SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for no apparent reason my check engine light came on. Just driving around, not thrashing. Engine seems to idle fine, oil is at right level, engine stays cool, accelerates like normal....??????

Is there a way to reset the light? I'm thinking maybe it was a glitch.

mine is a 96 ser.

help, help, help!

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Check to see which code it's throwing. The procedure is detailed on SE-R.net

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
705 Posts
Jack up your car real quick, and take a look at your rear o2 sensor. i bet the ground wire from the cat to the underside of the car might have ripped. It happens to a few cars (including mine and MarCs)cuz it just gets rusted and breaks from vibration. No big deal. im living with the check engine light right now. If it bothers u, just put a piece of electrical tpae over it, lol. the procedures for checking codes are on se-r.net. chances are its somethin dumb like that if you havent noticed a difference in performance.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
244 Posts
i hate those stupid lights. my batt and brake light have been on since i bought the car, was told i had a bad alternator so i got it fixed and the stupid lights are still on, Nissan says they dont know why the lights wont go off. just another glitch.

------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake, clear bumper lenses and more to come!!!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Funny mines came on yesterday after washing the engine. Took it to an Infinity Dealer out of all places after Nissan insisted to charge me $75 just to have the mechanic reset it and possibly replace the problem causing the check engine light to come on. In the middle of his sentence I walked out swearing at his proposal. Guy told me it was due to water possibly getting into the spark plugs from the water and it was my Front O2 sensor that came on. They reset it for NO CHARGE and I was on my way. Luckily the guy who reset the ECU owns a 91 SER
What is the luck of that. And all the guys couldn't get enough of seeing a Infinity SER since I have the Chrome grille and my triple pod gauge A Pillar. Just take it to a dealer and tell them to reset it. And they'll give you a print out of what the problem is too.

------------------
Peter
..on AIM = NyceP26
97 200SX SE-R
PR CAI,JWT ECU (with correct timing now @ 15TDC),91 INTAKE CAM,
KYB AGX,EIBACH SPORTLINE,
FSTB, F/R X-DRILLED ROTORS,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
o.k. just in case anybody was wondering. The real way of getting rid of the check engine light...not the "I think this should work...." answer. It takes like 10 minutes so you don't have to wait all night or 24 hours, etc. On the back of our computers there is a diagnostic screw. Turn it counterclockwise for 2 seconds, then clockwise for 2 seconds. Then do it one more time like before...presto! Plus it saves you like $40-70 from the $tealership!

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Yeah, it's easy. Just remove some of those plastic panels under the center console in the front of the car, then you locate the computer and just turn the little screw. I can't believe the dealer would charge $75 just for that.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ goodies
15.1 @ 90mph at Englishtown, NJ

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nitrous_50:
[B On the back of our computers there is a diagnostic screw. Turn it counterclockwise for 2 seconds, then clockwise for 2 seconds. Then do it one more time like before...presto! Plus it saves you like $40-70 from the $tealership![/B]</font>
Or you could just not do anything at all, and after 500 starts, it resets itself automatically
If it starts to bother you before you get to 500, put a piece of electrical tape over the lgiht, lol. Beleieve me, 500 seems like a lot, but it took mine a very short time to get to 500, like just a couple months.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts