SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a set of projector headlights or a REAL HID light upgrade for my nx2000...anyone have any ideas?

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Well your going to have a tough time finding any, cause AFAIK no one makes any.

------------------
Jordan
1998 Sentra SE -
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, Timing @ 19, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights, 205/50/ Pirelli P700Z's

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm thinking about making some myself, but it would probably be easier and cheaper to just buy some...but not as fun.
being a theatrical lighting tech, i should be able to figure this **** out...maybe...

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Honestly whats the big deal with headlights? Why go through the trouble? I am getting the clear turn signals because the stock ones look like ass but other than that who really cares? The headlights work why not just spend your money on something else? Just my opinion though.

[This message has been edited by 97 Black SER (edited 12-22-2000).]

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I agree kbslacker, and now that I think about it I guess for the nx2000 it'd be cool to have the only set of projecters. In my position with my car being bone stock and not having all that much money, I don't even think about things like headlights. Once I'm done with my performance **** maybe that will change and I'll do some little things to make my car look nice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason i want better headlights is for:
a) first and most importantly, increased visibility of the surrounding area. i do a lot of driving at night, my eyes aren't all that great, and i don't want to hit a deer or something like that.

b) i am a professional lighting consultant/salesman. working in this industry makes me look at lighting a different way, and want to apply my abilities to anything possible, such as my headlights, or the lights in my bedroom.

III) the stock lights suck. i do not like the design or efficency (lumens/watt) of the stock 9004 series lamps. the light is too grainy, unbalanced, and leaves much for improvement.

d) it gives me something cheap to do while i save money to buy more performance stuff.

e) the stock headlights don't work. not the way i want them to.

6) in my opinion, paying attention to every minor detail makes all the difference between a well done project, and a classic sentra with a det, rusty paint, four bald tires, and a bad oil leak.

g) what the hell do you care? it's not your car i am working on. it's my car, so i will make it my car.

H) it'll look damn cool. trust me.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Could always do the PIAA thing, or some of the knockoff hyperwhite type bulbs. Never tried them myself though.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think there is a company that does sell the balasts(spelling) for the *real* hid light setup, but it costs over $1k. Which is pretty crazy for those lights. I guess you could find some nice new lexus, pop the hood, and just take all the hid crap outta there.. just an idea.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what i am looking at doing now is going for a setup of two cool white 50W MR-16 lamps for low beam and add in a 100W MR-16 lamp for High Beam..and possibly a yellow 10W MR-11 (smaller) for parking lights. this will require rebuilding the entire headlight mounts and re-doing the wiring. i am thinking of using relays.. this will be a projector-type setup with built in baffles to keep the light from disturbing other motorists. these lamps are the type used in some architectural tracklighting and store display set-ups...i just need to find four 50mm 20 degree and two 40 degree plano-convex lenses..i might not use lenses, i just have to see how it all works out. i am beginning testing tomorrow with a similar lamps... these things are only like 5-10 bucks, by the way.

another problem i have already encountered is i want to find some type of plexiglass front cover...a possibility is those stupid headlight blackouts for a camaro or something, i just a) don't know where to find them and b) don't think they make them for my car.. i am thinking about flushing the front of the unit with my front bumper...it would look completely different...

i am also looking into doing a type of LED setup for my brakelights and turn signals...wow i'm a dork..

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also, does anybody know where i can get the specs on HID ballasts, lamps, and overall system buildup?

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
haha, forget forget what I said yesterday. Sorry I was bein a bitch. Had a shitty day. Anyways I understand about saving up for performance. I just bought a few bolt on's and now I've gotta chill for a bit before buying my ecu, and cams. Sorry again and good luck with your project. Have a good christmas too man.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by forget:
another problem i have already encountered is i want to find some type of plexiglass front cover...a possibility is those stupid headlight blackouts for a camaro or something, i just a) don't know where to find them and b) don't think they make them for my car..

</font>
What about these?

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I think Mikes got the best idea yet. haha

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER Stock for now. Exhaust going on on January 5th. Hotshot header and Unorthodox Racing pulleys soon to follow.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, there is this system called Catz Zeta. Its a cheap alternative to the real HID. Its basically driving with your brights on. Go to www.fet-usa.com for some more info. There has been a lot of posts on clubsi about this system, so if you ever venture over there do a search on catz zeta.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
if you're good at fabricating how bout those projectors for ( i'm gonna get killed for this ) 92-95 civics. about the same size and adapt them to our lenses?

Blair
stock lights (clear taped and ready for battle)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
who makes the projectors for the civics?
i am not familiar with much honduh aftermarket stuff..

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm....transformers and ballasts...hmmm...

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mike, if you have a spare set of those lying around, just send them my way..

and i kinda like that, marc, but it is hard to make out what is going on there...

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts