SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was looking through Ebay(nothing much else to do when you're snowbound)and found a guy who was selling a "Zigen" 2 1/4" inlet muffler with a removable sliencer with it. The silencer was held in place by a set of four locking allen-head bolts. It supposedly cut down on the noise quite a bit. Has anyone heard one of these mufflers on any type of car? Is there anything to be gained by just having this muffler welded on istead of having a cat-back system, or will I lose some bottom-end torque?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
yes, I have heard a few diffrent cars with the apex n1 muffler w/ and w/o the silencer, and it does make a big diffrence in sound, but you will loose some power up top w/ it in.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
i have an arospeed tunable bomb on mine, and it comes with the silencer for free for like 170-80 bucks. i've looked at mufflers like those, they seldome come with the silencer, and i've been very impressed with my bomb. here's some pics with and without the silencer in it:

supposed to get like 5-9 horsepower with the silencer out. with it in it is VERY quiet, it really shuts the car up. and i'm serious on that. it's still loud enough to be heard, but you have to be pretty close. with it out, all hell breaks loose when you step on the gas (gotta love it!)

www.arospeed.com <--look at it

www.dynamicturbo.com <--buy it there for the cheapest

[edit], 170180 isn't quite right. i had to add a "-" in there.[/edit]

------------------
stand up for what you believe in, even if you stand alone....

[This message has been edited by Monsoon (edited 02-08-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, that's a pretty trick looking system!! Did you do anything to the stock exhaust(e.g. another resonator on the pipe)to make this set-up work right/ Did you lose anything like low- or top- end after this install(especially with the silencer in?) BTW, did you read my problem I am having in the "General" SR20DE column? Any help you could give would be great!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend has a civic with a B18 Integra engine in it and an Aerospeed Bomb. IMHO it is a great sounding system (wide open). I am going to get one soon now that I have seen how good it looks on a SER. Personally, I like the flare tip.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could not find them on that site you posted.

MarC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right after I posted that I found them in the Dynamic Turbo add in an old Super Street I have laying around. It says 189.00 for the one Monsoon has.

MarC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super Street, Eh??? I stsarted subscribing to that Mag right after it first came out, but cancelled my subscription when it turned into Honduh Illustrated. Too bad....It had some good articles now and again and the Ad's were always good. I'll have to check that out! Thanks Marc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a friend of mine has one on his accord but he went header back with 2.25" pipe and no cat or anything in between and it is so loud i can hear him pull into my neighborhood like 4 blocks away when im in my basement. But like i said no cat and 2.25" all the way. And his didn't come with a silencer. he gets pulled over for it about every week and some how never gets a ticket.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's why I figured I'd ask people's opinions about this particular exhaust, because I've never heard of a muffler with an integral(and removable)silencer. My brother's 200sx has 2.5" exhaust from the headers back with a Apex'i DTM muffler on it, and that thing is ridiculously loud! But then again, for him, he loves to "advertise"

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
chrimmy! i forgot! their stupid freaking showcase thing isn't ever up. it's 179.95 from dynamic turbo in my newest sport compact car magazine. there are a bunch of options you can get as far as the muffler's design goes....

http://www.arospeed.com/bomb.htm

there is a 4 inch round tip, a 4 inch angle cut, and a 4 inch flare cut (like round but the ends flare upward). i've also read about being able to get them in carbon fiber and carbon kevlar (i guess for the weight freaks out there).

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!

i found a site that advertises all the tunable bomb mufflers (some only 5 cents more):

http://www.speedandstyle.com/arospeed_mufflers2.htm

when i was talking with arospeed over the phone, they recommended that site over the others, must mean they get more money from them. anyways, the prices are good so i thought i'd let you know where you can find them. ohh, and there's pictures of all of them too!

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like those Carbon-Fiber mufflers, Monsoon, but why the f**k do they only have the direct bolt-on applications for Honduhs!!!! I'll have to find a shop to do the welding, which I would prefer not to do(especially since they DO make Bolt-on applications) Oh well.....Thanks for the info!!

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
on my car i just took all the piping off and did all new 2.25 inch crush bend piping from the catalytic converter back, no resonaters or anything. if you want to hear a sound file of my car with the muffler installed, go to the link below:

http://www.geocities.com/monsoonsite/vroom.wav

it's a .wav file, so it'll act like it's loading a webpage but timing out, let it, it's downloading the file. after a while a recorder will pop up (depends, it could be media player, realtime, or recorder, etc.) and all you have to do is press play.
btw, that's revving the car to around 5-6 grand.

rust wise so far mine hasn't rusted at all. i've had it since september, and i clean and wax it regularly and if you ignore it for a while (like a month or so) it'll develop some surface rust, but that windex's right off. just make sure they don't scratch it when they install the muffler, and make sure they peel off the tape!
it's really protected when it comes, it's in a box and has that styraphoam (sp?) stuff in it. mine wasn't damaged when i received it, but the box was, lol.

cockpit wise, the muffler (when the silencer is taken out) is pretty loud, extremely loud when you are going highways speeds in 5th gear. so, my suggestion is when you go on a long highway trip you should probably throw the silencer in. city driving it's not loud, just when you are at 3500rpm constantly is the only time it really bugs me.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your reply, Monsoon! I'm waiting for the page to download, but all I get is "This page is not available". As far as the muffler goes, does the mileage go down with the silencer in, and does it really give more power with the silencer out? I mean, does this muffler even have any packing(insulation) in it at all to quell the noise? I know it's straight through, but there has to be SOMETHING in it...

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
if that link doesn't work geocities is going to get a kick in the butt from me.

chris, bolt on's suck. they cost twice as much as they cost to have a local shop do the work for you. if you go mandrel bend, get 2.25 inch piping. if you go crush bend, get 2.5 inch piping (equivilliant of 2.25 inch mandrel bent). as far as power goes, i really didn't notice it. but i really didn't go around going all out when i got it, so i'm used to it now. they say you get like 5-9 horsepower out of it, so it'd be in that area somewhere.

as far as packing goes, it's like any other straight through muffler made for imports. it has fiberglass packing inside of it. i don't know how much it actually quiets it, but it's loud enough to be heard (just how i like it
).

as far as gas mileage goes, i've gotten 200 miles out of a tank since i bought the car, with the muffler and k&n drop in air-filter it hasn't changed any, so it really goes unchanged on my car.

AHH! now i know why the sound won't work! when i post it that way for some reason, forums don't like it.

http://www.geocities.com/monsoonsite/myser_sounds.html

just click the only download option there is available there, it's labeled something like my car's sound. it's noticable. that's the only way geocities and forums work for some reason, really dumb if you ask me, but ohh well.

ohh, and about the bolt-on's. the sentra se-r's stock exhaust system was not overly restrictive, so just tell them to go the stock way using the stock mounts, it was like 50-70 bucks for piping for me and i got a high quality job. the only mod they had to do was they had to put a 2.25 inch to 2.5 inch adapter for the muffler because the muffler's inlet is 2.5 inches.

btw, why is it so good to go 2.25? simple, by going 2.25 you gain the maximum power, but you also gain torque. going any bigger you really loose torque, but gain high-end power. it really depends.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dude....You only get 200 miles out of a TANK!?!? That's pretty bad gas mileage, especially for a 13 gallon tank. Anyway...I thought it was kinda weird that my Bro' put 2.5 inch exhaust on his 200sx. He claims he wants to go DET in the future, and wants the larger exhaust for quicker "spool up" on the DET(why not just get a larger downpipe?). Anyway, I'll try that link and let you know how it sounds. I'd like to do a cheap upgrade to the exhaust and this is definitely the cheapest way to go. Too bad I couldn't luck-out with stumbling over a "find" for aftermarket parts like I did with my old car. I went to a bone yard to get an MAF and the guy behind the counter is like "Oh, you have such-and-such a car...I've got one of those "Ghetto Exhausts" and some other parts you might want-I think they're junk, so you can have them cheap!" What were the parts, you ask? Try a full GReddy exhaust Cat-Back system, a PRM intake system and a brand-new(it must've had like 10,000 miles on it)Centerforce Gold Series clutch, pressure plate and lightened flywheel along with a B&M ripper shifter(This was for a 95 Probe GT, BTW) How much did he charge me? Try 150$ for everything!!! Christ...everything on the Probe I got it off of was brand-new! All I had to do was the wrenching of some of the stuff myself off the donor car. Well....I don't think THAT will ever happen again

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont like it either but for some reason I have one.

MarC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts