SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new head on my 91 NX2000 SR20DE engine. I've got the factory shop manual, and it says to torque each head bolt to 22 ft/lbs and then torque them to 43-47 ft/lbs.

Are they serious? 43-47 ft/lbs sounds really weak to me. I would have thought it would have been closer to 143 ft/lbs torque on each bolt. Will the engine make compression at only 43 ft/lbs?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If you're really looking at a FSM you need to read better. It tells you to tighten them, tighten them a little more, completely loosen them, tighten them back to a certain ft lbs and then turn them 90 deg from that point. I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head so I'm not going to just shoot out some numbers for you to use, but you need to take a better look at that book.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can read just fine. It's the Haynes manual that says go to 22 ftlbs, then 43 ftlbs then loosen off, then 22 ftlbs, then go 90 degrees, then go another 90 degrees.

The FSM says 22, then 43, then loosen off, then 22, then 50-55 degrees if I have an angle wrench OR 43-47 ft lbs.

The next instruction is to install the camshafts.

It does not say in the FSM anything about 90 degrees, just 22 and 43-47.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Not sure what FSM you are reading, but the 90 degree then 90 degree step is just after the final 25-33ft-lbs step.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Why does everyoen want to use a torque wrench for this procedure? There is a reason the FSM says that the preferred method is using a torque angle meter. It is MUCH more accuate than a torque wrench! Buy the $25 tool and do it right the first time!

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Why does everyoen want to use a torque wrench for this procedure? There is a reason the FSM says that the preferred method is using a torque angle meter. It is MUCH more accuate than a torque wrench! Buy the $25 tool and do it right the first time!

For all but the last steps, you have to use a torque wrench. I've always eyeballed the 90 deg part, but when I did a head gasket on a QR, you have to do 75 deg, which is harder to eye ball. I got an angle meter, and it is baller.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
For all but the last steps, you have to use a torque wrench. I've always eyeballed the 90 deg part, but when I did a head gasket on a QR, you have to do 75 deg, which is harder to eye ball. I got an angle meter, and it is baller.
I meant the final tightening...... The GA portion of the FSM shows an option of using a wrench. I have done both SR's and GA's and the TAM is the way to do it!

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The specs have been posted on here before, just a few weeks ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts