SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and only coming up with FWD stuff, I decided to start a new thread.

The boots on my S13 halfshaft have crapped out and the grease leaked all over the LCA. Who rebuilds these, and is there anyone trustworthy near Charlotte, NC? I thought about doing it myself per FSM instructions, but would prefer to do so under the guidance of someone who's done em before.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Shift_Munky said:
After searching and only coming up with FWD stuff, I decided to start a new thread.
The boots on my S13 halfshaft have crapped out and the grease leaked all over the LCA. Who rebuilds these, and is there anyone trustworthy near Charlotte, NC? I thought about doing it myself per FSM instructions, but would prefer to do so under the guidance of someone who's done em before.
Call Marty @ Raxles. He rebuilds FWD axles but if you send him your halfshafts I'd be willing to bet he can accomodate. Tell him I sent you.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Yea, I was going to say the same thing Jim did. Mardi knows who I am too, although its been a while since Ive called down there. Good luck getting them done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not sure if it would be worth it to you, but i have a pair lying in my shed from probably 2 years ago, im runnin j30 axles with my diff and have no use for them. You could have them for the cost of shipping...but thats where im not sure if it would be worth it, cause they are heavy mofos as you know..and the other catch is that im in VA right now and they are in PA haha. Just let me know

which one did u need, i remember seeing the pics on FA, but forget which is torn up.

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
240driver39 said:
Not sure if it would be worth it to you, but i have a pair lying in my shed from probably 2 years ago, im runnin j30 axles with my diff and have no use for them. You could have them for the cost of shipping...but thats where im not sure if it would be worth it, cause they are heavy mofos as you know..and the other catch is that im in VA right now and they are in PA haha. Just let me know
which one did u need, i remember seeing the pics on FA, but forget which is torn up.
I need the shorter (driver's side) one. If you happen to know how much it weighs, I might take you up on that to have a spare set.

As an update, I dropped them off at DriveShaftShop today and hope to pick them up Saturday sometime.

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Shoes59 said:
What exactly are they doing to them and how much are they charging you? Please keep me posted on the results as I may need to do the same.
1) Take them completely apart and checking the spiders, bearings, and housings for wear
2) Shot-peen, beadblast, and paint the rod
3) Beadblast and paint the housings
4) Reassemble with synthetic grease, higher-durometer rubber boots, and new boot clamps

He quoted $125 if the housings need to be replaced, and $100 if not. As long as no internal parts caused damage to the inside of the housings, I should be OK since they "look" good from the outside. I should point out that he may not necessarily replace the spiders, whereas Marty mentioned "heavy-duty replacement" as a standard practice. This might account for part of the price difference.

I should also mention that this isn't something DriveShaftShop normally does. They actually sold the rebuilding "departments" in March of 2004 to concentrate on developing and manufacturing high strength aftermarket shafts. My perception is that Frank (site foreman) made an exception in my case. It doesn't sound like it's in DSS's business plan to do them, but after speaking briefly with Frank and Lee (desk guy), they responded that it wouldn't be an issue as long as the volume was low.

240driver39 said:
alright, i can figure out how much they weigh if u still want to know. Or if u really want em, im at Virginia Tech, i can take em down and meet ya halfway sometime, charlotte is only 2 or so hours from tech
I can weigh each one this weekend to see for sure when I get them back from being rebuilt. If you can guess a package size (or I can based on axle dimensions, leaving enough room for packaging), I can calculate shipping and we can go from there. I might pay to ship one, but paying to ship two might be too overwhelming.

I have actually driven the VT a few times because my former employer had a plant that was 30 minutes down 460 from VT (in Narrows, VA), and I stayed in Blacksburg whenever I was up that way. If it would be easier for you, I could always have my friend (who lives near campus) meet you to pick them up. Then I could get them from him when I visited. I'm not in a hurry as I'm mainly trying to obtain a spare set...

-Andy

EDIT: Exact work done on the axles (#1-4 above) updated after my conversation with Lee, the desk guy.

·
8,886 Posts
Shift_Munky said:
I can weigh each one this weekend to see for sure when I get them back from being rebuilt. If you can guess a package size (or I can based on axle dimensions, leaving enough room for packaging), I can calculate shipping and we can go from there.

I use fedex all the time to ship struts. I can ship two front struts for about 15 most the time. People avoid FedEx because they think they are expensive but for the heavy and big stuff I find they work better.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Shift_Munky said:
1) I should point out that he may not necessarily replace the spiders, whereas Marty mentioned "heavy-duty replacement" as a standard practice. This might account for part of the price difference.
That's why Raxles is so good and the reason for the higher price. I'd want replacements even if the originals appeared to be in good condition.

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Shoes59 said:
That's why Raxles is so good and the reason for the higher price. I'd want replacements even if the originals appeared to be in good condition.
I'm almost as anal as you are Jim, but decided to give it a shot nonetheless. I might start whistling another tune if the spiders fail, but I doubt this is going to happen considering I've never heard of it before.

BTW, Marty's quoted $150 includes return shipping too. :) I might have Marty do my next set, to get a good comparison. But my current plan is to have them rebuilt by DSS until I decide the failure frequency is too high. Replacement might be a necessity at that juncture, but DSS is certainly capable of procuring and installing higher-grade replacement parts.

·
A.K.A. 2Fass240us
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I picked up the axles on my lunch break today, and they look great. $200 to rebuild the set, too! :biggthump

Before:

From top to bottom: 240SX* driver's side, 240SX* passenger's side, 180SX* passenger's side

After:

*Note - "240SX" refers to the chassis that I've been working on. "180SX" refers to parts from a 180SX subframe/rear end assembly that I swapped onto my car to eliminate HICASS.

-Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts