SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved a cheap short shifter I bought off of Ebay, but it doesn't come with any instructions, just the shifter. NAy thoughts on what I should look out for with the install? I'm asuming I should just reassemble it in the reverse order of how i disassembled the stock one, but I'm just curious as to how other Classic owners faired with their shifter(s)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****....Whatever happened to changing the shifter from inside the passenger compartment?? That sounds like a pain in the ass....I think I'm gonna wait until my clutch comes in, and I'll kill two birds with one stone
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Unless your exhaust bolts are rusted it's not really that hard of an install. Took me 30 minutes the first time.. Then about 2 weeks later I'm shifting into 3rd and it went all loose in my hand.. the 2 bolts holding the housing up fell off!! Luckily they fell on top of the heat shield so after I pushed the car 4 blocks home I fixed it in 10 min.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Whoa. That must have sucked. I've gotten beat just wheeling my car around in my garage.

The only casualty from my install was a snapped bolt on the heat shield - the only bolt I've ever snapped on my car (knock on wood). Fortunately, there are six or so holding the heat shield in place, so no big deal.

Chris, the install isn't that much of a pain. The SE-R shifter is arm-actuated, so there are no silly linkage cables to deal with.

One note: be careful when removing the trim piece in the interior that holds the shift boot. The two tabs that hold it in place are easily broken.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hell yeah it sucked! Worst part was that there were 3 speed bumps on the way. But I had a friend helping me so it was over pretty quickly

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! I might just give it a shot before the clutch. The shifter I bought I paid 35$+shipping and it seems like a pretty sturdy machined aluminum unit-I'll let you guys know how it feels after the install.........

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
Cool! I might just give it a shot before the clutch. The shifter I bought I paid 35$+shipping and it seems like a pretty sturdy machined aluminum unit-I'll let you guys know how it feels after the install.........</font>
Dammit i hope that wasnt you that outbid me on it!! LOL. Ive helped a listmember or 2 or 3 install theirs and it is not hard at all. Just gotta liek to crawl under cars

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm....What's your E-Bay name??? Maybe it was me. They do have some cool stuff from Time to time on there, and not ALL of it is ****....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts