SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please contribute to the feeding of the knowledge hungry, me!, by please layin it down once and for all, these terms:
double clutching
rev matching

i keep hearing different opposing things about what each means. but what ive gathered is that 'double clutching', would just single clutching for us nowadays, just clutch in, blip throttle, let clutch out. rev matching is just revving up to the correct rpm on a downshift(say using the heel toe method).
so if this is all correct, then you could say ' i double clutched on a 4-3 downshift and rev matched.' eh?? do i have these terms down, or am i completely wrong?? can you only do these on dowhshifting?? and is all granny shifting(on upshifts) just when you don't uhm power shift.(dont let go of gas during shift)
AS YOU CAN SEE I AM A VERY CONFUSED MAN! HELP FEED THE HUNGRY!

G

·
this is a regional/generational thing. You will get all kinds of different responses---I won't bother with what it means to me---people are just going to disagree anyways and you will be more confused

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
double clutching.. hitting the clutch twice when downshifting.. once when taking out of gear X once when putting into gear Y...
rev matching would be a 'blip' of the throttle when downshifting so that the crankshaft is moving at the same speed as the input shaft on the tranny so that it is a smoother downshift.

later

G

·
I agree with pnwser--that is my thoughts too. I have heard a few other definitions as well for both.
You would only do this if you have no synchromesh or worn synchromesh--not sure what other reason you would do this.

·
Registered
723 Posts
rev matching = matching rpm to where it should be on the intended gear... mostly used for downshifts...doesnt really do anything

double clutching = rev matching WHILE in neutral with the clutch up... that way u can match the layshaft speed to save wear on the synchros (whose job is to do said function)...

double clutch = clutch in, stick to neutral, clutch up, match revs, clutch in , stick in gear, clutch out

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, but isnt what you just described for double clutching just what they used to use. and now we can just do single cluthing to rev match

1 - 7 of 7 Posts