SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go ahead and sell these since I am having so many problems with my fuel system and it is costing more money than I want to spend to fix.

GTiR T28: $125 shipped (NEEDS TO BE REBUILT)
GTiR Manifold: 250 shipped (Good shape)
Items will be sold together

No oil/coolant lines and no nuts to hold the turbo on the manifold. Price is "FIRM" I am already taking a loss at the price I am selling for.
 

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
Joined
·
8,920 Posts
I'm interested in the turbo depending on its condition. Has the compressor wheel hit the housing? Does it still spin? Is the exhaust manifold cracked?
 

·
Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the compressor wheel has hit the housing. Yes the turbo still spins fairly easily. You can move the shaft though and make the compressor/turbine wheels touch the housing. No the manifold is not cracked from what I can see.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
oNeBaDaPpLe said:
Yes the compressor wheel has hit the housing. Yes the turbo still spins fairly easily. You can move the shaft though and make the compressor/turbine wheels touch the housing. No the manifold is not cracked from what I can see.
So besides getting a kit to rebuild this turbo, would I need to replace the compressor wheel? What else would be needed to get this turbo back into shape??
 

·
Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JRios said:
So besides getting a kit to rebuild this turbo, would I need to replace the compressor wheel? What else would be needed to get this turbo back into shape??
The compressor wheels have minor damage from where they touched the housing. The kind of damage you would get from metal on metal rubbing. It would be up to you if you decided to replace the wheel. According to Ken at cheapturbos.com, they replace the wheels if there is any type of damage. Other than that, I can't say what else the turbo would need. Never had it on my car.
 

·
EJ25 AWD Monster
Joined
·
4,680 Posts
oNeBaDaPpLe said:
The compressor wheels have minor damage from where they touched the housing. The kind of damage you would get from metal on metal rubbing. It would be up to you if you decided to replace the wheel. According to Ken at cheapturbos.com, they replace the wheels if there is any type of damage. Other than that, I can't say what else the turbo would need. Never had it on my car.
Thats a steal. bump, a good buy.
 

·
I like food
Joined
·
274 Posts
Turbo price seemed really good until I asked one of the local turbo rebuild shop for the price. He gave me quote of $495. I said, whaaaaaaat? Seriously pom pom? Did I see/hear the price correctly? $500 for turbo rebuild? I guess it's time for me to look for another turbo. Good price on the your turbo though. bump.
 

·
Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crono1321 said:
Wow after that post, good luck sellin it....
Well brand new the turbo is around $700, sometimes even more. So rebuilt turbo for around $625 isn't all that bad.
 

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
Joined
·
8,920 Posts
Well if you decide to part the turbo out and the turbine housing isn't cracked then I'm interested. Look for cracks around the wastegate flapper thats where they appear first.
 

·
I like food
Joined
·
274 Posts
oh, I didn't mean anything anyone. What I was saying was that, the guy who rebuilds turbo was probably smoking crack when he gave me that price. It should not cost you that much. I mean, you can get t28 rebuild kits on ebay for 100, if you know how. But $500? I think he was trying to twist my arm. plus, he kept telling me that gti-r is ball bearing turbo. I had to tell him, it's not ball bearing twice. I'm sure, it won't cost $500 rebuild the turbo, or am I just crazy?
 

·
Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
paNX2K&SE-R said:
Well if you decide to part the turbo out and the turbine housing isn't cracked then I'm interested. Look for cracks around the wastegate flapper thats where they appear first.
There are no cracks around the turbine housing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,322 Posts
You can get the rebuild kit but you are still going to have to take it to a shop to get professionally balanced. Might as well pay the $250 and have it look new from ceapturbo if you can wait a month or so.
 

·
EJ25 AWD Monster
Joined
·
4,680 Posts
oNeBaDaPpLe bring it up hear to cincy and I will get with my guy Jaymes. He can rebuilt it for 250, if the wheels are bad, it would cost more. He works for a turbo shop.
 

·
Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might have to do that Brian. I just got wind of a shop a few miles from me that does rebuilds as well. Going there tomorrow and see what they say.
 

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Crono1321 said:
You can get the rebuild kit but you are still going to have to take it to a shop to get professionally balanced. Might as well pay the $250 and have it look new from ceapturbo if you can wait a month or so.
cheapturbo.com full rebuild...
THIS INCLUDES ALL FACTORY SEALS AND BEARINGS BEING REPLACED, REBALANCING THE SHAFT AND CENTERSECTION AS WELL AS A FULL INSPECTION OF THE STATUS OF ALL OTHER COMPONENTS.ALSO INCLUDES FREE SHIPPING BACK TO THE CUSTOMER.
 

·
Devil's Advocate
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok Jroios. PM SENT.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top