SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a focuz (i know... cheapo) short shifter quite awhile ago but never got around to putting it in. From just looking at it though, the shifter seems to be physically the same size as the old one..ya know the row boat oar...My question is, is there a shifter out there that is actually short in throws and in appearance? Someone once told me that i could just cut my shifter shorter if i wanted? Does anyone know or reccomend this? seems kinda ghetto to me but if it works, what the hay....
thanks for any info...
Brendan

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
you could hack the shifter but that will in turn make you lose leverage making shifting seem slightly more difficult. I wouldn't recommend it. I did it on my last car. I bought the pacesetter short shifter(excellent piece in my opinion) which was very easy to install and sits about 1" shorter than the stock shifter b/c i have it on the shortest setting.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, AEBS Header, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The focus shifter sucks. I own it. The shop that put it in had to make there own bushings and bracket to make it fit. And now when i'm in fifth gear it rattles very loudly. It looks like the stock shifter, but the throws are a little shorter.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does the smc shifter look appearance wise? is it or the stillen one shorter than stock?? my buddy has a typeR so all of a sudden i have shifter envy..ah well...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i also have the smc shifter, and i highly recommend using that instead of cutting a aftermarket shifter. the smc is great cuz you can adjust the throw lengths. plus it is stronger than something you'd cut and weld back together

G

·
I bought an arospeed short-shifter & I thought the same thing. It looked exactly the same as the old one. Even after I finally got the old one off. Once I compared the distance from the ball to the bottom of the shifter you could see it was a bit shorter. I drove the car right after I got it on & I could notice quite a bit of difference between the two. I'm not sure if arospeed's are a cheap product but it works great so far. I just grabbed it off of ebay, I know there are some on ebay right now.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
vspec, the smc shifter is NOT polished or painted. it looks like...steel. i don't know about the stillen, i imagine since they make quality stuff, that it sits low just like the smc. the smc has the distict advantage of being adjustable. albeit, it would be a PITA to set at the shortest throw and then decide to adjust it...but the option is there!

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
smc is a good short shifter from what i've heard. The B&M is also a nice shifter.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

·
RE-F/ING-TIRED:)
1,318 Posts
i also have the pacesetter sts. since i prefer the "look" of a short shift lever, i hacked 2 inches off before installation. the ball is adjusted nearly all the way up for an extremely short throw. no regrets here. don't try this running 80w-90 dino tranny lube however :)

Ric
97 se-r w/stubby sts and mt90

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm not really concerned about the shifter (smc,or b&m) being polished or painted..im just wondering how tall it is..are either noticeably shorter in height compared to the stock one??? Also, where can i order the smc?
thanks.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'd call courtesy nissan and talk to brian randall. (800)527-1909. he owns a '98 200sx, so he knows his shiznit.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
what are you talking about? I don't know anything............. most of the stuff I say I am blowing out of my a$$

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
no wonder you took off your nitrous. who needs it with you blowing SO much out your rear.
BTW, thanks for your help today on the nx brake stuff. now i just need to talk my wife into letting me buy 'em!

-----------
stiletto

99 Sentra SEL platinum gold w/ HS headers and CAI, custom b-pipe, arospeed exhaust, magnecor 8.5mm wires, eibach pro-kit, courtesy nissan frt and rear STB, smc short shifter, greddy knob, jwt clutch, k&n crankcase breather, 17 deg. timing, clear corners and taillights and not a single stock bulb.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Call me crazy but I like a taller shifter. I have the SMC set for a pretty short throw and it's great.

G

·
I hacked my shifter, took a hacksaw and cut it right below the factory shifter knob. I have no problems shifting, I think it gives a more solid feel. Just my opinion. Fitted it with a nice MOMO shift knob and boot

·
Registered
723 Posts
im just speaking outta my ass here but hacking your shifting won't change the fulcrum point... the total throw distance will be a little shortened i guess but the angle's still the same and it'll probably feel the same, too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I think we are all getting a little confused here...What i originally meant by hacking the shifter was to get the overall height down, not the throws of the shift..I am perfectly content with the throws of the stock shifter and the feel in my opinion is great. But, i just think it looks funny..I swear i've seen suv's with shorter shifters than mine!Also, from what i've been hearing the smc,b&m, or the pacesetter all have similar heights as opposed to the stock shifter..is this true? If not does anyone have pictures of them?
Thanks again...
Brendan

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
oh, yeah, it's shorter. you could adjust the height to be equal to stock. but that also adjusts the throw length. i do have a pic but it's kinda blurry. i can email it to ya if you'd want.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I also cut my shifter with a hacksaw. I'll eventually buy a "real" short shifter but I didn't like feeling like I was shifting a Mack truck. My friend has a civic with a short throw shifter and he likes mine better. Like I said one day I'll fix it. But hey it works for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts