SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was just wondering if it was normal for increased underhood temperature after installing the turbo on my NX2000. It get's pretty hot on the hood, so hot that you can't even leave your hand on the hood. And the radiator fans turn on more often. Just wanted to check if this was normal.
Thanks, for any help or comments,
Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well its not what you want to happen, but yes since the NX has very little in the way of ram air to begin with this is a common problem and one I had to face when a snail is slapped on. If you have a front-mount intercooler the problem is compounded. There are a number of things I tried that may be useful for you as well.

Check out my site at

http://homepage.mac.com/carlm/start.html

go to Mods II

There is a section on heat there.

I think a good solution that I didn't try is to cut space for a grille between the main headlights. This would direct a lot more ram air to the radiator. I do have a scoop cooling the turbo/motor but thats not the same. If the NX had a grille like the SE-Rs I think this problem would be diminished if not eliminated.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
As I understand it, NX's have a common problem with overheating, especially at the track (read: NX overheated at the convention
). That's where I heard this. So yes some provisions may want to be made. Someone with a white NX turbo on the se-r list got a custom hood to help this problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The SE-Rs have less of a problem with heat than the NXs.

This (IMHO) is because the SE-Rs have a scoop (underneath) and a grille (on top) in the fascia. When a front-mount intercooler fills the scoop, there is still ram-air coming in through the grille. The NX has only the scoop (underneath) and no grille.

I don't think a carbon hood would help here but you might also try removing the AC condenser (if you have it) to increase flow and decrease resistance. You'll obviously lose your AC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts