SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to introduce myself... I am 16 and i live in charlotte, nc. I learned of the se-r from se-r.net and ever since wanted one for myself. I gave up hope in finding one cause at the time i didnt have a job nor could i even find an se-r. Then everything came together!!! I got a job at the airport and a few weeks later a '93 Black SE-R popped up on autotrader. I was so elated that i scared my mom. 2 days later the car was mine! When i test drove the car the guy selling it asked me what all cars i was looking to buy before i found that car. I simply replied, "I wasnt in the market for a car, I WANTED AN SE-R!". Well now i have it and it has the usual problems. 5th gear has not popped out and the previous owner said he never had any trobels. ive put back one grand just incase(it hurts!). It also suffers from the other se-r problems. i.e. broke engine mounts, worn struts, and two new dunlops to accompany the worn old dunlops. Also the car has almost 98 000 miles on it. I plan to restore it to original condition and then do boltons, Header,Intake,Exhaust,and maybe cams. Some day she might get a turbo!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WELCOME ABOARD young lad.
Congradulations on your purchase!
Now sell it quick and buy a Honda!!!
J/K!! Wish you luck with your car.
There are alot of helpful people here.
C U 'round.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have never heard about the strut problem but I know my struts are GONE. Is there something I should know about???? DO they wear fast for some reason?

BTW, welcome

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome to the group! Since your's is a '93 I wouldn't worry about that 5th gear popping out. I do believe Nissan took care of that by '93. With that money saved do yourself a favor and get the Motivational shortened struts up front to replace the worn stock units. You'll no longer need to worry over limited suspension travel up front. guys, any other opinions?

·
Registered
858 Posts
welcome! energy suspension motormount inserts from courtesy nissan much cheaper 75 bucks for the set. 25% off all nissan parts but tell them you heard from them from se-r .net and you'll get the discount for life. the number is 1-800-527-1909 have a card ready.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Garage Queen: 91 VG30DETT
251 Posts
it's probably the car has a lot of miles and kinda old why the struts are worn out. i found out the mine were out at around 40k when i decided to change the springs. i just replaced them with tokicos.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, what a welcome! Thanks for all the information. I think i wanna upgrade what i feel is lacking first... Power! The se-r has great handling even with worn out struts so ill delay that a few months. I have decided ill do a JWT Pop-Charger. Whats the cheapest i can find it... i even looked in the used parts on se-r.net and found two. Any input on if i should just spend extra and get it new or settle for used.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Before you do any performance modding, do a complete tune up. SCC got 14 dynoed whp on their Project Sentra SE-R just from changing the normal tune-up stuff (plugs, wires, dizzy, cap, rotor, etc.). Recalibrate your TPS, do a MAF reground, clean out that TB. Bump up your timing to 19 degrees (and use 92 oct gas). STP motor flush and fresh Mobil 1. The new parts/timing light shouldn't cost you more than $120 (about the price of a POP) and your car will feel much better than what a POP charger can do to it. And rather the POP, save your $ for the HS or TPR CAI. 8 dynoed whp rather than the 3 (if you're lucky) with the POP.

As for motor mounts, beware the ES motor mounts will give some vibration (I don't mind it all, but it's there) through the steering wheel, pedals, etc. Your hood might rattle too. But, it tightens up the front end of your car too.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, definitely do a thorough tune-up. How is the clutch? any records from the previous owner about the clutch? ACT clutches are highly regarded, I use the Centerforce Dual Friction. One other thing, before you go adding go-fast parts, check the brakes. Have fun!

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Yes, these guys have definitely pinpointed your directions. Here's a good order to follow:

1. Start with the tune-up that Antonio mentioned. Follow it COMPLETELY. I did similar at 100k and it's a great feeling.

2. Make damn sure that car is safe: Do the brakes like Norub said. Also, brakes aren't **** if the front-end, struts, and springs are in bad shape. Here's the list for that:
A. Replace ALL of the struts. Get at least the Tokicos. They aren't awesome but they're okay. If you've saved back a grand you may want to go with the KYB AGXs or GR2s. I have the Tokicos and, like I said, they're okay.
B. Your stock springs are okay but if you want a little better emergency handling at least get some Eibach Sportlines or Prokits. They're both good springs. Hey ya'll, share your other choices for springs!
C. Have a professional check out the front end to make sure the linkages, bushings, CV half-axles, and other vitals to that "tight new car" feeling are in good shape. I also did this at 100k and it helps a TON.

3. THEN get those mounts done!

Everyone else mentioned these but I think this is a good order to go in because it's easy on you and your pocketbook!

------------------
Jason N. -- '92 Black Classic
JWT ECU
JWT S3 Cams
JWT POP Adapted to:
PRI CAI
HS Gen 2 Header
2 1/2" Pipe in CAT's Place
GReddy Cat Back
NT555 Drag Radials on 2 stock 14x5.5s.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree Jason. Taking care of the suspension and braking first would be best. I mean what good is it to have a powerful (or better than stock) engine but with a shitty suspension and braking that is marginal? You won't enjoy the car that way. Get it to handle and brake first.

As for springs, I really don't know. I still would like to see a 1" drop spring with rates like 250 lb front/200 lb rear or something similar (for AGX struts). But then again if I had the Motivational short struts then Eibach Sportlines would be ok.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THe previous owner never replaced the clutch but of course he drove conservatively. He also said that he had a tuneup done at 92000 miles so i feel that it is in good tune. Currently i get an average of 32mpg so i think he was honest on the tuneup. The throttle body is dirty so ill clean that and as a minimum check the sensors. Ill probably run royal purple instead of mobil 1. Royal Purple's web site has a dyno chart of several car's that made more power from it! I do not know of a similar clame from mobil 1 so ill stick to royal purple

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can do the tune up this weekend... but i forgot to ask where you guys get your aftermarket parts... i.e. do you have a local speed shop or do you have some sort of catalog. I dont have a very good idea of how much AGX's are or even tokicos.
As for springs, I dont want to lower it any cause i despise the show look.
About brakes. My brakes "seem" good but with no way of recording numbers that doesnt mean much. Do you people recommend upgrading the brakes first or simply having them checked out. Before i bought the car i took a long test drive and my mechanic and i looked at it on a lift and gave it a thorough inspection of bushings, cables, brakes and other things. Then ill look into motor mounts. Anybody got a ballpark figure for how much it is. Ill have to get a mechanic to do it.

[This message has been edited by se-rious93 (edited 07-13-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts