SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Wouldn't this be ideal? You wouldn't have to worry about exhaust gases from other cylinders hitting each other and stuff. Overall space under the car might be difficult to manage in a 2 by 2 pipe formation, but if you made like 4 1" or so pipes you could put them in a 4 by 1 pattern along the bottom of the car similar to the brake fluid/fuel lines and make up for that a bit. Would probably make for a pricey aftermarket mail order type exhaust, but if you had a welder and welding skill and pipe and an extra header laying around to hack up, would this be an ideal exhaust?

</font>
I just think it's more trouble than its worth. But I also remember reading the collector has something to do with making power, I can't remember.

·
Registered
98 Posts
that is correct (about the collector)

what happens is that as one cylinder's exhaust gasses flow into the collector.. it generates a vacuum in the other primaries that "pulls" the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder that fires next

------------------
Shawn
-----
current car(s):
1989 Acura Integra LS
1997 200SX SE-R
1973 Super Beetle

Next car:
AE86 Corolla GT-S or
S14 Nissan 240SX (16V DOHC, not 12V SOHC)

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
That is exactly how headers work. Typically with our cars 4-2-1 they will pair the appropriate primaries so that when they firem the exhaust gas pulses create what's know as a scavenging effect, where they actually help to pull the expelled gasses from the motor. Actually HS got it wrong on their first Gen. GA16 header, when they paired the incorrect primaries. Sure it was better than stock, but the gen. 2 header made more HP and TQ when they corrected the problem.

Thought I'd share some info. from the other side of the tracks.

late,
wes

·
Registered
71 Posts
but havent you guys seen like old hot rods that dont have collectors? and you can actually see the the exhaust gases from each chamber shoot out.

whats the deal with that then?

markp
AIM:mapball20

·
Registered
484 Posts
maybe more top end? I thought that I herd that the more free flowing the exhaust the less torque, but I could be wrong. I know mike kojima did a nice exhaust piece in SCC this month..

·
Registered
98 Posts
free-flowing exhaust doesnt decrease torque

it decreases _low_end_ torque.. it favors top end

and favoring top end means a bigger HP increase.. top end torque also allows you to take better advantage of lower gears (hence, higher gear ratios, for more acceleration)

------------------
Shawn
-----
current car(s):

Next car:
AE86 Corolla GT-S or
S14 Nissan 240SX (16V DOHC, not 12V SOHC)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Wouldn't this be ideal? You wouldn't have to worry about exhaust gases from other cylinders hitting each other and stuff. Overall space under the car might be difficult to manage in a 2 by 2 pipe formation, but if you made like 4 1" or so pipes you could put them in a 4 by 1 pattern along the bottom of the car similar to the brake fluid/fuel lines and make up for that a bit. Would probably make for a pricey aftermarket mail order type exhaust, but if you had a welder and welding skill and pipe and an extra header laying around to hack up, would this be an ideal exhaust?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE stock, slow, and for sale
93 NX2000 Quaife ATB diff, JWT clutch, SMC short shifter, front STB, front ES control arm bushings, JWT POP charger, B14 SE-R wheels as soon as I get my tire swappin' done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts