SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there were any serious discussions (not fantasies) about converting an american car with a jap sr20de-t into an awd vehicle. Does anyone know where such info might exist? I have searched the mailing list archives and found only a small amount of info.
Just curious...I may try this in a few years.
-steve.

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
if i remember corectly, george roffe was talking about it maybee a yr ago on the list...sure its possible, the thing is noone is willing to dump the funds into such a project :mad: it would be awesome though. (dreaming) :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man i just read all the stuff you did on your white se-r...and saw all the pictures! That's a lot of work! You really have some devoted friends! Good work man, how does the car run now? Is it faster/more responsive with the new engine? Do you wish you'd have gone with an sr20de-t?
-steve.

·
Registered
521 Posts
if I remember correctly I talked with a freind about it and if you have a sentra xe you could literally cut he top/ cab of the car off, and mate it to a gtir bottom he swore up and down to me that the underpnings were the same, if this is true I don't know, but what the hell lets break out a cutting torch and find out

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea the prob is I have an NX2000...
I'm still serious about finding the information necessary to make it an awd beast.
The reason is...my wife has an Eclipse GSX and I love the awd.

·
Registered
521 Posts
if you really want to do it it would be a long project, but feesible you would most likely have to cut into your fire wall and floor board, I'll talk to my freind again, he used to work for nissan so he might have more insight, I'll reply later.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks man! would I use a 180SX driveshaft or something? Or I guess an AWD driveshaft from an AWD-japan car would be best...
so much to think about.
-steve.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I've always thought starting WITH a Bluebird- aka USDM Altima - for this project would make it much easier. Well, that's if you want a Bluebird AWD drivetrain.

For the GTi-R drivetrain, hmmm is the Sunny GTi-R a B13, B14, or P10 platform? Whichever, you'd probably want to start with that platform here- be much easier than engineering a drivetrain to go in a platform it was never intended for. Might as well drop a Subie 22B drivetrain in if you are going to swap platforms.

·
Turbo owns you!!!!!!!!
781 Posts
i am planning on doing the 4wd on my 92 SE-R in about 6 months to a year. I am putting in my GTi-R in about 2 weeks. I have everything off of the undercarriage of a GTi-R. I plan to use its tranny, driveshafts, and rear differential to do 4wd.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Need some webspace to host pics and a play by play of the install? :) I'll help out :)

Congrats on decided to do this! Keep us updated!!!

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
SE-R / GTi-R said:
i am planning on doing the 4wd on my 92 SE-R in about 6 months to a year. I am putting in my GTi-R in about 2 weeks. I have everything off of the undercarriage of a GTi-R. I plan to use its tranny, driveshafts, and rear differential to do 4wd.

Are you the one that got all that stuff off ebay for like 2K?? if so, thats a damn good buy!

·
Turbo owns you!!!!!!!!
781 Posts
ya thats was me. I got it for $2175. But the fuel rail was dented and an injector was broke. The front mount that came with it is huge but damaged and i dont know if it will be able to be fixed.

Is the S. FL meet still on for DEC 29

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Serban your car looks like a 96 Impala SS :D

·
1,168 Posts
jokergrin said:
man i just read all the stuff you did on your white se-r...and saw all the pictures! That's a lot of work! You really have some devoted friends! Good work man, how does the car run now? Is it faster/more responsive with the new engine? Do you wish you'd have gone with an sr20de-t?
-steve.
hey man, thanks..yeah it was a lot of work!! The car is a lot more responsive..it basically feels like a stock USDM on steroids, it has more umphh if a know what i mean, at first i was going to do the DET swap, but then when i looked into it, the shop that was going to do it gave me a figure of 5500, i was planning to send about 3500 or so..and i didn have time to work my ass of for another month cause i had to goto school... im still planning on a DET swap, ive been saving up so hopefully end of srping semester ill have it! :D

·
1,168 Posts
Ben98SentraSE said:
Serban your car looks like a 96 Impala SS :D
Ben, what are you lookin at :confused: ?? i see a 91/92classic with a 94bumper :D :D Impala SS?? NOWAY those are Fugly! lol hey BTW thats an american POS, DONT INSULT THE CLASSIC LIKE THAT :D :D

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Chris @ Sr20 Developement is working on making it work... basically, the b13/b14 does not have enough room in the bay.. and the tunnel and firewall would require too much modification to be a cost effective thing for a shop to do...
the Altima does have enough room though.. only problem is the GTIR tranny loses first and second gear @~12psi of boost..
well, not really.. but awd burnouts and 12 psi kinda make 1st and 2nd go away.. and try telling me that you would not *try* a awd burnout if you had a awd turbo sr powered car.
!!!

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
LMAO!!! an IMPALA!? :confused:

You can fit my car in the trunk of an Impala! I wish I had a 300hp V8 in there, now that would be somethin!

But I do not take this as an insult, the 94-96 Impalas are badass cars, I was with my buddy in his turbo G20, and he got whooped by an SS Impala at a light. Good thing I wasnt in my car, I would have really got whooped! :D

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
AWD B13? Sure. You just have to get it out of Japan.

The Pulsar GTi-R rides on a different platform from the B13 Sentra. For an AWD B13, look no further than the Sentra itself.

The '90-'93 JDM Nissan Sunny, which is outwardly identical to the '91-'94 four-door Sentra, was available with ATTESSA AWD. I've done a good deal of searching, and it looks like it was even available with a SR-series engine, the SR18DE. Since the SR-series are pretty much mix-and-max (Kojima has looked into both the N1 box and the '02 Primera 20V's six-speed for our FWD cars), it sounds perfectly do-able.

Take a look:

http://SERJimR.tripod.com/b13world.html

I have pics of the AWD Sunny, and you can even see the ATTESSA logos on the doors.

Don't spray your shorts just yet!

Don't forget that the Primera was also available in Japan with AWD. Cameron from the 'List had one or two of them, but he said they don't have nearly the same number of mods available as a FWD Primera. Packing the AWD bits on the underside of a car that's a natural front-driver means clearances get changed.

If you want an AWD B13 driveline, could you get it with a manual tranny? Would any of the normal SR20DE mods like headers or exhaust fit? Would it take any real power without breaking?

And more importantly, how many of your children are you going to have to sell to get it over here?

Those questions need to be answered.

·
Registered
521 Posts
waiting for my freind to write back damn this tread got busy, didn't they also so sell an awd sentra in mexico, I think maybe you could look into that also??

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An awd Tsuru?? Dang that'd be convenient! I'd just go fly down and spend a week in Cancun, then drive back in my TSURU AWD...
PERFECT!
Seriously, though...any truth to that rumor?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts