SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey turbo peeps... What type of guages do you all have other than your boost guage(EGT, Oil pressure, A/F mix, Fuel Pressure, etc). What guages are absolutely necessary for a DET setup like Ben's? Also what brand/type of Pod do you recommend? TIA!

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I'm going to be using boost, oil temp and oil pressure. Reason, boost, to well, know boost. Oil pressure to make sure the engine and turbo are getting oil. Zero oil pressure would be bad! You bust a oil line or something to the turbo and loose oil pressure, you better pull over and shut off the motor! I'm using oil temp to make sure that the oil isn't too hot when I shut off the motor and cook the bearings in the turbo. Well, the turbo is what's heating the oil, but I figure if the oil is sufficently cool, the then turbo won't be THAT hot. Plus, it'll be another indicator of how hot the engine is running.
I would say another important gauge is the A/F gauge. If you're just running stock boost, I wouldn't worry about it. But, if you're boosting higher, you can make sure you don't run lean with the A/F gauge. I don't like having a ton of gauges cluttering things up, trying to stay a bit stealthy, so I'm skipping on the A/F.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Auto meter boost, Greddy Exaust Gas Temperature gauge. U can use Oil and Air fuel ratio too, but remember Your air ratio reading is only good for tuning in 1st and 2nd gear. Use an EGT gauge and a good one not an Auto meter, but a Greddy or an APexi EGT gauge to monitor exhaust temp making sure it stays below 900degs, anything above 900 starts to melt pistons. But those are the 4 gauges I would use, currently I use Auto meter boost, and a Greddy EGT, I monitor my Airfuel Ratio with what used to be My Apex AFC, But that was stolen

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a Lo-Tek gauge pod I'll take $30 for. This is the 2 gauge pod.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, all they make is the triple pod, I really only want a double pod though.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DannySE99:
I believe that Lo-Tek is sell the double gauge pod.</font>
Check out their site, it only has the triple pod listed. I emailed them and got no response.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I called and now they are going to be having the two gauge pod. If you really want that one then I believe you can do the order over the phone. I just ordered a 3 pod one for 60mm gauges like 30mins ago.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Alex, you've seen mine, right? That's the 3 pod piece with the 2 1/16" gauges. If you're going to get AutoMeter gauges, get the 2 1/16" piece.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
270 Posts
I believe that Lo-Tek is sell the double gauge pod. I have a question though, which gauge size is more common, the 60mm or the 2-1/4in one?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned using a Water Temp gage.

Here's the gages I plan on using:

Boost/digital EGT combo gage (Electric 80mm)
Oil Pres. 60mm
Oil Temp. 60mm
Water Temp. 60mm

I'd really like to find someone that makes a good Open Air Temp meter so I can know the outside temp.

I'd like to go with Omori gages as very high quality and they seem to be the closest looking to stock.

- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts