SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be putting in my new header next week. (Yay!) And I was wondering if anyone had any input other than the notes on SE-R.net. I'm going to order the two new gaskets and get a new O2 sensor. How many header studs should I order? Should I order new nuts (heh heh... nuts) too? Anything else I should look out for? I just had my cat off, so that should be easy.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I ordered new studs, nuts and yokes(washers) from Brian at courtesy, COURTESY NISSAN. I ended up returning the studs for some tune-up items because mine were in great condition. DEFINITELY get the yokes and nuts though. For 2 or 3 nights prior to removing your old header, when you are in for the night, spray some liquid wrench, WD40, or something similar on the header nuts and studs to let it soak over night for 3 nights. This should let you remove them without fear of snapping a stud, worked great for me. You may see a little smoke in the morning, its just the excess burning off, if there is any. Hope this helps! :D

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I second what ProjectSE-R said - I ordered the same parts from Brian at Courtesy. He's a cool dude, races an SE-R and hooks all of us up.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sup Stine.

I did mine last weekend, If your car has a A.I.V. (Air Induction Valve) system. You might need a 25mm wrench. I could not get mine to break loose. (I used vice grips) Its still not on the car!
Don't forget the gasket from the mid-pipe to your cat. Hotshot does not give you that one. On my car there are 8 studs & nuts. Be sure to tighten your header up from the inside working outward.

I agree Brian is cool one.
:cool:

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I used anti-seize on the studs..... I've taken off my manifold like 4 times now and it's never a problem.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
Matt,

Just a couple of each should be plenty as a precaution. My car is the same year as yours with less miles and I had no broken bolts or studs when I did mine last spring. Give me a jingle next week when you plan to do the install maybe I can help.

·
Registered
513 Posts
After my experiences this past weekend. I have a few words of advice:

1.) Do not start putting your header on at 2:30pm. The sun goes down quick these days....

2.)Have an Oxy-Acetylene torch handy from the get go. Even if it's a cheap one. The value of this item is enormous.

3.)Don't overtorque your headbolts........:(

4.)Go with a ton of liquid wrench on every bolt possible. Even if you're not sure you will need to take it off. You never know.....

5.)Don't put a clogged cat in place of your old one....;)

That's what I learned from this past weekend. Also, a good point is, if the bolt doesn't seem like it's gonna come loose. Be carefull, use the torch, or some type of attitude adjusting bar. But don't go nuts, you don't want to strip em. This can be a pain if you're underinformed, but not bad if you have a good idea of all aspects. Good luck man.

Kevin Wnek
93 Pratt and Whitney Classic
advanced timing, stillen pop and header, shittedand removed exhaust..........to be continued....

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
spdracerUT said:
I used anti-seize on the studs..... I've taken off my manifold like 4 times now and it's never a problem.
I DID THAT TOO, and I looked like a circus BI-Plane as I left a smoke trail thru the highway!!! All that seize stuff just started burning off like you wouldnt believe!!!!

GOOD-LUCK!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
you guys are so nice... tear :D
Would you prefer we say that you suck and that you dont your arse from a hole in the ground? :D

Just kidding, dont worry if you had told us something wrong or tried to charge us $8 a piece for the header nuts, you would surely hear about it! :D

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone.

Thanks guys. I'll definately go and hit the car with some PB Blaster all weekend. I guess I'll be ordering 4 extra studs just in case. All new nuts and washers, too. Is it possible to hit the header bolts with an impact wrench? That would make me a lot more comfortable. Things have a tendancy to go really wrong when I work on my car.

Example: It took me the better part of a hour to get my wheel off fixing my clutch withdrawal lever.

Wish me luck.

Sean- That's way too far for you to drive, espically during the week, but thanks anyway.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Soak every bolt well before. I think this has been covered already. I read in a Miata magazine where the guy sprayed Muratic acid on all the bolts and pretty much ate all the rust off everything, and then soaked the sh!t out of it with WD40. I tried it and it worked pretty well. You can get this stuff at the hardware store. Don't get it in your eyes!

The cat-bolts are a major pain. Be prepared to replace them.

Anti-sieze the hell out of everything you put back on.

After you install the header and before you crank it up, wipe all the primaries with rubbing alcohol to remove your fingerprints. Otherwise you'll have nice dark permenent fingerprints on it after it heats up.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
i read about a supposed trick to get out a stuck 02.. run the car to get the engine real hot then put a fan on the motor to cool it real fast. then crank on the 02 with that special socket..

besides liquid wrench

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
You won't be able to get an impact wrench on your header bolts. Too tight in there.

Here's my tip: Get a BFH: Big F***ing Hammer. Use it.

[/end of tip]

-GP-

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You won't be able to get an impact wrench on your header bolts. Too tight in there.
I get it... Ghetto Fab homeade impact wrench. My header should be in today, gaskets Wednesday, I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyone have trouble installing the EGR valve pipe back to a NEW Stillen Header? it seems like the threads are crossed nomatter what angle or how many times we try to thread them.

thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts