SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thanks for reading my post.
Last October my 94 suddenly lost all of it's coolant while I was driving on the highway(yup at 65mph). THe engine stopped and I had her towed back home....so I put in a new waterpump(what a pain in the A$$)and started her up. I was sooooo proud until she started making crazy rattling sounds in one of the cylinders. It sounded like something dropped in the cylinder and was bouncing all over the place. I drove her around the block a few times to see if she was down on power(figured it would be a lil weak if it was a valve down in there)...well it had full power...so I put her to sleep for a while(or until I missed her enough and had the cash to fix it right)..so here I am this weekend...I started it up and still sounded scary so I pulled the valve cover(crossing my fingers that I would see what was wrong with her.)....no luck...I think I'm going to see if I can find one of those fiber-optic tools to look into the cylinder before I pull the head off...Does anyone have any suggestions before I tear into my head? Or Ideas what it might be.
Thanks all, and thanks for this great BB, it's way better than some other one I was on a few months ago.
Rob

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
compression test, stethascope, ect. did your car overheat really bad, or just for a second? if it went for a while, it could be a bad bearing, warped block (doubtful) head, headgasket, it could be almost anything, but get a stethascope on it (you can buy one at an auto parts store) and listen to each cylinder, then do a compression test, if one is off by more than 15-20 psi, it is pretty much screwed.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I think the way to check for rod knock was to run the car with the hood open. Pull one spark plug wire off and if the knocking goes away that cylinder has a problem. If not, replace the plug and try the next cylinder. I hope to never become familiar with this procedure, so check the archives under rod knock, bearing knock, spun bearing, maybe even through Roffe in there for good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.....I haven't gotten into it yet but will this week...I pulled the valve cover off to see if there was anything outta place...but no luck...a couple of the middle cam lobes seem like they are worn (lil scratches)but nothing out of the ordinary....The last response I got said to check the archives on rod knock etc...whats the best way to go about checking the archives?-Thanks Rob

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You could have also warped the head. That might make the rockers move around a bit(noise). But if that happend I doubt the car would run at all.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts