SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big problem gang, Im an idiot. Well, got my cam out and started to tighten the #1 bearing cap bolt to 52FT pounds like Haynes says to. Well, it seemed to turn and turn and the torque wrench wasnt clicking, then SNAP! Yes, it broke inside the head. I notice the bolts seem to be a really strong metal, will an easy-out work or am I going to have to try the ole tap the end with a chisel and hope I can get a flat head to turn it out? Its about 3/4 of an inch inside. This really sucks, I was hoping to tool around town in it tonight too! I also noticed when I put the cam in and set the caps on top, there seemed to be a 1/16-1/32 cap between the head and caps. Is that normal? I know I had the cam set in the exact position as how I took the other out. Any and all help is of course, greatly appreciated!!!!

·
0 Posts
My prayers are with you tonight. Isnt that a bitch!!
I hate when all you want to do is a simple job and **** goes wrong!!! AARRGGHHH! I feel you man!

------------------
-

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aww come on 94, that aint the answer I was needing! HAHA! I think my friend Jim Beam is coming over tonight to help me sort things out. Yeah, its a bitch alright, especially when the Import/Domestic drags are tomorrow in Clay City! DOH!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy ****! I just realized what I did. The book says first step to torque to 52 "INCH" lbs. Of course me being in a hurry to run her up and down the street, tried torquing it to 52 "FOOT" lbs. I swear, as bugs bunny says: "What a maroon!" Just need to figure out how to get taht bad boy out. We got an easy out to hook in the broken bolt, but the 15.6V cordless isnt even trying to handle the torque. Guess I am going to have to break out the Big Dewalt on it tomorrow. If anyone knows of some ways to help the process, free-all sprayed in the hole, heat up around the hole with a torch, whatever, will be greatly helpful!

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ProjectSE-R:
Holy ****! I just realized what I did. The book says first step to torque to 52 "INCH" lbs. Of course me being in a hurry to run her up and down the street, tried torquing it to 52 "FOOT" lbs. I swear, as bugs bunny says: "What a maroon!" Just need to figure out how to get taht bad boy out. We got an easy out to hook in the broken bolt, but the 15.6V cordless isnt even trying to handle the torque. Guess I am going to have to break out the Big Dewalt on it tomorrow. If anyone knows of some ways to help the process, free-all sprayed in the hole, heat up around the hole with a torch, whatever, will be greatly helpful!</font>
Sorry but this reminds me of something that I would do! Bust out that Dewalt or get an impact drill and get that sucker out!! Wish I could do more, bro. I swear Im praying for you though!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, well I think it'll come out with enough cussing and turning. This just gives me more time to finish painting the valve cover. I tell you what though, this damn car better lay fire on the earth after its all overwith, lol. I doubt it but it never hurts to hope! I am not even trying to have to take the head off and have a machine shop drill and retap it, uh uh.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
the reason you have a gap between the head and the cam is because the valves and springs need to be compressed. When you tighten the cam do using the procedure in whatever manual you have, the cam will press the valves down.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks Eric, that at least lets me breath easier when it comes time to reassemble....with the correct torque specs this time, not using HULK SPECS!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well first off it's 17" lbs, then 52" lbs, then (Aside from the two 12mm bolts on the dist cam cap) 96" lbs in numeric order.

Sorry to hear you snapped the bitch, and easy out should do it.

You see a gap because you have to compress the valve springs. Remember some lobes are on the down swing. That's why you torque in sequence to not snap a cam or bind it up as you are compressing the spring.

------------------
Jay Hassinger
B14 Turbo 409whp (Sold)
91 TSi 11.80's for under 5 grand including the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts