SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my SE-R. Today, when I took it out at lunch time to get something to eat, my radio suddenly shut off, and the car died on me as I pulled it off the side of the road and into a parking lot!
My battery light had been on for the last day, but I thought it was just a short somewhere because it would flicker on and off. I mean, I have an airbag light that malfunctions on my Eclipse, and it's only a year old. I guess I still should've paid a little more attention to the light, but I just wrote it off as another "electrical bug". Now that I think about it, though, the car has seemed a little sluggish in the last 2 weeks, especially with the air on. Sometimes I'd get serious hesitation when taking off in 1st while slipping the clutch.

Well, after a friendly gas station attendant named Fernando(a native Honduran
) was kind enough to give me a ride to my local Wal Mart, I put a new battery in. It seems to run fine now, but the battery light is still on.

I'm guessing it's most likely the alternator, but was wondering if you guys think it could be something else, like the ignitor coil? We tried to jump the old battery before we changed it, but it died 5 seconds after startup.

It's been one hell of a weekend. Somebody hit my dad's Lexus yesterday, so we have kind of a family car jinx going on right now.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
2000 Eclipse GT
AIM: GTS24v

[This message has been edited by GTS (edited 06-09-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW-- the car has 49,600 miles on it, and is a '95 model.

Thanks.

- M

·
Registered
34 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm guessing it's most likely the alternator,...</font>
As you said, I think the problem of your car may come from your alternator, since I have met such a similar malfunction on my dad's car. Did you also check if you could operate the other electric devices (i.e. headlamps, power windows...) as your engine died. If you couldn't use them by then, I think the alternator would be the main culprit.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
yup..alternator. Gonna do mine on Monday...the reason it died was from the battery not being charged by the alternator..and so once drained everything shuts down....replace the alternator..get the battery charged or get a jump. and it should be good again.

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's,SMC short shifter,Royal Purple synthetics..AND A VANILLA AIR FRESHENER!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. Yeah, just before it shut down, everything electrical went. My radio shut off, and so did the A/C.

I guess I'm replacing the alternator.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
2000 Eclipse GT

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GTS:
Thanks, guys. Yeah, just before it shut down, everything electrical went. My radio shut off, and so did the A/C.

I guess I'm replacing the alternator.

</font>
Don't just replace the alternator, first take it off then go down to the local Pep boys and have it tested,They do it for free. I had the same problem with my turbo Classic, so I thought I needed to change the alternator, well I instead took it to pep boys and they tested it, It was still good. I then thought it could be the starter, but that wouldn't cause my battery to drain dry, so it had to be the wiring, after taking a wire brush to all alternator and battery connections, it ran good as new. I did have to replace the dried up battery but other then that it runs like a champ. So the moral is get it tested for free, before you wind up spending money on something you may not have too.

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys- How long can I drive the car w/ a bad alternator? I plan on taking it down to the dealer possibly tomorrow, I just want to make sure it's not going to die on me again. I haven't driven it but about 10 miles on the new battery.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
2000 Eclipse GT

·
Registered
404 Posts
with the car running disconnect either one of the cables on the battery, if the car shuts off then it is your alternator if it stays on then it is something else; maybe a short or something electrical grounding out??

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
Soon to be NOS fed

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would say alternator. Mine did that when it went bad. also check your relays, make sure they are all clean and pluggeg in right.
but I would bet on the alternator.
do like Mike says, get it checked.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AT LEAST YOURS DIDNT FREEZE UP ON YOU AND TEAR YOUR BELT OFF!!
That really sucked!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts