Anyone know how or where I can go to
get this fix in the NY,NJ area at a good
price and done right? I check the SE-R net, they list all the parts but what
hell do I know about transmissions.
Nissan whats $$$$ for this job.
Thanks
Gary C 91 se-r 4SPEED

------------------

91 SE-R PRI\wJWT,HKS SportExhaust,Magnecores,and the list goes on & on.

·
Registered
858 Posts
dude this fixup is basically rebuilding your tranny with the new part numbers. aamco did mine for $1000 and change. unless you want to get a junkyard one but then you don't know if it's good or not.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow $1800 thats scary. I still don't
know why Nissan didn't do a recall on
this.
I'm not feeling to proud about owning
two Nissans right now.
91 SE-R
99 Quest SE

------------------

·
Registered
202 Posts
My buddy wrote Nissan about the 5th gear popout issue in his '92 Classic and they sent him $800. We didn't think it would work but figured it was worth a try- couldn't believe it when the check arrived. Give it a try.

G

·
LANCE, YOUR BUDDY WROTE TO NISSAN AND THEY SENT HIM A CHECK??! WHAT DID HE WRITE TO THEM? JUST COURIOUS, I WOULD LIKE TO START ON THAT PROJECT NEXT. THE EXTRA FUNDS WOULD BE GREAT!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
He just wrote a detailed, professional letter outlining his situation- he's a loyal Nissan owner, wants to buy more Nissans in the future, attached copies of the bills he'd paid, let them know he was aware of the problem occuring in other SE-Rs, and asked very nicely for some sort of help. He got either $500 or $800, I can't recall which. Give it a try- I'll email you the letter if you want.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lance, I'm gonna give it a try too.

------------------

·
Registered
222 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
aamco did mine for $1000 and change.</font>
Redman, how much of that was labor and how much was for parts?? I was wondering 'cause the Aamco by me gave me a quote of aroud $360 for the labor to fix it, and to put in a new clutch as well, but I havent fixed it yet. How did the cost break down on yours?

jason

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds like it's worth a try I have been without a 5th gear for about a year and hate it, can you email me a copy of the letter also. TIA

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
Soon to be NOS fed

·
Registered
858 Posts
I forgot what the brake down was but I know the manager and I brought in 2 cars to work on so he hooked me up. but usually it goes for 1500-18oo bucks to do this. I'm surprized that nissan actually gave some money for a fix up. I wanted a letter stating that my car has abs and my dealer said that it wasn't a stock item for that year. when i paid an extra 650 bucks from the dealer for it(abs) .needed the letter for insurance discount.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can do a clucht job you can do a 5th pop out fix. All you have to do is get an fsm ,gear puller and snap ring pliers. Buy the parts from courtesy as listed on the ser.org.
Hector Firpo

·
Registered
222 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SE-Rican:
I JUST BOUGHT A NEW 5SPD TRANNY FROM NISSAN I PAID $1700 BRAND NEW. SHIFTING IS INCREDIBLE WITH A NEW TRANNY
</font>
Oh really? Hmm, I was thinking about just trying to find a remanufactured trans rather than have mine fixed. Never thought a new one from Nissan would cost that much, I figured it would be much more. I'll talk to the guys at the dealer near me to see if I can get the same price.

jason

·
Registered
194 Posts
I ended up buying a '95 tranny off of a guy on SE-R net. It was $500 shipped, great condition. Just got it in last week too. There was a few things that you needed to do to get it to work though, like swap the speed sensor out, patch up the mysterious hole (unless you had the sensor in there just cut the wires), and change the oil seals. It wasn't that hard to do.

Mel

·
Registered
222 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel E Bog:
I ended up buying a '95 tranny off of a guy on SE-R net...
Mel
</font>
What year is your car Mel? I was told I couldnt do that b/c my '91 has a mechanical sensor and the later models have an electric. But your saying they can be swapped just like that? Isnt there another sensor too that needs to be switched? If you wouldnt mind giving me more details on it, I would greatly appreciate it. I was planning on borrowing the money from the bank of mom and dad and have it fixed this or next week, but now i think i will wait and look into the alternatives.

jason

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 92 SE-R. You have to take the speed sensor out of the 92 and swap it into the 95 tranny. Plus the 95 tranny has an extra sensor hole that you have to plug up somehow. I got an small aluminum sheet with a hole punched in it and just bolted it over the hole. Worked fine. It wasn't really that hard to do either. I think the whole swap would've taken not even a day to do it but we only worked on it a little at a time and this was my first tranny swap.

Mel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I change the trans oil "again", this
time with regular 80w90 gear oil and not
the 75w90 Synthetic oil that i've used in
the past. S O B!!!!!! No more pop outs.
At least not on the way back & forth to work.(15mi) Thats all I ask for now. Hope
its holds up for now, to I get it fix.

"2.0" Baby!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

·
Registered
202 Posts
Are there any risks with going from synthetic trans oil to dino? I heard someplace you weren't supposed to do that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No

1 - 20 of 24 Posts