SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is normal behavior, but my temperature gague is really fluctuating. When driven normally (30+ MPH), the temperature seems fine. Once the engine has been warmed up, (like 20 minutes of driving) then left at idle, the temperature will slowly rise and rise till it gets to the "H" and then usually the fans come on to cool it down. When the fans come on, it will bring the temp down to normal or right in the middle. Then it goes back up again. Usually when it goes up the 2nd time, it stays in the upper portion of the gague. Sometimes it flickers up really quick waaay pass the "H" and back to the "H" really fast several times. That's when I get scared and turn off the engine to let it cool. NOTE: THIS ONLY HAPPENS DURING IDLE.

I'm wondering if this is a radiator problem. If it is, I might have to get a new one. Would a stock factory radiator be okay, or go for an aftermarket one? Could it be anything else? I already tried changing the thermostat, but the results are still the same. Radiator cap? or perhaps a malfunctioned sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

·
Registered
756 Posts
Maybe the thermostat? My last car's thermostat had hard water build up on it, so the spring wouldnt open when it was supposed to, causing the engine to over heat.

G

·
0 Posts
I had similar problem with my "93 Toyota PickUp 3 years ago. the engine overheated and smoke even came out. it looked..cool but i said, ahh ****. i've better pull over and stop. Found out it was the thermal stat.
Had it replaced and it's good to go.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Check the easy stuff first....like coolent level, then change the radiator cap. Usualy the problem and last checked thing. Then the T-stat. Then the temp sensor. Id almost bet that there is either air in your system, or a bad cap.

·
Registered
858 Posts
thermostat ,cap and then if needed coolant sensor, but I doubt you'll need that. oh and flush your radiator to clean all the gunk causing heat and stuff.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
my temp on my 96 SE-R used to do that...it was the temp sensor on the side of the block...it was loose. i just fidgeted with it until it was a little more flush against the block...cuz it looks to me like it can swivel...it's a 1 prong connector near the oil filter...black..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
513 Posts
Did you check your coolant level to make sure is is close to the "max" line on the resevoir? My car used to do this occasionally. I then realized that, after filling the resevoir with coolant a few times, that it was good to go. Give it a shot and just monitor your fluid level for like two weeks. If that is the prob.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys...
As for the thermostat, when I first noticed this was happening, the thermostat was the first thing I changed. The results were the same, as I had stated. I will check the to see if the sensor is loose like silversx said. Then add some more coolant into the resevoir. If things still happen, I'll change the radiator cap. Hopefully it'll work. I'll keep ya informed.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
858 Posts
flush that puppy!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">flush that puppy!</font>
Exactly what I'm gonna do next. I filled up the resevoir, bought a new radiator cap and checked the sensor, and it still does it. The sensor was very very dirty, and when I first cleaned it, I thought I solved it. But the next day, same normal behavior. Gonna flush the cooling system next. Hope that works.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
silversx: As far as the sensor goes, I think it's alright. It goes in and stays pretty tight (I hear a click sound). But the housing that the sensor snaps on to, seems dirty and rusty... (not the metal piece that's screwed into the block). Maybe this is causing the problems?? When I first cleaned out the sensor, I thought my problems were fixed. I took it around town, blasting the A/C on setting 4. Came back home, let it idle for like 15 minutes (Usually takes like 5 minutes for the temp sensor to go up), nothing happened. But the very next day, while just driving around town, I noticed the temp sensor right in the middle. It worried me, so I let it idle, and same problems again.

bump909: As you can see from above, the problem is not fixed yet. I "tried" flushing the cooling system but somehow cannot get the block drain plug to be loose. I think I stripped the bolt.
Anyways I did drain the radiator and filled it with new coolant and water. But the problems still exist.

I saw a product at the local Kragen. It was a NOS coolant additive. It's suppose to lower the temperature or something. Thinking about buying it but not sure yet.

I also noticed that right to the right of the radiator cap (which I changed w/ a new one) where there's a hose that leads from the radiator to the block, it seems like there might be a leak cause I see green sludge built around the plastic housing that the hose hooks onto. Could this be the problem?

------------------
96 200SX SE-R

Temporarily using a 50 shot dry nitrous system. Don't know if I should keep it.

[This message has been edited by SERacer (edited 07-28-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts