SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My situation is: My car overheats! I drive it fo rfive minutes and watch the temp guage rise to the extreme hot side. The coolant is full and I replaced the thermostat (correctly too!). When I shut off I can hear the reservoir boiling. I think it is the head gasket, but how do I make sure since that would be a hard and costly repair. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Is the water pump working correctly? is it leaking making noise or is the belt broke?

Chris

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MauiBlueGride said:
Is the water pump working correctly? is it leaking making noise or is the belt broke?

Chris
Hi,

Yes the water pump works correctly and it doesn't leak. The belt after I inspected shows that it is not broken either. Thanks for your help.

·
8,148 Posts
Is there a paper bag blocking the radiator? Look in front for obstructions. Are the fans coming on? Headgasket would blow white smoke out the tails.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
it would also explain that water noise.

In my B12 i had what I thought was a blown headgasket, but turned out to be a cracked block. Sometimes it would overheat and sometimes not. Therre was never very much heat coming from the vents. When I shut the car off I could hear gurgling, and the rad fluid was always brown. It kept filling the overflow too, I had to top up the coolant every day. No coolant in the oil, or white smoke.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it is a head gasket then you'll have water in your oil. Check the oil cap for white residue, and the tailpipe for white smoke. If not and the water pump is in working cond. and everything else is good then I agree on possibly internal block crack. Also take off your rad. cap and start it, wait a few minutes and see if it circulates corretly..... if your heater core is plugged it won't circulate and will overheat as soon as the thermostat opens

·
Registered
8 Posts
First and foremost: why do you drive the car if it overheats? That said..a couple questions, as said above...

do the fans come on?

is anything blocking the radiator?

open the radiator while cold and let heat to operating temp-is the water circulating or SITTING?

any abnormal color exhaust gases? (normal is black, a little bit of water DRIPPING from the pipe is also normal)

when you've got those figured out, take the next step..there's not much to a cooling system!

-B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts