SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about getting headers for my 91 classic. Ive narrowed it down to the Hotshot and the JWT. Does anyone have any advice as far as which one is better? What about high end and low end power? One more question. Anyone know a good place to get cheap performance parts?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just to check with you guys, The header goes all the way to the Cat right??

I have a new hole in the short pipe between the flexpipe and the Cat.

Figure its a good reason to finally get a header, no??

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Yes, it goes all the way to the cat...here is a pic of a Gen 4

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,GReddy Catback, ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's,SMC short shifter,Royal Purple synthetics..AND A VANILLA AIR FRESHENER!

·
Registered
194 Posts
humm....whats the diff b/t a flex joint and a flex pipe?..anyways, what is the internal diameter of the piping before the cat?...to me it looks kinda small...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Woo Who!!!

Thanks Brad, sweet pix! Going to pick mine up Saturday!

Now I got to figure out how to get it in.

Anyone with juckstands want to be bribed with slow smoked meat and cold beer to hang out and try to break the bolts on the stock header?

Wrench fest anyone????

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERboy:
humm....whats the diff b/t a flex joint and a flex pipe?..anyways, what is the internal diameter of the piping before the cat?...to me it looks kinda small...</font>
Flex pipe is what you see in that photo. Flex joint is like two pipes joined together by 2 bolts/nuts but are still able to "flex". I know... Terrible description, but flex joints are what you DO NOT want. More prone to leaking, from what I've been told.

The diameter of the piping to the cat is around 2". Yeah, it is small, but some testing done by Mike Kojima has shown that going to a bigger pipe will lose power. IIRC, the Hotshot Gen1 headers had a 2.25" pipe going to the cat, but they changed that for the Gen2 and so on...

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R (HS Gen3, but not for long)
1993 NX2000 (stock, but inheriting HS Gen3)

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Believe it or not, I run the (some have described as) crappy Pacesetter header on my nitrous'd-up '93. And, I like it.

So there.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
that looks JUST like my HS Header, and I've had mine since '96 (what is that, gen 2?) and it has not changed a bit... no rust or anything, but the welds are looking peaked. BEST damned upgrade next to the cams!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
thats what i was just wondering about the AEBS, but i dont really like the fact that it hangs down lower than the crossmember, i know im going to get that all scratched up...what about the stillen unit, whats its diameter before the cat?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts