SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cracked head on my DET and was wondering what you guys would rec. to replace with my new head??? I am installing new HKS Cams as well... I was thinking rocker arm stoppers and some Greddy Valve springs along with a new Metal head gasket?? Where would you rec. to go to get all this and what else should I be considering??

·
Registered
90 Posts
valve spring and retainers, cams, rocker arms and stopers, and guides. The SR valves are pretty strong, but if you have the extra cash I would go with new valves as well.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
mpg9999 said:
you shouldnt mix and match cams and valve springs.

Mixing and matching cams and valvesprings is fine. For example, you can use the Greddy Valvesprings with JWT cams,....there is no problem.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
the guy broke a valvespring running GReddy valvesprings and tomei cams. It's not been confirmed that the mix and match is what caused the breakage, but it's somethingto think about.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
NiceGuy said:
Mixing and matching cams and valvesprings is fine. For example, you can use the Greddy Valvesprings with JWT cams,....there is no problem.
Mixing and matching them is not find. Im not saying it wont work, but it is not a good idea. Go read some stuff from Mike in that new DE power thread to figure out why.

-Mike

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
NiceGuy said:
I see nothing wrong with using JWT valvesprings with HKS cams or vice versa.
he explains it in this thread: http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=64439
basically, the valve springs have to be tuned (or untuned depending on how you look at it) due to vibrations. jwt does this. no one else, accordint to what i understood from the thread, does. why mix and match though? whats the point? to put another 'sponsor' sticker on your fender?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
NiceGuy said:
. For example, you can use the Greddy Valvesprings with JWT cams,....there is no problem.
Something mike k said in that thread in response to running greddy springs on jwt cams:

"Better dtich the Greddy springs or you are going to have problems. Either that or run the Greddy cams. The springs have a good chance of coilbinding on C3's."

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
NiceGuy said:
I think I read somewhere, JWT valvesprings can be used with any cam....
but you didnt say that. you said greddy. and i would not put anything cam related in "my" se-r other than jwt.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
there is nothing wrong with using different cams and valve springs. what i would do is replace the stock valves with ones from a det (sodium filled), new valve seals, a set of cams and valve springs, ra stoppers. and if you have some cash left over i would do some porting or retainers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after removing the head tonight I noticed that the cyl. walls were rusty and scarred slightly almost signs of cracking... so I am thinking about replacing the whole long block where can I find one for cheap????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts