SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few months Im planning on getting some headers for my classic. Lately ive read alot about wierd noises coming from the hotshot headers. I also read that someone (maybe AEBS) might be comeing out with some new headers for the SR20DE. I plan to buy these in early Dec. Anyone have any suggestions on what headers I should buy? How difficult is it to install? Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
DEFINITELY do NOT buy Hotshot. One defective manifold, one leaking flex pipe weld, both flex pipes I've used make a horrible buzzing/hissing sound. Absolute garbage.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mpg9999:
In a few months Im planning on getting some headers for my classic. Lately ive read alot about wierd noises coming from the hotshot headers. I also read that someone (maybe AEBS) might be comeing out with some new headers for the SR20DE. I plan to buy these in early Dec. Anyone have any suggestions on what headers I should buy? How difficult is it to install? Thanks</font>

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)

Current Modifications:
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires
Nis-Knacks Clear Side Markers

Future Modifications:
Jim Wolf Technology ECU

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">DEFINITELY do NOT buy Hotshot. One defective manifold, one leaking flex pipe weld,
both flex pipes I've used make a horrible buzzing/hissing sound. Absolute garbage.</font>
In stark contrast, I have had no problems whatsoever with my Gen IV Hotshots purchased earlier this year. I did have to slightly enlarge a stud hole, but other than that it was a flawless fit. The connection at the downpipe has a tendency to loosen up and leak a bit. I suspect this is common among 2 piece systems.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris93SER:
DEFINITELY do NOT buy Hotshot. One defective manifold, one leaking flex pipe weld, both flex pipes I've used make a horrible buzzing/hissing sound. Absolute garbage.

</font>
I would rather buy 10 defective Hotshot headers than give $teallen one thin dime.

------------------
'93 SE-R, for sale soon, Hotshot header -- 4 years old
'91 SE-R, future racecar
'00 Lightning, future SE-R puller

[This message has been edited by slowSER (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Stillen sucks ass. Just wanted to say that. I have a hotshot that will be up for sale soon. It it the gen. 4, i bougth it earlier this summer. I have had to relpace the secondary due to the flex pipe but they were very helpful and even paid shipping. Russ Knezic

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm sure some people have had success with Hotshot's header, however, I have had nothing but problems. I suspect that their quality has gone to **** as of late, as others have reported similar problems. Hotshot has been helpful in providing me with replacement parts, however, those replacements have not corrected the buzzing/hissing sound. Also I have not been credited a penny for numerous shipping charges, as I have requested many times. I can not say if STILLEN makes a better product, since I have not had any experience with their header, which happens to be slightly less expensive then Hotshot's. What I do know is, I am very satisfied with the quality of their (STILLEN's) intake and exhaust. I should have just gotten an ECU and left the stock header in. Oh well.

------------------

Current Modifications:
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
Hotshot Racing Header

Future Modifications:
Jim Wolf Technology ECU

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm sure some people have had success with Hotshot's header, however, I have had nothing but problems. I suspect that their quality has gone to **** as of late, as others have reported similar problems.
]</font>
Actually, it is the other way around. Newer generation headers don't crack anymore. Now, the flange is made by computerized machine cut. Perfect fit. Think about it though, would you rather buy a product that has ONLY one generation (hint: $tillin) or a product that has been upgraded and improved 3 times already?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Also I have not been credited a penny for numerous shipping charges, as I have requested many times. </font>
Agreed! Hotshot customer service is just on par in the aftermarket world.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I can not say if STILLEN makes a better product, since I have not had any experience with their header, which happens to be slightly less expensive then Hotshot's.
</font>
I would like to add that Stillen's tubing are much smaller than Hotshot's, and hence more strictive. On the other hand, the welding is nicer than Hotshot. I'd rather have the performance that Hotshot can offer though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
What I do know is, I am very satisfied with the quality of their (STILLEN's) intake and exhaust.
I am not trying to argue here. YMMV. But IMHO, Stillen exhaust is of low quality. I have seen two local owners that weren't satisfied at all. They get rusty easily on the inside. Blatty sound, very ricey. Loud. One guy actually got pulled over by a cop a few times here in People's Republic of Los Angeles.

Booniewillow

92 NX2000
Hotshot CAI, G3 Headers, JWT S3 cams, Ray's Engineering Nismo rims, GC coilovers/AGX KYBs, ST bushing fullset, SMC SS, SMC brakelines.

·
Registered
415 Posts
STILLEN has had two generations of headers. Their first generation was a 4-2-1 design, and their second generation is a 4-1 design. In terms of the exhaust quality, I've had mine on for two years in New Jersey (snow, ice, salt, etc.) and there is very minimal rusting (It's not stainless steel, except for the tip, and it was $210.00). I have no doubt that it will last for at least another 2 years. In terms of the exhaust note, some people are going to like it, some aren't. It's a personal opinion. In my experience, I have gotten nothing but compliments on the way my exhaust sounds. It's very deep and silences out around 5000 RPM (right as the intake growl takes over). It does drone at highway speeds though, but I don't mind that at all. I have never heard anyone say it sounds ricey. The statement I get the most is, "Those Civics sound like ****. Your exhaust sounds so deep." I do wish it was a cat-back system though. The first mod I did was my exhaust, way back when I didn't know what cat-back even meant, lol.

------------------

Current Modifications:
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
Hotshot Racing Header

Future Modifications:
Jim Wolf Technology ECU

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
just buy 3 pacesetters and you'll be fine!!
$135 each. *cha-ching*

·
Registered
765 Posts
hell yeah i ordered pacesetter for 148 shipped, it better arrive tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
PACESETTER FOREVER!!!

had it for a year and a half, looks like crap, but give you the power, for fraction of the price of HS or Stillen.

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
------------------
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
Registered
140 Posts
In terms of the exhaust quality, I've had mine on for two years in New Jersey (snow, ice, salt, etc.) and there is very minimal rusting (It's not stainless steel, except for the tip, and it was $210.00). I have no doubt that it will last for at least another 2 years. </font>
It's funny that we are just discussing about this in SOCAL SERCA Egroup, and Rob Cadle said "Mine rusted to pieces after one Michigan winter and 8 months of Southern
California. That means it will probably last at least 1.5 years, maybe even
2 in So-Cal."
So..Chris, be careful. Applying paint on the muffler helps a bit too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">In terms of the exhaust note, some people are going to like it, some aren't. It's a personal opinion....<snip>..The statement I get the most is, "Those Civics sound like ****. Your exhaust sounds so deep."...<snip>....
Chris, I respect your opinion. On the other hand, there are at least three (that I know personally) around here that couldn't resist the sound of Stillen exhaust. One has gone back to stocker, one has switched to an HKS catback system. Nuff said.

It's nice to have a forum like this to share opinions, and let other voices be heard.

Boonie

G

·
0 Posts
just got my car back from the mechanic----pace-setter headers, cat back and a generic high flow cat. I am VERY pleased with all these pieces and the mechanic said everything bolted on just perfectly. And are you guys ready for the kicker? 150 header, 150 cat back, 100 cat--for the price of a good quality header, I got a COMPLETE exhaust system from manifold to 4" exhaust tip! It feels a bit quicker than the stock set up at higher rpms on the ass dyno---about the same 3-5 as my pop charger gave. I love the exhaust tone though---sounds great.

·
Registered
415 Posts
$210.00 (price has since gone up) was for my exhaust from STILLEN. They currently want $460.85 for a header.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:
Im gonna be trying out the pacesetter headers myself....will let you know of the results as soon as i get them installed. How much do the stillen headers go for anyway??? 210 bucks seems really cheap, how long ago was that?? just curious...thanks.

</font>

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Im gonna be trying out the pacesetter headers myself....will let you know of the results as soon as i get them installed. How much do the stillen headers go for anyway??? 210 bucks seems really cheap, how long ago was that?? just curious...thanks.

------------------
White
92 Nx2000
Cone intake, 19* timing, bosal performance muffler, 2.25" custom cat-back

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Oh, that was your exaust price, my bad, i thought taht sounded kinda low....oy....460 bucks ouch!! Oh well...i guess ill go with the pacesetter on my budget. According to se-r.net the performance gains with the stillen are a only a few hp difference. Thanks for the info.

------------------
White
92 Nx2000
Cone intake, 19* timing, bosal performance muffler, 2.25" custom cat-back

1 - 18 of 18 Posts