Forum banner

GTiR Main Bearing machining

7K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  NX$paniard 
#1 ·
Need some quick info/assistance..

Im looking to get my DE block machined for GTiR main bearings to take advantage of the better design and 360 degrees of oiling.
My main question is what EXACTLY is to get machined??? The DE block has a groove on the main journal and no grooves on the main caps... so do they just machine a groove on the main caps?? or do they machine the bearings themselves, or what??? I read Kojima's article in Turbo Mag and it just confused me because it kept referring to the rod bearings being machined.... figured it was just a typo, because the rod bearings should fit right on (im runnin GTiR rods anyway-so thats not an issue).

In other words can someone (there are several people who have done it) give me some insight.. possibly some literature to the process of machining the block for GTiR main bearings. Thanks!!

#3 ·
the bearings from the GTiR should go in, that or they may just need to run a tap to get the oil to feed...shouldn't have to machine bearings, man. That just doesn't sound right!

#4 ·
do you have pics of the bearings? I could tell you exactly what is going to be machined...probably just the dowels to keep the bearings from spinning... to keep them locked in place...still sounds funny...

#7 ·
well form my research with a guy who had JWT do his whole block, apparently they machine holes into the groove... 2 holes on the #1 journal and one on all the rest all on the same side...It also looks as if they made the groove deeper, but i cannot even begin to confirm that..
turboAZ2, PM me I have some pretty good pics that may help... Personally, I would just let JWT do it for the $100 bucks or whatever, but they said they have so many projects going on thast they wouldnt be able to even look at it till the end of summer, SCRUU THAT!! I wanna be burning C16 by the end of summer... so anyway thats the deal.. I will post more info on this if I find any more.. but for now this is all i have to go with...

#9 ·
Yo, Jose, ever get this figured out?

#12 ·
Wanna reveal the big secret? :D

#14 ·
Alright...............that gives me the most amazing picture of what I need to do....since I will most likely be doing it. Comon'mannnnnnnnnng.

#19 ·
NX$paniard said:
It CANNOT be done in a garage, no matter how good you think you are.

Not being a dick...its just a process that needs the proper jigs and tooling.
A Black & Decker cordless and some drill bits wont do it, knaaw mean?
Lol.

Hell, I have a drill press, and thousands of dollars worth of metal shop tools, and I still won't do it myself. The amount of money it costs is not worth the risk of knocking a hole in the side of your block.

#20 ·
the picture Luis posted is with the bearing installed. The #1 upper journal receives 2 specifically placed holes plus the groove. Both of those holes tap into oil galley. Journals 2-4 receive only one hole all in line with each other and also tap into the oil galley, along with the grooves. The holes probbaly arent too tricky, but if you **** that up youll damage the block. The hardest part I would think is the groove in the saddles it cant be too deep or too shallow all the way across.

Again, too much to risk..not easy--unless you have a nice jig setup like Mike Smith has

#21 ·
So its a matter of machining proper holes in the block itself into the oil galley? There's no machning of the bearing surface? Sounds like I may just want to use stock bearings......I really dont want to have to spend like $300 to ship it off somewhere and have them do it for me....who are the machine shops in Cali that will do it JOSE? You can PM me if you dont want to make it public.

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.