SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions? Was driving to work this morning on the highway. Have my new high compression motor installed. Everything was running smoothly. Doing about 65mph in 5th gear. All the sudden my dash lights come on and silence.
I pull over to the shoulder and try to start the car. It cranks but won't start. I popped the hood and did an inspection. Oil and coolant levels are fine, spark plugs wires in, no loose connections that I could see. No leaks that I could see. I checked my ECU for trouble codes and got 55 (no problems).

Some engine specifics:

JWT fuel rail with MSD 50 lb/hr injectors
New fuel filter
JWT ECU
C2 cams
New rotor and distributor cap
Nology wires (always worked fine)
New coolant temp sensor and temp gauge sensor

Other troubleshooting things I did:

Turn ignition on and hear the fuel pump go on and pressurize (300ZX TT pump)
Belts are tight
All alternator connections are in place
Battery connections are tight

I'm praying that it is something electrical. I can't imagine it could be something mechanical. As I said, I heard no unusual noises or felt any strange vibrations prior to the car shutting off. It just went off.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Steve

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
When you crank it does it turn over? Need more details about what the car does not what has been done to the car.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AaroNX said:
When you crank it does it turn over? Need more details about what the car does not what has been done to the car.
Yes, it turns over but will not start. Not even a hint of it i.e. partial start and then stall. Although I'm now at work and our mechanic is working on something else at the moment, we will first be checking if there is spark. I guess that will determine which direction to go. If no spark, then check wires, distributor, coil, and power transistor.

If spark then check fuel rail wiring harness. Does this sound about right?

Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
check the MAF plug or ground. Also check all of the relays and fuses. Over the winter i had my CAI disconnect from the MAF while I was driving and the same thing happened to me.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We attached a spark tester to the #1 wire and grounded it. Cranked the motor and got no spark.

So far: rotor and distributor cap look normal. Tested ignition coil and it was within specs. Also got 12 volts to ignition coil harness connector. Was testing power transistor (3 metal prongs). Two of three resistance tests passed. Had a question on the third one. Do you know what an Infinity signal would look like on my Fluke multimeter?

Also there is a resistor below the ignition coil. Tested that and it was 2.2 kohms which is just what it should read.

Could a bad alternator cause this?

STeve

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Check your fuses. Mine did the exact same thing once. It was on the left side 3 or 4 down I think. Also have you checked the coil wire?

·
Registered
122 Posts
thepep said:
We attached a spark tester to the #1 wire and grounded it. Cranked the motor and got no spark... Was testing power transistor (3 metal prongs). Two of three resistance tests passed.
It's not a bad alternator. The car uses the battery to start and if the alternator's bad, then the battery would have zero charge, hence you wouldn't get any current to anything.

Also, don't trust the FSM's troubleshooting chart fo the power transistor - it's wrong. I posted these revisions to the SE-R Mailing List in June of '01:

As a side note, the troubleshooting/testing chart in the FSM regarding the power transistor is INCORRECT in parts. Changes to the chart for testing a GOOD power transistor should be -A to +B, open (infinity) is GOOD and -A to +C, open (infinity) is GOOD. The chart indicates no resistance (0, or completely closed) is bad and infinite resistance (infinity, or completely open) is bad. Additionally, for those settings in the chart that indicate somewhere between 0 and infinity is good, that reading will be roughly 1.5kohms.

As it turned out, my problem was not the power transistor, but a broken wire in the harness leading to the power transistor. You have to check continuity between the harness connector and the ECU to check this - unfortunately, I don't recall the ECU pins to check, but the FSM might show them.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AaroNX said:
Check your fuses. Mine did the exact same thing once. It was on the left side 3 or 4 down I think. Also have you checked the coil wire?
Checked the fuses inside the car this morning. Anything related to ignition or ECU. They were all okay.

Checked for spark coming out of coil wire. None. Will check coil wire itself in about 10 minutes although I would think the odds of the coil wire being bad are pretty remote.

Steve

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
thepep said:
Do you know what an Infinity signal would look like on my Fluke multimeter?
Infinity is an open connection. Just like if you were holding the two probes in the air, not touching anything.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts