SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know squat about gauges but I really want to get an electrical oil pressure gauge for my car. Did some searching and found out that you need to plug in the gauge in the stock sensor for the idiot light. People keep mentioning a 'T' but I have no clue what this is referring to. Is it a piece that simply allows both sensors to be plugged in? Also, where would I get one? Also, I have a lightened fidanza flywheel so the CEL is on all the time so getting rid of the idiot light wouldn't present a problem. Help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm picking up an Autometer gauge, except they have around 50 varities. Any suggestions?

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
You should just leave the stock oil pressure sending unit disconnected. It is a POS and will not throw a CEL.

Just thred your new oil pressure gauge line in to the block and you're done! Go mechanical, response is much better.

Oh BTW, you're new line fitting is probably 1/8" NPT, so you will need an adapter that goes in to your metric threaded block. I think its a BSPT to 1/8" NPT fitting.

·
little Thunder
1,969 Posts
Most members use the NisSport Oil adapter to be able to "T" the oem oil press sensor and the after market sensor.

Remove the OEM oil press sensor and replace with the nissport adapter. Install the OEM sensor on the nissport adapter. Install the aftermarket sensor or pressure line on the nissport adapter.

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Why even use the stock sending unit?

That thing should be called the "Your ****ed" sending unit, because by the time the low oil light comes on, you're ****ED.

·
8,886 Posts
The best way to do it is to switch the stock unit out with a new sender that triggers a light at 15-20psi. That way your idiot light will come on when the engine is at idle but not once the car is moving. In fact it will likely blink at idle. On the track if you see the light you know you need to stop RIGHT NOW. Then run another sender for the actual pressure gauge. Use the Nisport adapter to do this. Or skip the OEM light. Personally I like the light.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help. So if I decide to simply remove the OEM sensor, would I still need the T or will the new sensor swap right in?

One other question, I could not find a 3 gauge pillar for the b14 but I heard one designed for the Integra works. Is this true and if so; what year Integra and is it a good fit?

btw, ouch, $50 for a stupid little modified bolt. geez :(

·
8,886 Posts
Call egauges and get all your stuff from them. They can help you. Really good guys. You may need to use another source for the adapter into the block but the rest is easy. Get electric gauges made by VDO. Quality stuff at a very fair price. Do not mix and match senders and gauges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts