SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm having a bit of a problem here. I done this a million times, but it's never be so freakin difficult!! I'm taking off the driver side halfshaft on my buddy's '97, but that fµcker just doesn't wanna come off!!!! I tried using a sledge and a block of wood, a two jaw puller, and a FWD axle puller, but nothing!!! That POS is seized onto the hub! That's the only thing I have left to do before dropping out the tranny. Anyone have any suggestions??

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
wanna come off!!!! I tried using a sledge and a block of wood, a two jaw puller, and a FWD axle puller, but nothing!!!
</font>
Man, that sucks....Hmm....the only way ive ever seen it done is with a BFH(guess)!! I suggest bang harder
Don't let the HS scare you

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I tried everything and still nothing. I think what I'm gonna have to do is take the hub off the car with the axle still on there and take it to school with me and press the mother out. We have a 50 ton press at school that should pop that biatch right out

------------------
David

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
On my 98, only 3 years old, the halfshafts were rust frozen into the hubs. No amount of BFH would budge them. Had to invest in one of these:

I had a 2 foot breaker bar with a socket on that thing and still using 90% max force to turn that center punch to force that halfshaft out. Those holes around the perimeter get held on by the lugs btw. It was $40 I think from Carquest.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

[This message has been edited by Ben98SentraSE (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, used one of them too! Still couldn't get it off!! Well, maybe I'll try it again with that sucker now that I'm not tired and we'll see what happens.

------------------
David

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
Yup, used one of them too! Still couldn't get it off!! Well, maybe I'll try it again with that sucker now that I'm not tired and we'll see what happens.

</font>
HAHAHa....man if that doesnt work i dunno what will, ive seen that before, but at the autozone i have by me, they only have a slightly smaller version, i didnt think itd work to easily thats why i didnt suggest it!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Hey man I work for Volvo and some of their axles are frozen on the hub too. What I do is I get an air hammer with a punch attatchment put it in the dimple in the center of the shaft and go to town. Keep on putting pressure on it until it pushes its way through the hub. Just be careful not to let it slip and hit the threads on the shaft then you have a big problem. Hope this helps. Let me know if it does.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool bro, thanks! I'll try that when I get home. If it doesn't work, I think I'm just gonna take it all off as an assemble (the axle and the hub) and press that sucker out with a 50 ton press we have at school. Screw it

------------------
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts