SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating for some time whether or not to install headers on my '92 SE-R for several resons, one being the installation itself and more importantly what happens when I go to get the car inspected. To this day I don't if headers are legal as far as inspections go. Can anyone give me some advice about this matter???

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
if you are still on, are you in DE or NC I think that you should pass an inspection if you still have all of your smog stuff still hooked up, I know mine will pass a Dallas County inspection, and that is one of the hardest to pass in the country (what sucks is I have to tuck away all of my NOS stuff) the install is not hard at all if there is little rust or wd40 is not a hard item to find, some people say it can take them up to 8 hrs to do it in, I did mine in 2.5 hrs taking breaks. really, really, really straight forward, the only hard part on the install is hooking in the egr (and not breaking studs.)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, it also depends on the header you intend to use. If you use any header other than the AEBS, not much longer than Brian said - maybe 3-4 hrs at most. However, if you install the AEBS, it WILL take longer. It is a one-piece header, whereas the others are two-piece. *IF* you can twist the merge collector and primaries down and around the engine/radiator, the AEBS won't take long at all. But we were not able to, so we had to drop the front crossmember, support the engine, pull the radiator fans(should anyway), etc, etc. Took about 7 hours as we stumbled into each speedbump. If we had known what to expect, probably only 4-5 hours. But it was worth every minute. >:)

As for inspections, I passed Atlanta's (emmisions only - no true visual). And my header does not have the EGR port - it was an early "race-only" model(EGR standard now). I placed a plug over the EGR tube to prevent lean-run conditions and passed with flying colors. Could be because a 98' model? Dunno....

Definitely a good "across-the-powerband" upgrade.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brian and Chris, I'm in Delaware and the DMV does have a test that is done under the hood (I think they're looking for emission leaks and they hook "something" up to check for it) and so that's why I'm so concerned. If they SEE the headers, what would they do? BTW, I'm thinking of installing the Hot Shot header, but the very idea of breaking off a bolt terrifies me. So as you can see I'm very frustrated about the whole thing. I definitely want the power but don't want DMV coming down on me...AGAIN!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, that is the best thing to do is ask before you do anything to your car if not sure, or just get real good at doing a header job once a year, the bolts are pretty easy to break, but if you take your time, use plenty of penetrating oil (wd40, ect.) you will not have a problem. just take your time with em (or just get some from your dealership before you start, I think we sell em' for like $1 a piece (maybe less?)

·
Registered
254 Posts
You're welcome.

I suggest you go to a state-certified testing facility and ask them to thoroughly explain their procedure - ask to see one in progress if possible. If they won't comply, there should be a number in the "help" section of your local Yellow Pages for emmisions testing info. You have a right to know what the government is up to - use it. Hope they're not emmisions Nazi's, but you never know.

I actually helped the mechanic perform my test here in Atlanta. :)

PS - No problem with the studs except clearing the A/C stuff. Everything fits, just closely.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
what are these bolts called (so I dont get a dumb look from the parts guy)? I ordered a chain tensioner and he said 'which one?' He was looking at the chain guides on the screen (dumb ass). But the Nissan parts are cheap from this ford dealership.
Or do you have a part number so I can pick some up just in case?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK... I can't take the crap that I'm going through with the DMV. They say the Stillen exhaust I have is legal...HOWEVER I can't get the car inspected while it's on my car because of the size of the tailpipe. Is it just me or is our government loosing their frickin minds? As I stated before, I'm very hesitant about any mods to my car. Seems that the government is just waiting for someone like me to slip up so that they can take full advantage of the situation and fine the HELL out of me. On top of all this, I've been profiled by the police because my car is lowered, has a big exhaust pipe and the windows are tinted. Something's got to give!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
You think you have it bad? Try getting that car to pass Cali emissions! Fail, and you can't register. Get caught w/out registration, and your car gets impounded for a minimum of two weeks! And after you get it out of impound(which requires a hefty fee) you have to get inspected by a DMV referee!

·
Registered
254 Posts
3 Options:
1) Replace said exhaust with OE model for testing.
2) Call State Number for emmissions testing and request a copy of the law - it's your right.
3) Ask the inspector to SHOW you the passage in the law that states maximum exhaust pipe diameter. If yours is too big, how do they ever test American, Full-size trucks? Especially those with the 5" exhaust cannon tips? Or Toyota Supras? The new Eclipse? Etc, etc....

The original intent of the law is to protect individual rights, not remove them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Subculture, Good point! I should count my blessings and quit whining. A DMV referee??? YIKES!!!

Chris, I like your style! Although actually talking to someone at DMV isn't quite so easy. Right now I'm looking for a stock and I think I've found one. I will definitely ask those questions when I go through inspection (something I am dreading).

Thanks you guys!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Excellent! If you're gonna enforce the law, you'd better know what the law is. Duh. Ignorant law enforcers suck

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
"Ignorant law enforcers suck"
I'll second that!
Reminds me of when I got my first "Modified Exhaust" citation. I haggled with the officer for 30 minutes before he finaly admitted that he didn't know the legal limits for exhaust noise in Cali!
And to add insult to injury, he had the nerve to ask me what year was my Pasaoe!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Chris, I did like u said and went down the DMV and demanded my copy of the emission and inspection laws, actually I went right into the inspection lanes and tied up the lines until they found it. Anyway I got the information and also found out that if I install a header correctly and it doesn't screw up the emissions they won't have any problem with it. Thanks for the great advice!

OH YEAH, my car passed!

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Here in Cali, it is up to the police officer to decide whether to give you a ticket or not even though he does not have the decibel level testing equipment on your exhaust. This is the irony, Cali cops can give you a ticket based on what they think is loud noise. They do not have the equipment to test your exhaust on the spot. The law says that exhausts should not be louder than 95 db. But the cops have no way of testing this objectively. So they assume that the larger the tip the louder the exhaust and give the ticket based on that subjective premise.

That is why you should get a custom exhaust with a glass pack and a 3-3.5 inch tip. This will avoid most fix-it tickets. At least I am hoping it does.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Naji, it has been my observation that the REAL reason police often give "modified exhaust" citations are to harrass. Plain and simple. Most police officers don't even know what the legal limits are. And they don't care. They figure that most judges will back them on it, so why not?
Sucks I know but I guess it's the price we'll have to pay untill the ricers grow up and stop doing stupid sh*t that makes the rest of the SCC crowd look bad.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't miss that cowboy attitude police in North America have... that's for sure...

Here in Japan, the law prohibits certain exhausts (usually based on emissions, I think) and any drops where the bottom of the car has less than 10cm (4 inches) to the pavement from the bottom of the car, BUT the good part is that they only check these things when you are getting your car inspected every two years at the "sha-ken" safety inspection. I was behind a dropped Toyota wagon, windows pitch black, huge booming exhaust, tail lights blacked out, and there was a cop driving right next to him, not even batting an eye. If you get caught speeding, it might be a problem, but in normal conditions, they could care less. Pretty much typical of Japanese law enforcement... strict laws, but nobody bothers to uphold them.

That's why it's 8:22 pm, and I'm still at work, even though I don't HAVE to work overtime if "I don't want to"... ugh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WELL...after all that trouble I went through with the DMV, a cop pulled me over a week later and guess what...my insurance had lapsed for 2 days. I went to court got fined $1800 and my license suspended for 6 months. If I ever drive my SE-R again it'll be a frickin miracle!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your exactly right Chris and no latitude at all, even though it was my first offense. The damn post office didn't postmark the payment until the next day, which was too late. So actually it's my fault for waiting until the last damn minute. The cop pulled me over for a rolling stop. But he went with the expired insurance card instead...I wonder why!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts