SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Groove Master
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all...

I am researching headers, hoping that I will get a job soon (I am a teacher by trade and the administration at the school I worked for last year were a bunch of ****ing idiots and that's not even half of it so I left...rant off)and be able to pay for them. I need to know:

What is the real deal with Pacesetter? I have read all there is to read on Ser.net and I would love to have Hotshot headers but I cannot argue with the price of the Pacesetter unit. Lots of people say that Pacesetter is crap but others have been happy with their stuff, and they are obviously still in business.

What I want to know is this: what is YOUR PERSONAL experience with the Pacesetter header (or cat-back; I need that someday too)? Was the power gain happy, and where in the RPM band was it? Did you feel like you lost power anywhere? Most importantly, what was the durability like? Did it rust? Did it have a sufficient setup to prevent damage from engine vibration (flexpipe or other)? Any other concerns?

Also, does anybody know about Kombat exhaust stuff? I keep running across it on eBay.

TIN

------------------
SR20DE - Tiny but Mighty
The worst thing in the world is a stupid person with ambition.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Later Pacesetters are a direct copy of the first generation Hotshots. Like an *exact* copy, like they stole the jigs or something.

I drove a friend's NX2000 with an older Pacesetter (in '96), and the coating was nasty, it all burned off within a week of ownership. There was also a whistle like a boiling teakettle under acceleration.

However, it made the car significantly faster. My car was stock them (it was a loooong time ago...) and he beat me by several carlengths, as soon as he hit second gear.

So, in short:

cheap, good performance gains

bad quality control

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Get the Hotshot.

The number one rule to go by in the bolt-on world is this:

GET THE BETTER PRODUCT FROM THE START

</font>
I'll agree with the second part. But, I would buy the AEBS.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, and Pretty looking pedals and shift knob

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Stine;

I have a Pacesetter on my '93, and so far, it's not too bad. I don't care whether it's ceramic coated or whatever, as long as it works. And, the Pacesetter does work, for not a lot of moolah.
My '93 is an internet-used-parts-special, and I can't argue with where it's at right now (8.95 in 1/8 mile, which will get me into the 13s in the 1/4).
The Pacesetter header does make a whistling noise, but nothing major. A $300 header (AEBS, HotShot, etc.) would have been nice, but I can't argue with the performance boost I got from my Pacesetter, which cost a whopping $100 used on ser.net.
Thing to look out for: The gasket between the primary and secondary isn't all that great. I bought some high-temp Mr. Gasket steel-lined material, and made my own. It has to take 1200 degrees, whatever material you use.
Other than that, you get a nice boost for not a lot of dough.
Just my .02 after taxes...

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

G

·
0 Posts
Like MOST things in this world, "you get what you pay for". The ceramic coating should be a major concern. As everyone knows that the ceramic is almost impervious to most outside conditions, and also insulates the tubes, speeding velocity of exhaust flow, thus improving performance over those that are not coated. I would go with Hotshot if you want good performance and would want to install a front lower tie bar in the future. The Hotshot is also easier to install than the AEBS because it is a TWO piece. I would get the AEBS if you want ultimate street performance. No lower control bar with the AEBS because it is a 4-1 piece with the primaries hanging below the support brace. The AEBS also has ground clearance issues because of it's design. It is however the best for street and also the best when mated with N20. The AEBS is a ONE piece, so install requires a lift to do with ease. They're priced within $25 of each other. Either way, you won't be disappointed. BTW, the coating won't come off either one. What's the saying? "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?!"

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Sorry niska. The Hotshot is a great header and all BUT my ceramic coating is flaking off. I got it in October of '00 and it started rusting in January. The flex-pipe is almost bare now. The primary is decent but has some spotted rust.

------------------
Stormy
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

G

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Storm. I've had my orig. HotShot on my (wife's now) '91 G20 since May of '97 with zero rust or flake. I've had my gen. 4 on my '96 for a little bit, so only time tells on that one. Haven't heard much about the HotShot flakin' off, I'm sure my old one isn't any different than anyone elses?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Storm, sounds like you got a bad header. Doesn't Hotshot have a 1 yr warranty or something? If so, I'm sure they'll replace it for you. I've had mine on for 4 months now and no hint of flaking anywhere.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

1 - 12 of 12 Posts