SR20 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as you all can tell im new here so i have alot of questions. first what is the auctal time the nx runs in 0-60? ive seen anything from 6.9 secs to 10.5 secs. Just on the 2000 and not the 1600. also has anyone ever seen a 2000 with digital dash? there is one here for sale but it is a 1600 so i was wondering if there is a 2000 with them? also has anyone put a supercharger on there 2000? not a turbo but supercharger? Im looking into it but helpful hints from someone that has would be nice. well that is all for now, so lets get those TT out and have some fun! Later Freaks!

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I think 6.9 is optimistic for a totally stock NX. However, it's pretty close. My car with stock exhaust, and no other mod but an intake did 0-60 in 7.3 seconds. If I started off in 2nd gear, I'm sure I could achieve that 10 second 0-60 time.

The digital dash was available only on the NX1600, which is a good thing, I think.

I believe at least one person has tried a supercharger on the SR20DE, but there's so much proven turbo stuff, that it really wouldn't be the wisest route towards practical, reliable horsepower.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
There have been several looooong posts on the SR20DE.net about turbos vs superchargers.
Mike Kojima threw down the gloves and challenged ANYbody to develope a superchager kit that would: 1) Be more streetable, 2) develope more HP/Torque, 3)pass emissions, and 4) do all of the above on pump gas. IIRC he said he'd put up $1K!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im sorry but i perfer supercharged over turbo. if you look the new model cars are going to go to supercharged (the cougar,focus,eclipse,cleica)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, I am the other way around, I much prefer a solid turbo. The supercharger just doesnt preoduce the "kick" that a turbo does. Sure there is more lag, but when it kicks in you definately feel it. Go for the supercharger system, if you have the money to do it you can have a very unique ride. I guess it partly depends on what you planning to do with it. Drag it? Have a mean street car?

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I don't see why you prefer a supercharger to a turbo.

Many newer cars are moving away from fully-independent suspension to a trailing beam, but that doesn't mean that it's better.

The easiest, cheapest, proven route to hp on our engines is turbocharging. Our engines already have the built bottom ends, and everything that's required.

If you want a supercharger on your SR20DE, the only reason would be to be different. Even though some other brands of newer vehicles use superchargers, that doesn't mean that they're better in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
well, I could see why someone would want a supercharger instead of a turbo 1)no lag 2)more bottom end power 3)do not have to run oil, water, all of the other kind of crap that you have to do with a turbo. I personally would rather have a turbo b/c they are proven and you can tune them to whatever power you want (within reality) sure they are harder to maintain than a supercharger, but more performance oppertunities. I don't know, it is a personal prefrence, but be ready to spend some money b/c NOBODY makes a supercharger kit for a sr20. I have seen a kit on a s13 sylvia in a pic from japan, but thats it

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, true i cant find a supercharger for the NX2000, ive been on the phone most of the day looking. So who makes a turbo for the NX2000?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
F-Maxx, Hotshot, JWT. And the reason car makers are going with superchargers and not turbos are 1) emmissions. 2) cost.
And as far as turbo lag, with a ball bearing turbo and electronic (waste gate) valve controllers, you'll get little or no turbo lag.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That's true, however, the main advantage that the turbo has over the supercharger is no parasitic HP/torque loss. Superchargers require tourque in order to make more torque. Turbos, on the other hand do not. In fact a turbo equipped motor is more efficient than a supercharged motor, because the turbo recovers wasted thermal energy that would have just gone out the exhaust, (which is why internal combustion engines aren't 100% efficient) and turns it into HP/torque.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.